Good idea or not?!?

Options
I was thinking about beginning to supplement one of my meals with a protein shake, but I'm not sure if this will help me or hinder me. Any tips with what kind I should try and which to stay away from? I already know that slim-fast is not all it's cracked up to be. Keep in mind I'm only going to supplement lunch with it. I eat a light breakfast and easy dinner, but my lunches at work are always fatty fast food!!! I know I can count on you guys to deliver!

Replies

• AJMWriter
    AJMWriter Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'd give CLIF Bars a try--great protein and fiber to keep you going cuz that's what they're made for. Highly recommended!!
  • WorkingMomGetsFit
    WorkingMomGetsFit Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    You can eat grilled chicken breast with a side of steamed vegies and a side salad for the same amount of calories as some shakes. I have tried the shakes before and they taste great and are loaded with vitamins/minerals, but they just don't have the staying power as a healthy meal. Just my opinion :-)
  • Ral263
    Ral263 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    You can eat grilled chicken breast with a side of steamed vegies and a side salad for the same amount of calories as some shakes. I have tried the shakes before and they taste great and are loaded with vitamins/minerals, but they just don't have the staying power as a healthy meal. Just my opinion :-)

ITA. There are just many calories (if not more) in a shake than in a real meal that will keep you fuller longer, and provide more nutrition since you can eat a ton of veggies for few calories. Pack a lunch and bring it to work instead!
  • missy204
    missy204 Posts: 30
    Options
    its an ok idea. I personally don't like the taste. Hubby drinks Whey protein shakes and gets good results.
  • Mayor_West
    Mayor_West Posts: 246 Member
    Options

ITA. There are just many calories (if not more) in a shake than in a real meal that will keep you fuller longer, and provide more nutrition since you can eat a ton of veggies for few calories. Pack a lunch and bring it to work instead!

That depends greatly on the shake- not all are created equal. Some are MRP (meal replacement packets), which are meant to be eaten without any other foods, as they provide a balance of protein, carbs, fats and nutrients. As a result, these have a higher calorie content.

However, a shake consisting of primarily whey protein, can contain anywhere from 100-130 calories per serving, with 20-30 grams of protein.

Also, I'd avoid Clif Bars- they have a decent amount of protein, but a higher calorie count- 230 calories, 25g sugars and only 9g protein.