My skin and the gym -- need advice for the bike

Options
aflane
aflane Posts: 625 Member
I 've developed a problem, that I just don't know how to remedy at the gym. I've become addicted to the stationary bike. At the start of every workout, I hop on to do my 60 mins of cardio. The peddling/sweat factor is great! It's not a workout without biking (to me, at least). The bike I'm using is an upright stationary, with the dual heartrate handles, and my favorite posture to assume is with my hands on the higher handles, elbows resting on the lower portion of the handrest. I'm not describing it very well, but you all know that hand/arm position.

Here's my problem. I've developing blisters and abrasion wounds on my forearms and elbows. I've tried switching arm/hand positions, but I keep automatically shifting my position to my fav posture. My elbows hurt so much, that I'm starting to dread the bike a bit, and yet I LOVE to peddle. I've tried placing a towl over the armrests, and it just makes my elbows hurt faster.

In addition, I've developed a couple of blisters on the top of my feet from the foot pedal straps. Those are easy to remedy, I just choose the bike without foot straps.

Any advice you can give for my poor sore arms/elbows would be greatly appreciated!!

Replies

• Tiana405
    Tiana405 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    elbow pad, maybe???
  • mostein
    mostein Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Hey! I do spinning classes and they always drill into us not to rest your arms on the bars because you are restingyour weight into them instead of pushing it through your feet when you pedal (if that makes sense). Maybe if you keep that in mind you will be able to switch positions?
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately sometimes we need to work through the pain to get to the other side. If this is an activity you love, and you know that you will continue to do you may have to just work through it until you "toughen" up the area.
    Maybe a lightweight workout shirt with longer sleeves for the time being to help your arms? You can get good breathable fabrics that may help with this. As for your feet . . . they will toughen up and get used to it . . . kind of like my fingers when I decided to pick up my guitar again . . . hurt like hell for weeks until they toughened up.
  • tarazena
    tarazena Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    That is great that you found an activity that you love! I've never heard of having issues on the elbows and hands etc...I thought this was going to be a post about the "nether regions" since that is a common sore area when doing alot of biking.
    I think first of all, maybe you will need to try to do something else for a bit while your booboo's heal. Then when they are good again, you can do biking...but overall when working out, it's not really a good idea to do the same thing all the time. It's good to mix things up because muscles, tendons, etc can be overworked doing the same routine every day too.
    Try doing biking 2-3 days a week, then try other exercises for your other days. You could do a brisk walk on the treadmill (and even put it at up hill) or do elliptical in between too. You need to change things overall and that should keep your sores away. I hope that helps...but really doing the same thing everyday will give you something sore eventually...and your body will get used to it and will not be as good a workout as it used to be.
  • ChessRonin
    ChessRonin Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Two things:

1) Don't rest your forearms and elbows on the handle bars (as was already mentioned).

When riding a real bike, would you be leaning on your handlebars like this? Of course not! You'll notice that you start to get a workout in your arms and abs as soon as you start to bike properly (weight on your hands, not arms, with wrists straight).

2) Moisturize.

Haha, it's quite simple, but get a good body butter, and apply it twice daily to your problem areas (ideally, to all of your skin). You'd be surprised how much of a difference a good moisturizer makes with skin health. I recommend The Body Shop products; Hemp, Shea, Olive are some of my favorites, but they have an endless selection to choose from.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Why not take a book? It will occupy your hands and distract you from wanting to resort to your favourite position!
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Instead of using an ordinary towel, use whatever you can find made out of microfiber, that should keep those little cotton protrusions from pushing into the sores. Then, get the hurt free antiseptic spray band-aid makes, and spray a good layer on your towel before you workout, this should help neutralize any sweat that starts to grow in your sweat. And take care of your sores, wash them and give them antibacterial ointment after every workout, you want them to heal instead of getting worse.
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    But... but... I'm mentally riding from DC to Richmond (210 miles roundtrip). I'll be mentally stranded in the middle of 95S. I can't quit. Already did Baltimore and back last week (110 miles roundtrip).

I like the shirt idea and the advice about WHY I need to switch positions. So, it's either a shirt or a biking intervention. <lol>

P.S. Can't do the book reading while riding... it makes me queasy. Also, the treadmill is definitely out.... I've fallen asleep on the treadmill (while walking)... it's just TOO boring for me.
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Go buy or borrow a bicycle and get outside. You can't assume that posture if you're really riding and steering. If you like to peddle that much you'll have a blast. It will change your life. How far is it to the gym? You could ride there, work out and ride home. Find some pretty places to go riding near you. You will have such an amazing summer figuring out adventures to have on your bike!

Soon you'll be able to really ride to Baltimore and back.
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should also get some padded cycle gloves to remind you to keep your hands on the handlebars. Also will make your hands more comfortable. Any bike shop or large sporting goods shop will have them.
  • LMac423
    LMac423 Posts: 82
    Options
    No leaning on the handlebars as everyone else has said...cheats you out of a better workout.