Skinfold Calipers??????....

Options
Hi MFPs!!!:love:

Thinking of purchasing some Accu Measure Skinfold Calipers as I would like to measure my body fat....Does anyone know the correct way to use them or whether they are any good??

Thanks in advance you lovely people!!!

:flowerforyou:

Replies

• JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    they should come with a guide
  • Mollydolly10
    Mollydolly10 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    They will come with a guide :) I think usually the general rule is that you take like 3 measurements and then take the average, and just be consistent in your placement
  • robertf57
    robertf57 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Skinfold calpers really require a second person to do the measurements and are best done by trained people. I wouldn't waste my money. Perhaps your gym has a nutritionist or trainer who has some experience? Otherwise, you probably would be better off using one of the bio-impedence devices (I haven't seen a health-club yet that doesn't have one)
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    As stated doing it yourself is difficult, not completely impossible, but accurate measures are hard to get. A good site to help figure out ones body fat % from the measurements is here http://www.linear-software.com/online.html It not only will do the calculations, but shows the where and how of measuring. Will it be as accurate as having a trained person doing it? No. Will it give you a fairly accurate picture of what is happening? Probably, especially if you have someone else do the measuring and follow their suggestions about getting an accurate measurement. As I remember is the Accu-measure which I have as well, is pretty inexpensive.
  • kpower1983
    kpower1983 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Thanks all, I am not a gym member so just looking for a guide, I might just keep pondering on this one.

::happy: