Subway Tuna Sandwich..Good choice??

Options
Okay so Ive been changing how I eat and such, just being more aware of what I eat and making smarter decisions. So today I had a rough morning and afternoon, Ive been out all day as well, and I didnt feel like a salad or protein bar or anything, I just wanted to be bad lol.. so i went to Subway and got a footlong tuna sandwich on wheat, white american cheese and all the veggies except pickles. No mayo or anything just a lil vinegar. I am having half for lunch and half for dinner.. Is this a good choice? Or should I avoid tuna in the future? I thought it would be good bc it has a lot of protein!!

Replies

• katyk08
    katyk08 Posts: 302
    Options
    Okay so Ive been changing how I eat and such, just being more aware of what I eat and making smarter decisions. So today I had a rough morning and afternoon, Ive been out all day as well, and I didnt feel like a salad or protein bar or anything, I just wanted to be bad lol.. so i went to Subway and got a footlong tuna sandwich on wheat, white american cheese and all the veggies except pickles. No mayo or anything just a lil vinegar. I am having half for lunch and half for dinner.. Is this a good choice? Or should I avoid tuna in the future? I thought it would be good bc it has a lot of protein!!
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    My only thing is that it could be fattening because they use mayo don't they in their tuna (I dont know I have never had one from subway) if it doesn't then I really don't see much of what's wrong unless your having a day where you can't eat much calories and then the vinegar, and cheese can add up. I usually do the roasted chicken breast or the veggie.
  • cpumpkins
    cpumpkins Posts: 15
    Options
    Beware of the mayonnaise in the tuna from Subway. Although tuna is usually a great choice, I'd avoid the Subway tuna because you have no idea how much mayo they slap into their tuna. If anything, make some tuna at home. That way you know exactly how much mayo you're consuming. Good luck!!
  • katyk08
    Options
    Beware of the mayonnaise in the tuna from Subway. Although tuna is usually a great choice, I'd avoid the Subway tuna because you have no idea how much mayo they slap into their tuna. If anything, make some tuna at home. That way you know exactly how much mayo you're consuming. Good luck!!
  • katyk08
    Options

I didnt think about that!! Good point you guys, thanks! Next time I will just make my tuna at home!! I will go and get a veggie sub from subway then add my own tuna!! What are some good substitutes for mayo when mixing tuna???
  • maggierex
    maggierex Posts: 59
    Options
    unfortunately the tuna salad is made with mayo so a 6" has like 530 cal and 31g fat (w/o cheese),:sick: so double that and add in whatever for the cheese. if you go to the subway site you can see exactly what all the components are worth. i go for the turkey on whole wheat which, with cheese is less than less than 10g of fat. make tuna salad yourself with miracle whip free or low fat mayo, you will save tons of fat and cal!!!
  • michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Well...here's the damage. Footlong tuna has 1,140 cals...I guess it's okay as long as you just eat that today. It does have a lot of protein, but the whole sandwich has your total daily allowance of sodium! There certainly are healthier choices but that darn sodium count is ridiculous in all their food. I only like their sandwiches so sometimes I just get the veggie delight with a lot of red vinegar....dieting sucks. It's hard I agree.
  • MontanaGirl
    MontanaGirl Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    Well - the Tuna is not the problem!! How they make it is. Their flyer I have sitting on my desk says that a 6" Tuna sub on Italian or wheat breat with lettuce, tomatoes, red onions, green peppers, pickles, Olives and cheese is 530 calories with 31 grams of fat, 1030 mg of sodium and 45 grams of carbs. It does have 22 grams of protein. So, if you make your own tuna salad with a packed of tuna (90 calories) and a couple of tbsp of miracle whip light (35 cal each tbsp) and use low cal bread and maybe some cheese with 2% milk instead of whole it would save you mega calories!

Oh, and losing the pickles only saved like 5 calories but a couple of hundred mg of sodium. So that was good anyway!!
  • katyk08
    Options
    Oh, and losing the pickles only saved like 5 calories but a couple of hundred mg of sodium. So that was good anyway!!

LOL thats funny, thanks!! I just dont like the way pickles taste on sandwiches, I wasnt aware that it would save me alot on sodium!
  • carvan
    carvan Posts: 377 Member
    Options

I didnt think about that!! Good point you guys, thanks! Next time I will just make my tuna at home!! I will go and get a veggie sub from subway then add my own tuna!! What are some good substitutes for mayo when mixing tuna???

You could use FF yogurt or FF sour cream. Not the same taste, but the texture is right. I usually use a touch of mayo with the yogurt or sour cream
  • mecm16
    mecm16 Posts: 13
    Options

Lately I've been mushing up half an avocado in my tuna instead of light miracle whip. Avocado does have fat, of course, but it's healthy fat...so it's a much better choice than mayo and it tastes quite good!
  • mhosner
    mhosner Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Another thought would be to eat the half for lunch and then give the other half to your daughter for dinner and have a light salad instead.
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I love tuna!!! I can eat it plain. I also like the tuna creations. I mix my tuna with FF mayo, light mayo, light miracle whip, salsa or mustard. It depends what is readily available. I used to buy the tuna sandwiches at Subway once in a while but there is no telling what kind of mayo and the quantity they use so I don't buy it anymore. I'd rather get a regular sandwich, no cheese, no dressing (only mustard sometimes) and plenty of veggies on whole wheat or honey oat bread. :flowerforyou:
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    you could always use the fat free mayo....That cuts Sooooo many calories. Just a thought

Kraft fat free mayo is 10 calories per tbsp right?
  • cpumpkins
    cpumpkins Posts: 15
    Options
    Sometimes I add mustard to about a teaspoon of mayonnaise and mix it with my tuna. I liked the avocado idea that someone mentioned above.
  • katyk08
    Options
    Another thought would be to eat the half for lunch and then give the other half to your daughter for dinner and have a light salad instead.

Yea I am actually terribly full after the 1st 6 inches of it so Im giving the rest to her dad for dinner tonight!! I dont know what I'll have, some fruit and small salad probly!! Thanks for the advice!!:heart: