TACO BELL

Options

Replies

• michelletyler38
    michelletyler38 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Cheaper?! Please teach me how! :) And keep in mind I cook for one ;) I really haven't been able to beat a 99 cent dinner :/

You can get a package of ground turkey (or beef), a package of taco seasoning and a package of tortilla shells for probably $6. You are going to get a lot more than 6 tacos out of your homemade than you would at TB AND it is going to be better for you :) Plus, once you make the ground meat taco mix, you can freeze it in little baggies and just pull out what you want to use for that day. And tortillas last FOREVER in the fridge. Good luck!

You would also need lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, and possibly sour cream or salsa to match a taco bell taco. It is hard to beat their economies of scale when cooking for yourself.

True BUT I already buy lettuce & cheese & tomatoes! I'd skip the sour cream & probably only use some shredded lettuce & cheese like TB crunchy tacos :D
  • michelletyler38
    Options
    Cheaper?! Please teach me how! :) And keep in mind I cook for one ;) I really haven't been able to beat a 99 cent dinner :/

You can get a package of ground turkey (or beef), a package of taco seasoning and a package of tortilla shells for probably $6. You are going to get a lot more than 6 tacos out of your homemade than you would at TB AND it is going to be better for you :) Plus, once you make the ground meat taco mix, you can freeze it in little baggies and just pull out what you want to use for that day. And tortillas last FOREVER in the fridge. Good luck!

You would also need lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, and possibly sour cream or salsa to match a taco bell taco. It is hard to beat their economies of scale when cooking for yourself.

True BUT I already buy lettuce & cheese & tomatoes! I'd skip the sour cream & probably only use some shredded lettuce & cheese like TB crunchy tacos :D
  • michelletyler38
    Options

• michelletyler38
    Options
    This may help you - remember that Taco Bell has been criticized for all the "mystery" fillers they use in their food. There is a REASON it is so cheap to eat there.

You won't notice the additives though because they slather everything with a fatty mixture of guacamole and sour cream. You can't even fantasize that the minimally trained, minimum-wage staff making your meal is going to adhere to the clinically measured meal sample. Your portion likely has double the dose of those toppings. If you want a Schmorgasbord of chemical additives and food look-a-likes, this place is heaven.

If you must eat on the run on the cheap, at least at Subway you can recognize and control which items go into your meal.

Hope this helps with your cravings!

OMG I never thought about the fact that they could have more calories than the site says!! S****!!!!
  • michelletyler38
    Options
    I loves me some "taco hell". I have a free day once a week and that is frequently my lunch choice. I am not going to deprive myself, everything in moderation. Having it a couple times a month satisfies the cravings and helps me stay on track. Since I've been eating healthy I can't eat nearly as much as I used to anyway so its not an all out food fest anyway, just enough.

^^^ This! Exactly how I feel.
  • MooseWizard
    MooseWizard Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I eat Taco Bell pretty regularly, I must admit. Though these days, it is almost exclusively from the Fresco menu items. It is the only fast food restaurant available to me besides Subway that I can get a reasonable meal, portion and calorie wise.
  • brookejoelle
    Options
    Don't worry I still go there too with my friend usually when we are up late studying or had a long day and do not feel like cooking lol. It's bad to keep going but it's so good :)
  • mislove68
    mislove68 Posts: 240
    Options
    I have not had taco bell in like 9 months WAY before my diet started. I have not had any fast food since January. After I heard about trans fat at fast food places and what trans fat does to you body I was just sick. Trans fat will move fat from other places of your body to your belly. NOT FOR ME!

And yes you can make the taco's for cheaper! And they will be so much more healthy! Oh and save on gas to the trip to taco bell each day :)
  • namrettik
    namrettik Posts: 127
    Options
    I eat Taco Bell pretty often. It's really tasty, cheap, and it doesn't take much to fill me up for hours.
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    This may help you - remember that Taco Bell has been criticized for all the "mystery" fillers they use in their food. There is a REASON it is so cheap to eat there.

You won't notice the additives though because they slather everything with a fatty mixture of guacamole and sour cream. You can't even fantasize that the minimally trained, minimum-wage staff making your meal is going to adhere to the clinically measured meal sample. Your portion likely has double the dose of those toppings. If you want a Schmorgasbord of chemical additives and food look-a-likes, this place is heaven.

If you must eat on the run on the cheap, at least at Subway you can recognize and control which items go into your meal.

I have to disagree about your comment on the staff not following the measurements. When I worked at TB the manager would come around and weigh every third item. If it was over by an ounce we heard about it. I can't say that every store is the same, but the utensils are premeasured, too. I will agree with you about the quality of their food - it has steadily declined over the past few years.
  • erikblock
    erikblock Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I still eat at Taco Bell all the time. Probably twice a week on average. 3 fresco softshell tacos is less than 600 calories (I don't recall the exact numbers off the top of my head). The sodium is super high, but I'm not really watching for that.
  • grits317
    grits317 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I've noticed my local TB servin shriimp tacos now. Wouldn't this be a healthier alternative to regular tacos? I've had these and they are very good. :tongue:
  • ahsongbird
    ahsongbird Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I do once in a while b/c I'm sorry, taco bell is yummy haha, but I do always assume the meals have more cals than it says and always make sure I have enough wiggle room to eat it. YES taco bells meat is comparable to dog food but IDC its still good :P
  • ahsongbird
    ahsongbird Posts: 712 Member
    Options

I have to disagree about your comment on the staff not following the measurements. When I worked at TB the manager would come around and weigh every third item. If it was over by an ounce we heard about it. I can't say that every store is the same, but the utensils are premeasured, too. I will agree with you about the quality of their food - it has steadily declined over the past few years.
    the taco bell i go to is pretty much staffed by all of my family and friends so I just make them make sure they know how much goes in :)
  • c7eat2live
    c7eat2live Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I gave up ALL fast food. I mean, you are what you eat, and I feel like 99 cents is not worth the massive non-monetary (or monetary on a national or global scale) costs of "mystery" ingredients, veggies that were sprayed with chemicals, shipped across (sometimes multiple) countries. Then I think of all the people that touched my food, how many times it may have been reheated or re-fried. not to mention how much cruelty those chickens and pigs and cows suffer through to get to T Bell. Im a broke college student. I joined my local CSA (community supported agriculture) and I get a box of fruits and veggies every week for 26 dollars, and if I volunteer at the farms I get it even cheaper, and get credit every time I refer someone etc. Its incredible. Buying things like dried beans and brown rice in bulk, they last forever and you CAN eat for cheap. Trust me. you just need to do some research. and your body will be filled with happy food instead of fast food sludge. oh course, its a personal choice, just my 2 cents :)
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Taco Bell gives me diarrhea.

They have an expression in the music industry - **** in, **** out.
  • EricInArlington
    EricInArlington Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    gross!!!!
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    Taco Bell gives me diarrhea.

They have an expression in the music industry - **** in, **** out.

In the computer business it's Garbage In, Garbage out.
  • neverrgiveup
    Options
    im going there with my friends after school haha! But i guess i will just eat my lunch that I packed for today and order a diet coke hehe
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I get Taco Bell sometimes 1-2 times a week. It's kind of my weakness. :sick:

But I've been pretty good. I'll get an unsweetened ice tea (0 cals) and a Bean & Cheese burrito (370 cals). The Bean & Cheese burritos are very filling, and have 10g of fat, 980mg sodium, 56g carbs, 10g fiber, and 13g protein. Not horrible. And I ONLY will have them if they fit into my food goals for the day. They are a treat for me, and not a terrible one at that.