Whey Protein???

Options
Does anyone know if whey protein make you gain weight??? I have been reading a book on how to eat more healthier and whey protein is the main thing to use...any advice?

I bought some last night and was wondering if it makes you gain weight or it helps promote your weight loss??? It's very low in calories and low in sugar....If anyone have any idea, please let me know...

THANKS!!!

Replies

• Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    Hey girl! I use high quality all natural MRM whey protein. I think it all depends on whats in the powder you buy. My trainer swears that we need a very good amount of protein to maintain lean body mass. I feel so much better with protein, and whey is great and is full of amino acids! Many have tons of added chemicals and awful for you fake sugar (beware of hidden "sucralose" which is splenda.)
  • ChessRonin
    ChessRonin Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Of course Whey protein does NOT make you gain weight.

There is only one thing that makes you gain weight; eating more calories than you use daily.

Whey protein is a useful supplement if you aren't getting enough protein in your diet,so long as you continue to count calories. Be sure, of course, to include the calories from any protein supplements you take in your daily budget.
  • nrb1777
    nrb1777 Posts: 1
    Options
    My nutritionist suggest the New Zealand Whey Protein. It's easier to digest. It's supposed to help with you metabolism. She drinks it every day. She warned me about some of them that say natural & artificial flavorings as they could have MSG and not have to tell you.
  • MrsGriffin67
    MrsGriffin67 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I just read an article on AOL the other day about using whey to lose weight. They say it is awesome for helping to shed those unwanted pounds. I will try to search my history and give you a link to the article.
  • PrissyMissy
    PrissyMissy Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I like Syntrax Nectar/Syntrax Lattes/Syntrax Nectar Sweets/EASAdvantage-Low Carb all of these are very high in protein, low in calories and low in carbs. It's just important not to eat a big meal with it. Make it your lunch, breakfast, or supper with some fruit or veggies. It is very filling and there are a lot of flavors that you can choose from.

Good Luck! :o)

P.S. Lucky Vitamin has pretty good prices on the Syntrax--Walmart and Sams are the best for the EASAdvantage.
  • ChessRonin
    Options
    My nutritionist suggest the New Zealand Whey Protein. It's easier to digest. It's supposed to help with you metabolism. She drinks it every day. She warned me about some of them that say natural & artificial flavorings as they could have MSG and not have to tell you.

What's wrong with MSG?

The answer is nothing.

What's wrong with too much MSG? The same thing that's bad about consuming too much simple salt.

The idea that MSG is in itself a harmful product is all media hype and fear-mongering. In fact, it's basically a naturally occurring salt.
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Wheyoflife.org states this:

Adding whey protein to the diet is a great way to jump-start a weight loss program. Whey protein is a key ingredient in numerous weight loss and meal replacement products and whey protein isolate (with no fat or carbohydrates) is often the preferred choice. Studies have found that individuals who combine diets with leucine rich protein foods, like whey protein, and exercise have more lean muscle tissue and they lose more body fat. As they lose fat their metabolic rate increases and they naturally burn more calories each day. Another way that whey protein helps manage weight is by promoting satiety, or a feeling of fullness. One recent study showed that whey protein was superior to casein, the other protein in cow's milk, in promoting satiety.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    There are different formulas for protein powders that are geared specifically for certain goals. But generally, whey protein powders that are low in calories are used for weight loss. The benefit from them comes from muscle repair when you've had intense workouts. Don't rely on the protein powder itself as a main source of protein, as it is a supplement, but in conjunction with a healthy diet, it does work to help promote weight loss.

This and the related articles may help better explain the process behind it:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/25850-whey-protein-powder-weight/
  • ChessRonin
    Options
    I'm curious about this study of satiety re: casein vs. whey. The result sounds counterintuitive, since casein takes longer to digest than whey protein.

Can you link or name the study?

Thanks.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    There is only one thing that makes you gain weight; eating more calories than you use daily.

this
  • MrsGriffin67
    MrsGriffin67 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I just read an article on AOL the other day about using whey to lose weight. They say it is awesome for helping to shed those unwanted pounds. I will try to search my history and give you a link to the article.

Found it...

http://www.thatsfit.com/2011/03/21/the-whey-to-weight-loss/?icid=maing|main5|dl6|sec3_lnk3|51643
  • spiritcrusher
    spiritcrusher Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Of the three macronutrients that you can ingest, protein is the most difficult one to turn into fat. In fact, it's nearly impossible without a massive supply of carbohydrates.

Whey protein does not in anyway shape or form make you gain weight.

It's a perfect meal replacement that's low on carbs and has plenty of protein and a little bit of fat. (Depending on what kind you're drinking)

As long as you're not going over your daily calories, you'll never gain weight from it.
  • lulutm
    lulutm Posts: 57
    Options
    Just make sure you are not using a whey protein powder that is loaded with extra sugar, and you should be fine. Protein helps build and repair muscle tissue. It's a great meal replacement, or supplement to a healthy diet and regular exercise.

1178051.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter