hiking and running trails

I am so excited. :bigsmile:
I have been trying to find out how to find good paths & trails around here, but got no where fast.
Last night I ordered 3 books that cover my general area with running and hiking trails. I can't wait to get them. My area is really large (San Bernardino/Southern California) so I will have to drive to all of them, but at least I can know where to go. And my daughter wants to go with me also, so all the better.
I don't usually hike, but I know I will love it. I am sure I will see areas and stuff I know will be great. You know how you live someplace and you never see any of it, but you run over to another state and you try to take it all in, in one day.
If anyone wants to know how the books cover good areas in case you wanted to buy similar ones, just let me know and I will let you know.

MMM Should I get some hiking boots. :huh:
I am in the MFP runners club, is there a MFP Hiking club?:laugh:

Replies

• I am so excited. :bigsmile:
    I have been trying to find out how to find good paths & trails around here, but got no where fast.
    Last night I ordered 3 books that cover my general area with running and hiking trails. I can't wait to get them. My area is really large (San Bernardino/Southern California) so I will have to drive to all of them, but at least I can know where to go. And my daughter wants to go with me also, so all the better.
    I don't usually hike, but I know I will love it. I am sure I will see areas and stuff I know will be great. You know how you live someplace and you never see any of it, but you run over to another state and you try to take it all in, in one day.
    If anyone wants to know how the books cover good areas in case you wanted to buy similar ones, just let me know and I will let you know.

• Carrie6o6
    Carrie6o6 Posts: 1,443 Member
    Thats really awesome! I too love hiking!! There should be a hikers club!! I would join in a heart beat!!
  • tilly6277
    tilly6277 Posts: 202
    I live within 5 minutes of a BEAUTIFUL hiking place- Devil's Lake, Baraboo, WI- :flowerforyou: and I love to hike. Problem is, I don't do it by myself for safety reasons :sad: and I cannot find someone to go with on a regular basis. :cry: I guess I am way to motivated for everyone! :bigsmile:
  • Carrie6o6
    Carrie6o6 Posts: 1,443 Member
    Thats exactly my problem Tilly!! No one ever wants to come with me and I wouldnt go alone because of wildlife. :grumble:
  • brettw2ts
    brettw2ts Posts: 1
    Check out this website.....www.localhikes.com
    It has lots of trails with descriptions and other info. Really good site.
  • mlillie
    mlillie Posts: 302
    I just moved from LA and went hiking in Malibu and Topanga a lot. Look up the book- A foot and A field. The Cali version.

Have fun!!
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    I love hiking in Southern Calif! A group of us used to hike the Temescal Canyon loop every morning -- it's a perfect workout -- takes about an hour to do the loop and a nice mix of up and downhills.

Would love to hear more about how it goes with you! Report back.

Mandeville Canyon is also really nice.
  • Still waiting for the books to get here. And I was supposed to have recieved a book on Suppliments also but it isn't here yet. MMMMMM I hate waiting, but I hate to pay for the faster shipping to. So I guess it is my own fault for ordering snail mail.
    :grumble:
  • I have recieved 2 of the books, so I will check them out and hopefully try one of the trails. Get back to you on how helpful they were.
  • momi
    momi Posts: 9
    I live in the San Gabriel Valley and there are a couple of good hiking trails here.

I've done the Eaton Canyon hike...it's only about a 4 mile hike round trip. It's pretty much flat...just rocky. At the end of the trail there's a pretty waterfall waiting for you. I've also done a small portion of the Mt Wilson hike...that one is 17 miles up to the top! I only got through the first stop which was barely a mile. The trail is pretty steep and narrow and quite a workout, but the views are truly breathtaking!

Good luck with your search! Happy hiking! :happy:
  • heartshapdworld
    heartshapdworld Posts: 323 Member
    I would recomend to check out the US Forest Service website if you have not done so already. They have some really great infomation including maps, current condiditons, and trail infomation.(http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sanbernardino/ The link is for San Bernadino National Forest, but on the US site you can search by state, and then by specific national forest)

Have fun!
    Gina
  • I would recomend to check out the US Forest Service website if you have not done so already. They have some really great infomation including maps, current condiditons, and trail infomation.(http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sanbernardino/ The link is for San Bernadino National Forest, but on the US site you can search by state, and then by specific national forest)

Have fun!
    Gina
    Oh, I will check that out. I know it sound like I am near LA, but I am closer to Vegas I think, and out here, not much in trails. So far one of the books mentions Writewood and Big Bear. The first is about 30 minute drive and the Big Bear While a beautiful drive is slower to drive so closer to an hour and a half one way, and they just had a bear invade the picnic area this weekend. And like a year or two ago they had a bear take a kid out of his tent.....Scary, he didn't make it. I love going there to walk in town but I am a little freaked at the idea of a bear on a trail, I know I wouldn't see one... But I can't help the feeling.:noway:
    So far most of the other trails are for Orange county area, and that is pretty far.
    Thanks for the tip on the web page though, I will check it to see what might be closer.
    He he he, I am looking at the page, and they have a wooden bear in the pic, funny.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • lizard9800
    lizard9800 Posts: 474 Member
    I say that we start an MFP Hiking Club for the rest of the summer! I can only do big hikes on the weekend, but hike up the local ski hill during the week a few times. If no one else does, I will start a post later today or tomorrow... I would love to see others pictures from their hikes!:happy:
  • I say that we start an MFP Hiking Club for the rest of the summer! I can only do big hikes on the weekend, but hike up the local ski hill during the week a few times. If no one else does, I will start a post later today or tomorrow... I would love to see others pictures from their hikes!:happy:

I would like that. I am a picture geek and hadn't thought about that. I am hoping to take my first hike Friday, only because my daughter has appointment today and myself tomorrow, so I am going to try and get her to go out with me Friday.
    Do you go by yourself much, or always in a group?
    What do you recomentd I take with me. I was going to bring my running water belt, but I thought maybe extra water, but should I bring anything else if it is say 5 - 10 mile hike?
  • lizard9800
    lizard9800 Posts: 474 Member
    I would like that. I am a picture geek and hadn't thought about that. I am hoping to take my first hike Friday, only because my daughter has appointment today and myself tomorrow, so I am going to try and get her to go out with me Friday.
    What do you recomentd I take with me. I was going to bring my running water belt, but I thought maybe extra water, but should I bring anything else if it is say 5 - 10 mile hike?

I usually go with my fiance on long day hikes, or weekend trips. During the week I hike the local ski hill by myself. It is only 1.8 miles, but it gains about 1600 ft so it is steep and I burn about 400 cals. I'm working on my time - I have gotten it down from 50 minutes to 38. Then I take the chair lift down so my knees still like me!:smile:
    For a 5-10 mile hike I would have water, bug stuff, sunscreen, hat and an energy bar or beef jerky. And around here I also have to have bear spray!:huh:
    I will do a Hiking Club post once I download my pictures from my hike last weekend. Enjoy!
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    San Diego has some of the most beautiful trails. My favorite is cowles mountain.
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    I say that we start an MFP Hiking Club for the rest of the summer! I can only do big hikes on the weekend, but hike up the local ski hill during the week a few times. If no one else does, I will start a post later today or tomorrow... I would love to see others pictures from their hikes!:happy:

I take my girls (ages 9 and 7) hiking with me often - we are blessed to live in Northern Cali with MANY park areas and hiking trails. For a 5-10 mile hike, I would bring at least 1.5 liters of water per person. I bought camelbacks for myself and my girls - the kids have a 1.5 liter and I carry a 3 liter. You want to have more water than you think you will need. Also make sure you carry a first aid kit, emergency whistle and a windbreaker for every hike - and always let someone else know where you are going and when you will be back. Have fun!!!!

p.s. If you are hiking by yourself, I recommend carrying a pepper spray and using a "bear bell" (attaches to your pack) so animals are aware of your presence. Most animal attacks are due to "surprise" encounters, rather than a so-called frecious predator stalking the unknowing human, lol. So when you hike alone, you want to make noise so other "things" have time to run away and hide. The pepper spray (for me) is protection against potentially not-nice humans or pet dogs I might encounter on the trail!
  • lyla29
    lyla29 Posts: 3,549 Member
    I am so excited. :bigsmile:

There is a new hiking website that was in our newspaper ( I live near Riverside) that the parks dept. put out www.parks.ca.gov/trailsearch that you can search by region like the Inland Empire.
  • heartshapdworld
    heartshapdworld Posts: 323 Member
    I remember reading somewhere that it is advisable to go on hikes with someone-it is a safety issue. Hiking, one can expose onesself to injures, heat stroke, wild animals, and cells get little to no service on trails (in my expierence).

Normally, I don't let not having a buddy stop me from doing what I want to do except in certain situations. If you do deciede to go by yourself, then be careful can take some precautions like leaving an intiernary with someone and scheduling times to check-in with that person.

Have fun,
    Gina