So, I really don't understand carbs.

Options
I know this is probably a really dumb question. But how do you handle carbs? I know "bad carbs" are white pasta, white bread. But then there are good carbs, right, like whole wheat bread or unsweetened cereal, and fruits. So how do you balance your good and bad carbs? Stay away from the bad ones altogether? I love French baguettes...but is eating a whole wheat baguette better than a French bread baguette or are they both bad?

And now some fruit carbs are better than others? Oy.

Sorry but I'm really not wrapping my head around this, LOL I'm supposed to have something like 145g carbs a day and I just don't know what I should be eating.

Replies

• daylilies
    daylilies Posts: 92
    Options
    Wow, I guess it was a really stupid question. LOL
  • travelprincess
    travelprincess Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Sorry no one has answered and I really dont know the answer myself.
    I stay away from any white carbs. I only eat rye bread, no pasta no potatoes etc.
    I did find this link.
    http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/carbohydrates

Hope it helps.
  • leasah
    leasah Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    It is my understanding that the difference is more vitamins and fiber in the whole wheat versions. Fiber is great for you for many reasons but the top one for me is it makes you feel fuller longer. Im sure someone with a greater insight will chime in and give you some additional information.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    It's not a stupid question.

You may as well look at non-fibrous carbs as table sugar, as they are digested by your body nearly identically. So non-fibrous carbs would be white bread, white rice, white pasta, potatoes, sugar, HFCS, fruit juice, agave nectar, honey, etc. There's basically nothing to them but sugar in most cases, although you'll get some micronutrients from fruit juices. When you are trying to limit your calories, you don't really have room for empty calories because they compromise your ability to get full nutrition on fewer calories.

Fibrous carbs would be things like leafy greens, berries, most but not all fruits, many vegetables, brown rice, oatmeal (other than instant), quinoa, etc. Yes, they're carbs, but the fiber in them is beneficial and can slow the absorption rate of the carbs, and you also get micronutrients.

You're only 'supposed' to eat a ton of carbs if that's a diet you agree with. You can use any eating plan that you want with MFP, but MFP will default you to a plan of 55% carbs, 30% fat and 15% protein. You can adjust these percentages to coincide with your own eating plan if you'd prefer different goals. MFP is also quite low on recommended fiber, as most adults should be shooting for at least 25g of fiber per day.
  • SommerJo
    SommerJo Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Definately NOT a stupid question -- when I look at my carbs -- I shoot for natural vs process type. The closer my food is to something found in nature -- I think the better the carbs. whole grains -- fruits, veggies. The more it has to be manipulated by man or machine -- I think they are worse for my body.

It may sound absolutely ridiculous -- but i have my "caveman test" -- I ask myself -- could this have been ate/made before electricity? It's not my strict rule -- I have white sugar in my coffee along with creamer for instance, cereal for breakfast. I don't even know if any health professionals would agree. I just know that the more pre-processed my food is -- the worse I feel.

Hopefully others with more knowledge on this subject will chime in soon for ya :)
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Whole wheat vs white can be tough to say for sure because, if memory serves, there still aren't tight regulations on labeling for these products. Your best bet is to check the label. Compare the fats, calories, carbs, sugars, fiber and also look at the ingredients. I think the ones that are better for you are whole grain - those are the ones that really make an impact

And, yes, definitely more fruits and veggies - raw if possible.

Dairy has some sneaky carbs in it too, especially yogurt. Try greek instead of regular as it tends to have less sugar and more protein. Which makes me think of one other rule I've heard - make sure you're pairing your carbs with protein for the most bang for your buck.

That's all I know off the top of my head....
  • daylilies
    daylilies Posts: 92
    Options
    Thanks guys!
    I think about how natural my food is too...but people were making bread and pasta before electricity! (I can rationalize anything, LOL)
  • SommerJo
    SommerJo Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!
    I think about how natural my food is too...but people were making bread and pasta before electricity! (I can rationalize anything, LOL)

Exactly :bigsmile: So when I choose breads and pastas (sp?) I try to stick to as natural and homemade as possible. I figure (for the most part) the less it's been manipulated by man and science -- the closer it is to being good for me and my body. Shhhhh -- I've even started reading labels to make sure I can pronouce most of it lol.
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    Thanks guys!

I try to stay away from the bad carbs, white breads and pastas. I think whole wheat breads and pastas are fine in moderation :) And I would think that the bread and pasta they were making before electricity were probably more of the whole wheat variety ;)
  • veganbecky
    veganbecky Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    If you just stick to whole foods rather than refined foods, you'll do just fine. I don't think we need to worry so much about the numbers when it comes to protein, carbohydrate, and fat...just eat more whole foods and fewer processed foods and lots of fruits and vegetables, and you'll be fine.

This whole idea of some fruits & veggies being good for you and some being bad for you is completely ridiculous, IMO. Nobody will ever convince me that I shouldn't eat a banana or a carrot or watermelon because of the sugars...those are whole foods and the sugars are packaged with fiber and nutrients the way nature intended!

That said, if the majority of your diet is based on whole foods, a few refined foods here and there aren't going to break you. I love a piece of baguette sometimes myself, and that's totally fine as long as it is not the staple of your diet. :)