How often do you weigh yourself?

Options
13»

Replies

• get_fit2009
    get_fit2009 Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Wednesdays and Saturdays. Saturdays to see how I am starting off my weekend (because Friday nights I am wiped out and rarely go out on the town) and Wednesdays to be sure I am back on track from any Saturday or Sunday festivities. For me, daily weighing becomes obsessive and I get bummed if the scale goes up half a pound (even though the rational part of my brain KNOWS that could just be water weight). So, twice a week keeps me on track without thinking about it too much.
  • pennou85
    pennou85 Posts: 1
    Options
    i defenately weight myself multiple times the day....
    i placed the scales outside the bathroom and weight myself everytime i pass them by...
  • LeeLeeTunk
    LeeLeeTunk Posts: 84
    Options
    every morning and night...you tend to weigh more at night!
  • tim_jennings
    tim_jennings Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning and measure every Sunday. However, the only day that "counts" is Sunday.

I like to see the litlte fluctuations so that I know what my body is doing, but I don't let it get me down. On the contrary, I feel it encourages me because I am understanding my body better.

However, I do not suggest everyone weigh frequently. If you put too much stock in the scale, you could get discouraged and sabotage yourself. Mostly I judge how I am doing by how I feel after walking up the stairs to work every day.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    muscle weighs more than fat so don't always focus too much on the scale Num,bers becasue if your clothes contiue to fit better and you are looking leaner than you are building muscle and burning fat

It's only really possible for a human being...on a strict high protein diet, weight training 5+ days a week...to gain one pound worth of lean muscle a month. YES it certainly weighs more than fat...and yes I know it's mentioned pretty constantly...but holding onto weight and switching fat with muscle isn't really likely. What's more likely is that to lose inches doesn't require a lot of fat loss...and so the scale doesn't really register it much. Add to that water retention in other areas than the belly etc...and it makes sense. The only time the whole 'muscle weighs more than fat' thing applies, is when you're at a comfortable weight for you appearance and health wise...yet you still weigh more than you expected.

For me, I weigh in every day (after the restroom, first thing in the AM)...and log it on a home made spread sheet, every day. My 'weigh in' day is whatever day I'm lightest that week, usually Monday...because Sunday is a complete REST day, and my muscles aren't holding onto water for repair. Logging my weight daily though has serious benifits. First...I usually gain weight all week long, then shed more than I gained over the weekend (usually, literally...on Sunday night lol). This helps me not worry about fluctuations much. Second, when the pattern changes...I know something's up and can address it. Also...if I didn't weigh in daily...I might miss my lightest day of the week (which was actually Wednesday last week, as well as today). It doesn't matter which day you're lightest...those days just mean you have the least retained water...and so your weight is more accurate.

On a week like this one...where I'm consistently lighter (by 2+lbs!) day by day than I was the week before...it's a pretty good indicator that Monday's going to show an awesome loss =D.

Cris
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    When I was losing I weighed every day and logged every Wednesday. Now I'm trying to find my maintenance calories I'm weighing and logging every day. If the scales keep going down or my hunger keeps going up, I add some more calories.

I'm hoping that by doing this I'll understand my body's fluctuations better.
  • woja9640
    woja9640 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Muscle and fat weigh the same, however 1lb of muscle is more compact than 1 lb of fat.

Here's a link to a picture I found showing the difference between 5 lbs of fat and 5 lbs of muscle.

http://www.onemorebite-weightloss.com/images/fat-v-muscle.jpg
  • KevKidd
    KevKidd Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Every Friday morning first thing.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Muscle and fat weigh the same, however 1lb of muscle is more compact than 1 lb of fat.

Here's a link to a picture I found showing the difference between 5 lbs of fat and 5 lbs of muscle.

http://www.onemorebite-weightloss.com/images/fat-v-muscle.jpg

I am sorry...muscle and fat do not weigh the same. I understand what you're saying but it's inaccurate. That's like saying a steel anvil and chicken feathers weigh the same, because 1lb of steel anvil is just more compact than 1lb of chicken feathers. When something is 'more compact' it is denser, and this makes it heavier as well. 1lb of anything weighs the same as 1lb of anything else...whether the other item is less dense or not is irrelevant to the weight, it's relevant to volume.

In order to correctly correlate weight, you have to have the same volume of two items, then weigh them to get a comparison.

Hope that didn't come off wrong...it's just a misunderstanding a lot of people have so I thought I'd clear it up.

Cris
  • tim_jennings
    tim_jennings Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Exactly, it's like saying air weighs the same as lead. Although it is true that if you get 1 lb of air and 1 lb of lead they have the same 'weight', the general usage of the term "weight" implies similar volumes.\\

However, thanks for the link to the volume comparison!