What should I do differently

Options
For the past month I have been doing everything right I think, I eat pretty well and exercise but I have only lost 1 pound to date. Please take a look at my diary and tell me why I'm not losing
Thanks

Replies

• ejha77
    ejha77 Posts: 63
    Options
    I don't think you're eating enough, especially on days on which you exercise. (How accurate are your exercise calories, by the way?)

Also, you're not logging every day so it's not possible to tell if you're taking days off, etc.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    1. Are you wearing a HRM to make sure your exercise burn is accurate? You're logging some really big burns.
    2. You're not tracking on the weekends.
    3. Too many days when you're not eating at least 1,200 net calories.
    4. You're not eating back your exercise calories.
    5. You're not consistent in logging the amount of water you drink. You need a minimum of 8 cups per day and a lot more on the days you excercise.
    6. Are you using a food scale to accurately measure your food?

Good luck.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I went back about a week or so and there were 3 days of no logging. There was a fair amount of fast food/prepackaged foods. And your calorie counts were all over the place.

So let's start at the beginning.

In your goals, how many pounds did you aim to lose a week? With only 20 pounds to lose, you should have it set at either .5lbs per week or 1lb per week.

You're going to have to log consistently.

What sort of exercise are you doing? If it's mainly cardio, you may want to add some strength training to your routine. How are you calculating your exercise calories? From MFP, from a machine at the gym, from a HRM?

Do you measure portions or do you eyeball them? Measuring is more accurate(especially if you have a food scale and are weighing).

Are you tracking your physcial measurements as well as your weight? Your measurements will often go down even when the scale is being uncooperative.
  • bellisima6
    bellisima6 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies for all the answers, keep them coming.
    To answer a few of your questions, I aimed to lose 2 pounds/week, I get my exercise burn from the machine. I do cardio but also strength training as well. I use a food scale. I drink a lot of water about 78 ounces at work during the day and another 32 ounces while at the gym. I should star tracking on the week end now that I have the app on my phone.
    I guess I will continue until the scale decides to move.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Also, take your measurements. Many people will lose 2 inches off of their waist but the scale doesn't budge. I do my measurements every couple of weeks that way if the scale isn't moving I still see improvement (good for my mental health!).
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies for all the answers, keep them coming.
    To answer a few of your questions, I aimed to lose 2 pounds/week, I get my exercise burn from the machine. I do cardio but also strength training as well. I use a food scale. I drink a lot of water about 78 ounces at work during the day and another 32 ounces while at the gym. I should star tracking on the week end now that I have the app on my phone.
    I guess I will continue until the scale decides to move.

I would reset the goal to .5 per week or 1lb per week. If you try to lose too quickly, you're going to lose muscle which is going to impede your efforts. Mine is set to 1 lb per week and I'm losing (started Feb 27th on MFP with 33 pounds to lose).

I rarely track my water either, although I should start. I have no problem going through 2 liters a day minimum though, which is pretty easy to tell as I can see it on my Brita (water filtration system).

The machines at the gym are often not all that accurate when it comes to calorie burns, especially if you don't have good form. For example, when people use their arms to support their weight on a treadmill or the elliptical or bike, they aren't using their full weight in the exercise, so the 'calories burned' estimate is far too high. (You may not do that, but I see plenty of people who do. Those rails are there for balance only, and the monitor is not there for one to lean on. )
  • ejha77
    Options
    I get my exercise burn from the machine
    Ah; these can be WAY out. I use a heart-rate monitor to track mine. Is that an option? I know they can be expensive.
  • ratkaj
    ratkaj Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    For the past month I have been doing everything right I think, I eat pretty well and exercise but I have only lost 1 pound to date. Please take a look at my diary and tell me why I'm not losing
    Thanks

Past month??? Your diary starts March 21st??

it's only the 29th and if this is right 1lb is good.
  • esorcel
    esorcel Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    It looks like sodium has a lot to do with your trouble losing weight. Even though fast-food and prepackaged foods claim themselves to be healthy, they are often loaded with sodium that makes you retain water weight.

Try preparing your own foods. Make them in large batches so you can freeze them. Buy lower sodium option for foods. They may be hard for you to eat at first because you may not be used to it, but you'd eventually adapt.

Try varying your exercises. Our body tends to get comfortable with the same exercises, but keep your body guessing what's next so you won't hit a plateau.
  • Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    1. Are you wearing a HRM to make sure your exercise burn is accurate? You're logging some really big burns.
    2. You're not tracking on the weekends. TRACK every day and every thing so your records are accurate for yourself!
    3. Too many days when you're not eating at least 1,200 net calories.
    4. You're not eating back your exercise calories.
    5. You're not consistent in logging the amount of water you drink. You need a minimum of 8 cups per day and a lot more on the days you excercise.
    6. Are you using a food scale to accurately measure your food?

EXACTLY what I was going to say! And, if you only have 15 lbs to lose, you need to change your weekly loss goal to 1 lb per week to adjust what you should be eating...sounds crazy, but you will lose better trying to lose 1 than 2 lbs per week.
  • bellisima6
    bellisima6 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Ah; these can be WAY out. I use a heart-rate monitor to track mine. Is that an option? I know they can be expensive.

But I started before joining MFP
  • ejha77
    Options

But I started before joining MFP
    What's that got to do with it?