Sushi and High Fructose Corn Syrup

Options
ctucker07
ctucker07 Posts: 37 Member
I was at the supermarket this weekend looking for some lunch and thought I might get some sushi. I looked at the ingredients and the second thing listed was high fructose corn syrup. I'm devastated!! Is it just supermarket sushi or does all sushi contain HFCS? I've been trying to find out but I haven't been getting anywhere.

Replies

• ctucker07
    Options
    I was at the supermarket this weekend looking for some lunch and thought I might get some sushi. I looked at the ingredients and the second thing listed was high fructose corn syrup. I'm devastated!! Is it just supermarket sushi or does all sushi contain HFCS? I've been trying to find out but I haven't been getting anywhere.
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    I am pretty sure it depends on what you get and where from

Cause I know simple rice and raw fish....couldn't be anything more complexed you know.
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Relax dear. :smile:
    They use HFCS in the store but NOT in your normal SUSHI!
    They use it because it sticks the rice together and they use cheaper rice then real sushi sticky rice.
    Not to metion that it makes it last longer then you would REALLY want it to.
    Go to the library and check out a sushi book and try making some of your favs at home. It is a fun thing to do. :-)
    --Diann...
    The ONLY thing that MIGHT contain HFCS is the eel because it is sweet. But that would be such a SMALL amount that I do not think it would bother you at all. It MAY be made with brown sugar which is more likely. Real sushi resturants try to make it as REAL as possible, and something tells me that HFCS is an American thing. Not that much corn over there I do not think. :ohwell: Hmm, may be worth checking out!
  • ctucker07
    Options
    Well that's a relief! LOL.
  • michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    It depends on the type of roll....simple fish and rice should not have hfcs....however. Maybe rolls that contain mayonnaise like spicy tuna would also include the sugar. Perhaps the soy sauce has the hfcs? Actually, that would probably be the culprit. I eat tons of sushi and love love love it...just stay away from anything that is "crunchy" "tempura" or mixed with mayo. It is unbelievable how much sodium is in soy sauce. Even the low sodium contains 50% of daily allowance in 2 tablespoons!!!
  • dmd196
    dmd196 Posts: 11
    Options
    I've made my own sushi at home a few times and I love it.

It's great to have friends over (like a little dinner party) so everyone can give it a try!
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Normal sushi has the following (if made traditionally)

rice (sushi rice, rice vinegar, sugar, salt)
    nori
    fish/veggies

Usually when we make it we just use sushi rice without the vinegar, salt, and sugar.

Not sure how they managed to squeeze in HFCS unless they substituted it for the sugar when they made the rice.