Sprained Ankle ... now what can I do?

Options
So on Sunday, I randomly sprained my ankle while running down a set of steps. I'm lucky I didn't fall and break my neck or something. But anyway, now I can't go to the gym and do my usual cardio, which is doing the elliptical.

What exercises can I do now? Specifically cardio. I do not have access to a pool and I'm a full time grad student with a full time job so my time and resources are pretty limited also. I do have one of those big exercise balls but haven't really done much with it.

Any suggestions are quite welcomed! =)

Replies

• Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    First off, how bad is the sprain? Are you in a splint and on crutches? Stay off it at LEAST 3 days. Trust me on this one. I've sprained both ankles a grand total of 14 times. YES, you read that right.

Next, when you are able, draw out the alphabet with your big toe on the floor. This will help with the rehab on the ankle.

As for stuff to do at the gym I would try the stationary and recumbant bikes, and maybe the rowing machine for cardio. If the ankle is a bad sprain, see if hte gym has a hand bike. Good upper body workout and cardio too! :)
  • jamie31
    jamie31 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I did this a couple weeks ago playing basketball. For about a week i just did weight training and the exercise bike, then i started running on it. When using the stationary bike i did intervals. 1 minute at a normal pace than 1 minute fast
  • Shellz206
    Shellz206 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Crunches, weights, any upper body...

I'm in a similar situation... shortly after starting MFP, I found out I had ulnar cubital tunnel in my left arm and now have to wear a palm to armpit brace for 6 weeks - 3 months. I was so upset- I had been boxing, doing weights and the elliptical every day! Instead of getting discouraged or using it as an excuse, I started walking and doing crunches. And guess what- my weight loss still continued!

Don't let it stop you!
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    My most recent ankle sprain (one of many!) came when I was a week away from finishing up the C25K program...so I so get it! First, rest it, ice and heat as directed. If you need cardio, punch...sit there and punch at the air as you rest your ankle. When you can get moving again, start off slowly, walking or bike, nothing hard and then start building up from there.
    Injuries stink, but not taking care of them properly only makes them worst!
  • kabullard
    kabullard Posts: 41
    Options
    Jillian Michaels says for lower body injuries, to get cardio in, do punches, like boxing!!
  • carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Why don't you try a bit of strength training? There are tons of great upper body exercises you can do. If you're doing strictly cardio workouts, you're only getting half the benefits of exercising.
  • ninpiggy
    ninpiggy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Wow! I didn't expect so many replies so quickly. You're all awesome!
    The sprain isn't that bad. I'm able to walk on it, although it's still tender and a bit sore.

Carl1738 - I mostly do cardio because I'm trying to increase my cardiovascular endurance since I quit smoking about three months ago. I'm going to do strength training but I'd like to focus on my cardio a bit more first. I'm definitely aware that ST is a vital part of exercise, but I'm choosing to do mostly cardio right now!

Thank you all for your responses!
  • knitwit704
    knitwit704 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I just sprained my ankle while in my Zumba class. Good to find this!