breastfeeding mom and weight changes

Options
I just found this site from another forum. I had my first baby almost 9 months ago and gained 40 lbs. I lost all 40 I assume from breastfeeding, since I eat a ton and dont work out regularly. We will probably start weaning in the next few months I am afraid that if I keep eating as much as I do, I will start gaining. My goal is be able to wean my baby around one year and not gain weight in the process. Keeping track of my diet should help!

Replies

• gidjet11
    gidjet11 Posts: 86
    Options
    It will definitely help! I am also breastfeeding, my son is 6 months old right now. Welcome to the MFP!
  • McFatterton
    McFatterton Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Also a breastfeeding mommy here - my son is 4 months :happy:
  • shoppie
    shoppie Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Tracking ill def help - losing the BFing cals is hard, I have gained both times I gave up feeding (with my older 2 children), you get used to the extra cals and your appetite also increases if you do it long-term. Good luck and welcome to MFP!
  • Codygirlslim
    Options
    It will! As you forgo feedings, you will need to forgo cal's too. I have heard that we burn anywhere from 500-900 cal's a day producing milk, so you will need to watch you intake compared to our out going both in excercise and food. Do not lower your intake so that you are starving though, just watch your cal's. Also, keep your water intake up...that is what most of your breastmilk is made of anyway's. I often find that this is more key than anything else when it comes down to it.
    I have an almost 5 mos old who kindly eats all night long (which means I don't sleep at all), and nurses at least 4-6 times during the day (he's on juice and some cereal). I am watching what happens to me as well, but I have also added the excercise to ensure that I DO NOT gain. I have big lofty goals so I have to stay on my game. lol
    Good luck to you and welcome! Feel free to add me as a friend if you would like. :)
  • kdao
    kdao Posts: 265
    Options
    You are LUCKY :smile: Breastfeeding did not help me lose weight at all, I had to work my butt off to lose the baby weight. For some reason, i lose weight faster when I stop breastfeeding!
  • snookemz
    snookemz Posts: 82
    Options
    Its very possible to lose weight while breastfeeding even if you have previously gained - you don't have to wean to lose weight. I nursed my daughter for 20 months (stopped for some high strength steriod treatments on my spinal injury) and for a while when I tracked my foods I lost about 35lbs. I gained back when I stopped tracking and went on another host of medications, but weaning is definately not the answer to a weight problem :)
  • stephbraden74
    stephbraden74 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I think I was one of the few women in the world who actaully held onto weight while nursing, and then lost weight when I stopped nursing!! BUT I think its becuase my appetite was SOOO huge while nursing and I started eating way less as I weaned. Either way, I still have about 15 to lose, (have not nursed in a year) its the last of the stubborn weight, and this site is REALLy helpfull!! Welcome and good luck!!!
  • sunnny218
    sunnny218 Posts: 16
    Options
    Wow you guys rock, thanks for the replies and support! If I can nurse past a year I certainly will, a year was the point I wanted to make it to as a minimum. I agree with the comment about needing water, I found this out the hard way since I was a "camel" prior to pregnancy. For those of you that nursed or are still nursing, have you been able to exercise without it lowering supply? I really want to try a sprint triathlon this spring but thought it was out of the question while nursing.
  • snookemz
    snookemz Posts: 82
    Options
    with 9months of a bf relationship your supply should be completely established so cutting calories SOME and exercising shouldn't cause a problem. Make sure you log that you breastfeed (I think its in the food database but might be in exercise too) so MFP will give you those extra calories you need and log your exercise so you have those needed calories too, IF you notice any drop in supply feel free to message me and I can find solutions for you. In my 20m of nursing I experienced 2 emergency spinal surgeries and countless proceedures that affect my supply as well as a baby with a tied tongue (stretched it instead of clipping) and a massive uterine infection that made supply drop (as did antibiotics) so I've been through the ringer with nursing and I have tons of tricks up my sleeve :)
  • sunnny218
    sunnny218 Posts: 16
    Options
    Thanks mamma, and thats awesome you nurse so long through all of that!
  • sparkyntiger
    Options
    Hi!

I am new to MFP and also a breastfeeding mommy! Good to know there's more out there than I thought!

Alice
  • laydeedancer
    Options
    with 9months of a bf relationship your supply should be completely established so cutting calories SOME and exercising shouldn't cause a problem. Make sure you log that you breastfeed (I think its in the food database but might be in exercise too) so MFP will give you those extra calories you need and log your exercise so you have those needed calories too, IF you notice any drop in supply feel free to message me and I can find solutions for you. In my 20m of nursing I experienced 2 emergency spinal surgeries and countless proceedures that affect my supply as well as a baby with a tied tongue (stretched it instead of clipping) and a massive uterine infection that made supply drop (as did antibiotics) so I've been through the ringer with nursing and I have tons of tricks up my sleeve :)

I totally agree...your supply is established and balanced at this point. Exercising, along with healthy eating and lots of water, shouldn't cause any dip in supply!

I nursed my daughter (now 4) until she was 17 months. BEST DIET EVER. Sadly, once she weaned, I didn't stop eating for two. Which is why I'm here.