Can it be bad to drink too much water?

Options
I'm always drinking water... During the day I must drink somewhere between 8-10 20oz size glasses of water. Can it be bad to drink this much water? The one positive is my Kidneys haven't been this clean since I was a kid.

Replies

• emd0019
    emd0019 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    It can b bad to drink too much water but only int the extremes. This would be like water drinking contests where you down as much water as possible in the shortest amount of time (3 gallons in 20 min or something to that extreme). Over the course of the day you can drink as much water as you want with no problem. I'm sure your kidneys are very happy :smile:
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is bad to drink too much water. Most people who die from taking ecstasy actually die of water toxicity, as it makes them feel thirsty. I wouldn't drink more than 3 litres of water a day, unless you are exercising very hard in hot weather. Well, actually I wouldn't drink more than 2 L as I am quite small, but 3 for a man.
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    I do think you CAN drink too much water daily. I would try to just go over your target a little. I have heard by my trainer that too much water flushes out the nutrients and minerals in your system, so I'd be careful.
  • flutterqueen04
    Options
    The best rule of thumb I hear from all my friends in the medical field is to take your weight, divide it by two and thats how many ounces a day you should drink. For some that means more than the standard 8 glasses/64 ounces a day.

Example if you weigh 150lbs you should be drinking 75 ounces a day. That equals about 9.5 glasses. Hope this helps :)
  • chelsifina
    chelsifina Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    My body needs at least 3L a day (I'm a woman) and if I don't get that, I usually have some digestion problems, low energy, etc. I would go with what feels good to your body. Water toxicity happens only in extreme cases where people push past their body signals. Go with what feels good!
  • irishgal44
    irishgal44 Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    I drink my 1 liter water bottle throughout the day and have filled it up 4-5 times a way, not counting the quick cups of water I fill at the sink at random times. I've never had a problem. Listen to your body...if you are thirsty, drink more than the amount you are drinking on average. If you are not thirsty, don't force it down. :flowerforyou:
  • thkelly
    thkelly Posts: 469
    Options
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283

How much water do you need?
    Every day you lose water through your breath, perspiration, urine and bowel movements. For your body to function properly, you must replenish its water supply by consuming beverages and foods that contain water.

So how much water does the average, healthy adult living in a temperate climate need? In general, doctors recommend 8 or 9 cups. Here are the most common ways of calculating that amount:

Replacement approach. The average urine output for adults is about 1.5 liters (6.3 cups) a day. You lose close to an additional liter (about 4 cups) of water a day through breathing, sweating and bowel movements. Food usually accounts for 20 percent of your total fluid intake, so if you consume 2 liters of water or other beverages a day (a little more than 8 cups) along with your normal diet, you will typically replace your lost fluids.

Eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day. Another approach to water intake is the "8 x 8 rule" — drink eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day (about 1.9 liters). The rule could also be stated, "Drink eight 8-ounce glasses of fluid a day," as all fluids count toward the daily total. Although the approach really isn't supported by scientific evidence, many people use this easy-to-remember rule as a guideline for how much water and other fluids to drink.

Dietary recommendations.
    The Institute of Medicine advises that men consume roughly 3 liters (about 13 cups) of total beverages a day and women consume 2.2 liters (about 9 cups) of total beverages a day.

Even apart from the above approaches, if you drink enough fluid so that you rarely feel thirsty and produce 1.5 liters (6.3 cups) or more of colorless or slightly yellow urine a day, your fluid intake is probably adequate. If you're concerned about your fluid intake, check with your doctor or a registered dietitian. He or she can help you determine the amount of water that's best for you.
  • tomclark1219
    Options
    Too much water can cause tissues ( like your brain) to swell, which can be a very bad thing. Also, if you are watching your salt intake, too much water can dilute the electrolyte concentration in your body which leads to misfires in your nervous system, and that can cause seizures. Then again this stuff only happens in extreme cases, like the aforementioned water drinking contests or fraternity hazing rituals.
  • HopefulLeigh
    HopefulLeigh Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I will drink a 1.5 liter bottle a minimum of twice a day - more if I'm exercising. How do I know if I've drank too much too quickly? I throw up pure water. [not intentionally, mind you]. The rule of thumb? Ask your doctor what's right for your body.
  • Sigra
    Sigra Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    It's possible to drink too :( I know that I had a serious problem with weight loss because of all my water retention. So instead, I cut it down, and poof! Starting losing weight again.

It's important to remember that they recommend drinking half your body weight in ounces. - Meaning if you weight 140, drink 70ounces! :)

Good luck!
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is bad to drink too much water. Most people who die from taking ecstasy actually die of water toxicity, as it makes them feel thirsty. I wouldn't drink more than 3 litres of water a day, unless you are exercising very hard in hot weather. Well, actually I wouldn't drink more than 2 L as I am quite small, but 3 for a man.

Interesting... I thought you were supposed to drink water cause you were dancing and it made you dehydrated?
  • blueeyedtraveler
    blueeyedtraveler Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    The best rule of thumb I hear from all my friends in the medical field is to take your weight, divide it by two and thats how many ounces a day you should drink. For some that means more than the standard 8 glasses/64 ounces a day.

Example if you weigh 150lbs you should be drinking 75 ounces a day. That equals about 9.5 glasses. Hope this helps :)

This is completely correct...you should be drinking half your weight (pounds) in water (ounces).
  • popsicle33
    popsicle33 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I understand that it is very difficult for most of us to drink so much water that we develop hyponatremia (when there is an overabundance of water so it actually puts our sodium out of balance, thus affecting our organ function). Hyponatremia can be life-threatening and often a person begins to lose lucidity, lose consciousness and have organ failure.

I read about a child-abuse case where a boy died because of this because his parent/guardian would force him to drink water as punishment. Terrible.

However, it is difficult for an adult to voluntarily drink too much water, especially if we are physically active. I live in the high desert Southwest where we never seem to able to get enough water. The average American is frequently dehydrated. We often lose much more water than we are able to take in.
  • ArgyleSocks88
    Options
    I found a link to the formula of water you need each day. It is below. Hope it helps!

http://nutrition.about.com/library/blwatercalculator.htm

When i put my stats in, it calculated 3 Liters, or 2.4 on a healthy diet.
  • RZO42488
    RZO42488 Posts: 64
    Options
    Only in extreme circumstances..........20 glasses a day is not bad for you. As far as nutrients and minerals, your body uses those and the water flushes out the rest. I drink on average 12-18 glasses of a 16 oz. cup daily.
  • patssarah
    patssarah Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    OmGOSH! I drink ALOT of water during the day! I thought it was good to go overboard on it! I drink anwhere between 18-26glasses so I am drinking MORE than my body weight in ounces.. Wow.. guess Im going to have to cut back!
    Thanks for posting this..
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options

Most people who die from taking ecstasy actually die of water toxicity, as it makes them feel thirsty.

can you provide a source for this....interesting....claim? I cannot find one online that seems reliable so I was wondering where you found this "fact"