thyroid cancer??

Options
just wondering if any one here has had there thyroid completely removed and if so how are you doing as far as weight loss and keeping it off? thanks

Replies

• its_betty
    its_betty Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    My sister (cancer) and my mother (Hashimoto's) both had their thyroids removed. I am hypothyroid but still have my thyroid. Sister: always on the slimmer side and active; no noticeable weight gain at all. Mother: always a bit on the heavy side (even in her childhood photos), stays at a slightly overweight but not obese weight. She's looked about the same (give or take 10 lbs) to me for the past 40+ years. In her late 70s she lost a few pounds which kept her off medication for pre-diabetes; I think she stopped snacking at night and started walking more to drop a few pounds. Me: hypothyroid diagnosed in my 20s, slowly inched up in weight over the years, but nothing too dramatic. Now working to lose 10-15 lbs, and it's slow going, but I only have MFP set to lost .5 lbs a week.

So I think so long as your TSH levels are controlled properly with medication, you can lose weight and keep it off. If your TSH level is the same as a person with a healthy thyroid, it shouldn't be a factor, right?

But I'm not an endocrinologist, so what do I know?!