Tips for hurting muscles...

Options
Hi guys,

I did a personal training session on Saturday, then Zumba sunday. Yesterday and today, my thighs and bum are killing me! It was obviously worse yesterday, but i have another PT session tonight so need some quick tips on how to loosen my thighs and bum.

Ive been sitting at a desk all day, which doesnt help either as it hurts a lot more when i get up, but i noticed a half hour walk on my lunch helped a little. Anything else i can do?!

Thank :)

Replies

• pilotgirl2007
    pilotgirl2007 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Epsom salt baths are known to help with aching muscles
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    My guess would be to keep the muscles as warm and loose as you can and make sure you get a really good warm up before starting your workout.

One way to possibly help after workout soreness is to get a bit of protein post workout. And take in some good protein before bed. I hear cottage cheese is a great bedtime snack. This helps recovery and repair of muscles while sleeping. Also great for fat burning while you sleep.
  • LovelySnugs
    LovelySnugs Posts: 389
    Options
    quickest thing? a forum search for "muscle soreness".

you'll get a lot of results, but take the time to pick through and read a bunch of them to decide which options work best for you and your type of soreness. i do this every time i get sore - new pain, new search, new solutions.
  • skinnyme125
    skinnyme125 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    heating pad!! I B profrin. Stretch well
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Let your trainer know you're sore, and ask for suggestions. Everyone is sore when they first start something new, but your trainer should be able to give you some warmup and cooldown moves to help with your particular ouchy-spots.
  • ramseyrose
    ramseyrose Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Lots of stetching helps and I agree with the epsom salts. When you get back have a warm bath; not hot. My hubby runs half marathons and that's what they recommend as it drives out the lactic acid in the muscles apparently.
  • crazytxmom
    crazytxmom Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    When I have sore muscles I stretch every chance I get. I also sit at a desk all day, but during every bathroom trip, even every trip to the copier or fax, I stretch what's sore. It seems to help them loosen up and not feel quite so bad.

Good luck!
  • spankretic
    Options
    Protein is great for healing your muscles. Make a protein shake and eat some high protein foods today in order to heal up. L-Glutamine is also a great amino acid that you can take in order to accelerate healing. Good protein powders have these included already in their mixtures. You can also buy L-glutamine pills from a health food store to take when you work out too hard.

Also, remember to stretch before, during, and after workouts in order to stop muscles from hurting. Stretching helps reduce the amount of lactic acid build up in your muscles (bad).
  • bikerbiz
    bikerbiz Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest protein (like cottage cheese) right after working out. Also, walnuts and apples, anytime, are two of the superfoods with natural anti-inflammation properties. Walnuts also have Omega-3 and protein. Don't forget plenty of water. :-)
  • mcointreau
    Options
    Dairy is good, too, it helps with the cramping, as do bananas. Cook your food with lots of thyme, which is a natural anti-inflammatory and pain reliever :)
  • mufiey
    mufiey Posts: 38
    Options
    this doesn't help much now but in the future always do a cool down session just a slow walk for about ten min never just stop a vigorous exercise . helps flush out the acids your muscles build up during vigorous exercise that cause some of that soreness if i remember right
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    no immediate cure for now, but in future its recommended that after a workout you have something with carbs and protein in it within 30 minutes of your workout. Even something like a small glass of chocolate milk, or maybe a small protein shake if you have some.

You might not always feel like it, but its really good for repairing muscles and stopping soreness the next day.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I have that same problem right now from a gym session yesterday :/
    For now I say keep the muscles warm as much as possible, walking about for a bit before the workout should help, also if you let your trainer know you're sore they could probably do an extra warm up/stretch to help ease the pain a bit more - I've worked out with really aching legs before, and after about 10 minutes of a warm up the pain seems to fade a bit :)
    If they're still aching you could try deep heat muscle rub, it's quite good for aching muscles and seems to work ok with me, downside is the smell is really strong so if you're going to use it, keep lots of windows open for the first few minutes! There are probably other not so smelly muscle rubs out there too that are just as good I just haven't tried any.

For the future, lots of protein after a workout - it really helps, especially if you have some before you go to sleep as well :)
  • lreed
    lreed Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    all of these are great suggestions.
    I do all of the above! I workout hard 6 days a week, so frequent soreness is the norm for me.
    1. Eat some protein after you work out, chocolate milk is actually highly suggested :) I usually end up eating a cheese stick, because I am only moderately hungry after working out in the a.m.
    2. Ibuprofen
    3. Go for a walk
    4. Stretch
    5. Foam roll before you work out, its kinda like your deep tissue massage. Roll on the areas that hurt the most.
    6. Hot baths with epsom salts.
    7. work out again, I guarantee you will loosen up.

If you aren't a little sore, chance are you didn't push yourself! So good job!:flowerforyou: