Replies

• nomex
    nomex Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Protein calculator here:

http://www.healthcalculators.org/calculators/protein.asp

some other info and calculations here:
    http://exercise.about.com/cs/nutrition/a/protein_2.htm

* the first link provides a minimum (which I think is set pretty low).
    I like the second link, because it provides a range. If you are lifting LOTS, then you probably want to be on the upper end. I have been playing with my protein lately within this range. Right now it is set at 45%, 40%, 15% (Protein/ Carbs/ Fat). this seems more reasonable than what MFP had set for me.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Some of the recommendations you have been given are incorrect. The actual recommendations are 0.8 grams per KILOGRAM of body weight not per pound. That is the standard recommendation. People who are doing heavy resistance training or lots of cardio need more. The general recommendation is up to 2 grams per kilogram of body weight for highly trained people. The highest that I've seen studied as being "safe" is 2.7 grams per kilogram of body weight.

The recommendations from MFP are on the low end of the recommendation zone of 10-35% because they don't want to go over the standard 0.8 grams per kilogram in case the person has an underlying kidney issue. Actually, for kidney issues, the recommendation goes down to 0.6 grams per kilogram or no more then 15% of total intake from protein. If you've never had a UTI or kidney stone, though, you're probably pretty safe with a higher amount of protein then what MFP recommends. If you are diabetic, though, you have to watch out because that is the number one cause of renal (kidney) disease and they think it may be partially linked to the high protein intake to avoid carbs. But if you aren't diabetic and haven't ever had kidney issues, I wouldn't worry about setting your protein needs up higher.
  • B2BB
    B2BB Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Check out my page for the questionnaire link
    Facebook.com/burns2bbeautiful
  • sheilamo
    sheilamo Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys for the comments. Lots for me to sift through. :laugh:

I do work out 6 days a week of a variety of weights/cardio/yoga. MFP suggests 51 grams of protein a day and I'm normally taking in 65-72. Just making sure
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys for the comments. Lots for me to sift through. :laugh:

I do work out 6 days a week of a variety of weights/cardio/yoga. MFP suggests 51 grams of protein a day and I'm normally taking in 65-72. Just making sure

nothing to worry about :)

and also protein is 4cals per gram but because it has takes longer to digest it actually works out to be a bit lower than this.