can i get a tip from all those formiliar with this site?

Options
hi
Im kinda new at this site and I (probrably along with everyone else) am kind of struggling along. For the calories a day I guess I do pritty good. I consume about 1200 a day and probrably go over by 45 to 145 at the most on bad days.
But heres my question:
When I put in my excersize it adds calories to my daily consumtion. Should I feel free to consume those actual calories or, should i stick to the initial 1200 cal?

Replies

• leilah
    leilah Posts: 8
    Options
    hi
    Im kinda new at this site and I (probrably along with everyone else) am kind of struggling along. For the calories a day I guess I do pritty good. I consume about 1200 a day and probrably go over by 45 to 145 at the most on bad days.
    But heres my question:
    When I put in my excersize it adds calories to my daily consumtion. Should I feel free to consume those actual calories or, should i stick to the initial 1200 cal?
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Eat every last one of those exercise calories and enjoy them!
    (1200 is the minimum you want to consume, assuming you don't exercise.)

And welcome!! :flowerforyou:
  • leilah
    leilah Posts: 8
    Options
    thank you all
  • kmattson
    kmattson Posts: 1
    Options
    If you stay at the 1200 calories you will use all your exercise to burn your regular calories and will lose weight faster.
  • proudmama0118
    proudmama0118 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    If you stay at the 1200 calories you will use all your exercise to burn your regular calories and will lose weight faster.

Not true, if you consistantly don't eat your exercise calories you can send your body into starvation mode and it will actually take longer to lose the weight. MFP already calculates a deficit needed for weight loss, so eat whatever it adds in to make sure you are getting enough!
  • iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options

yes, i agree with proud mama, that this inaccurate advice... Eat Those Exercise Calories !!! (and read the link posted by viv!)
  • Jezika
    Jezika Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you should eat all those calories (exercise ones). If you don't you could put your body into starvation mode, which would them make it harder to lose weight!

Good luck and definitely read those posted discussion.
  • 1harleygal
    1harleygal Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    :smile: Absolutely you can eat the excercise calories! If you don't eat all of them then you should at least eat as many of them as possible, I always make sure I eat at least 1/2 of the excercise calories. If you don't eat your excercise calories your body will go into STARVATION mode and start hording any calories you eat which will keep the weight on you and not lose!

Welcome!
  • Mangoaddict
    Mangoaddict Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Definitely eat those extra exercise calories. Your body needs them.
  • rheston
    rheston Posts: 638
    Options
    What everyone has written is correct and even the link to the previous article is correct to the purpose people are looking at the stated problem but what everyone has failed to ask is what you entered on your profile when you first joined MFP.

If you recall the form you filled out when you joined there are two physical activity data points to enter, the first asks you how active you are on a daily basis (sitting job, or walk around a lot job) the second is your daily exercise routine -- what you are currently doing when you joined this program not what you plan to do.

If you entered in your start up profile that you weren't exercising before you started this program and the program said that you should be eating 1200 calories a day then do, by all means, eat to the exercise calories it gives but recognize that when you either don't lose weight or you gain weight then back off just a little at a time until you achieve the balance desired.

If you entered on the entry form that you were exercising before you started the program and your exercise plan hasn't changed while you're on MFP then here's where there's a problem. I, as others have, discovered there's a calculation error on MFP in that it adds those exercise calories again back into your program again even though it shouldn't because they were considered in the initial entry form and shouldn't be calculated again.

If you fall into this latter category then don't eat to the exercise calorie level unless your weight drops off at a greater rate than 2lbs a week at which point you should start eating a little more until, like I stated above, reach a balance in your diet where you lose weight sensibly and eat adequately.

Finally, the form for entering your exercise details on MFP has two radio buttons one for entry into your exercise log and one into your meal log but it doesn't matter which you press your activities are automatically calculated into your food log for calories. The assumption would be that if your calories are pre-calculated based on the entry form you should be able to press the enter into my exercise log and not see those activities go into your meal plan.

Just things to pay attention to.

Bob
  • Jezika
    Jezika Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Thanks Bob,
    I guess I hadn't realized the coding error. That does make sense though. Thanks