Accountability is the answer!

Options
2»

Replies

• kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Birth control made me gain weight

Some medications or life circumstances make it necessary to change the way/what we eat or how much exercise we get if we don't want to gain weight. It is our choice how we respond to the situation. In the case of BC, it is stated clearly that there is a fairly significant chance of weight gain with many of them. If we make the choice to go on BC, then we are also making the decision to either alter our eating/exercise or risk gaining weight. If it's an accident or surgery that lays us up for a while, it's fairly evident that physical energy expenditure is going to be down, that means energy input (food) better also decrease or weight gain will ensue. We choose whether we decrease our food intake or not.

Do some of us have an easier time with weight loss/management than others? Absolutely! But we have to work with what God gave us and figure out how to keep ourselves healthy.
  • precious71701
    Options
    I absolutely agree with you...It took some years of overeating to get me where I am today and I have to face the fact that it's going to take some time of healthy eating and exercising to ge back to where I need to be. ...Committment, dedication, and accountability....This time I am holding myself accountable to eating and exercising for lifestyle change not just to lose weight...This site is the best I've seen and all of you have encouraged me todo the right thing for myself and my family...I love me and them and I want to be around for a long time...

5917816.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • amjmomma
    amjmomma Posts: 41
    Options
    I agree, it was always easy to blame the fact that I have had four kids, or that my husband is an amazing cook who only uses high fat ingredients, or blah blah blah. They are all excuses and the real thing is that I don't eat the way I should. I can honestly say that I am in the best shape of my life. I run regularly and I recently ran a half marathon without stopping to walk! I think if I can discipline myself that much, you'd think I would be able to discipline myself when it comes to my eating too. But, for some reason, I just can't seem to get it under control. This website is helping me, but it's still been hard. I think I have to accept the fact that this is going to be a lifelong battle for me, but having support and people on my side who think the same way I am will really help me win. Feel free to add me as a friend if anyone wants to!!
  • Majunta
    Majunta Posts: 575
    Options
    Food for thought...if one ate a healthy amount of calories but had Hypothyroidism (undiagnosed), that person would gain weight due to slower metablosim. There are times when the person is not responsible for the weight gain.
  • PantalaNagaPampa
    PantalaNagaPampa Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Steph, et al.

I agree with you whole hartedly.

For me, I lost my left leg and most of my right foot years ago. Prior to the amputations, I was a very ahlteic and fit. I spent 8 years in the military and could run circles around most people. After the loss of my leg and foot, I spent about 6 months in a wheel chair feeling sorry for myself and eating eveything in sight. Gained 60 lbs. Ever since then I have struggled with my weight. Yes, I have used my amputiations as an excuss for many years, saying I can't run or be as active as other people.

It wasn't until the beginning of this year that I decided enough was enoguh and got serious about loosing the wieght and getting back into shape. I am leaving all my excusses on the table and have already dropped 22lbs.
  • bugnbeansmom
    bugnbeansmom Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Food for thought...if one ate a healthy amount of calories but had Hypothyroidism (undiagnosed), that person would gain weight due to slower metablosim. There are times when the person is not responsible for the weight gain.

Not having all of the information is one thing, but realizing that something is wrong and not taking action to correct or get that information is another.
  • alpaughmom
    alpaughmom Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    well said!
  • erinnmcpherson
    Options
    agreed!
  • casie05
    casie05 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I totally agree. And wish more ppl would admit that it's them selves not some pill or job they have/take. It wasn't until this website I was able to actually see how much I was putting into my body!
  • Steph70508
    Steph70508 Posts: 110
    Options
    Referring to hypothyroidism and weight gain/loss (from the American thyroid association website)
    With special note to the last paragraph.
    http://www.thyroid.org/patients/brochures/Thyroid_and_Weight.pdf

What is the relationship between hypothyroidism and weight
    gain?
    Since the BMR in the patient with hypothyroidism (see Hypothyroidism
    brochure) is decreased, an underactive thyroid is generally associated
    with some weight gain. The weight gain is often greater in those
    individuals with more severe hypothyroidism. However, the decrease
    in BMR due to hypothyroidism is usually much less dramatic than the
    marked increase seen in hyperthyroidism, leading to more modest
    alterations in weight due to the underactive thyroid. The cause of the
    weight gain in hypothyroid individuals is also complex, and not always
    related to excess fat accumulation. Most of the extra weight gained in
    hypothyroid individuals is due to excess accumulation of salt and water.
    Massive weight gain is rarely associated with hypothyroidism. In general,
    5-10 pounds of body weight may be attributable to the thyroid,
    depending on the severity of the hypothyroidism. Finally, if weight gain
    is the only symptom of hypothyroidism that is present, it is less likely
    that the weight gain is solely due to the thyroid.
    How much weight can I expect to lose once the hypothyroidism is
    treated?
    Since much of the weight gain in hypothyroidism is accumulation in
    salt and water, when the hypothyroidism is treated one can expect a
    small (usually less than 10% of body weight) weight loss. As in the
    treatment with hyperthyroidism, treatment of the abnormal state of
    hypothyroidism with thyroid hormone should result in a return of body
    weight to what it was before the hypothyroidism developed. However,
    since hypothyroidism usually develops over a long period of time, it
    fairly common to find that there is no significant weight loss after
    successful treatment of hypothyroidism. Again, if all of the other
    symptoms of hypothyroidism, with the exception of weight gain, are
    resolved with treatment with thyroid hormone, it is less likely that the
    weight gain is solely due to the thyroid. Once hypothyroidism has been
    treated and thyroid hormone levels have returned to the normal range
    on thyroid hormone, the ability to gain or lose weight is the same as in
    individuals who do not have thyroid problems.
  • golfbrew_matt
    golfbrew_matt Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    100% agree.
  • takingbackalison
    Options
    I AGREE. I mean there probably are circumstances where it may not be your fault... But I mostly agree lol
  • Majunta
    Majunta Posts: 575
    Options

Not having all of the information is one thing, but realizing that something is wrong and not taking action to correct or get that information is another.

Agreed. I thought that was implied.:blushing:
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I know that accountability is the answer, but I also acknowledge and forgive myself for the reasons I put on 1/2 the weight I had lost. It doesn't have to be your 'fault', but it doesn't mean you can't do something about it.

I know it is harder to lose weight now I'm on medication, but not impossible, I know it is harder to exercise with my injury, but I'll find something I CAN do. I know that without someone to encourage and support me my life is more difficult but can find joy in other ways. This is because I am worth it and am finding ways other than eating to nurture and love myself.

Thank you for the post.

GG
  • ams89073
    ams89073 Posts: 4
    Options
    thank you! i love pleasing others and verbal praise does go a long way. and everyone needs a little pick me up and support! i appreciate your comment. =] (btw, everyone should get a scale that measures the body fat, it keeps you from freaking out when you have water weight at certain times. there's one at walmart for 35 dollars i got that shows bmi, fat percent, bone mass, water weight, and just plain scale weight! My cousin weighes more than me, but she's a ballerina with a little six pack. i never knew how much muscle mattered vs. just weight!)
  • ams89073
    ams89073 Posts: 4
    Options
    i just went back and read other posts before the one i posted.....

yes, i agree with accountability. obviously since i wrote on this post. However, we have to stay positive and not judge. This site seems to be based on working as a team. Yes, I may be wrong, I don't have all the answers because I'm not an expert. I just enjoy reading comments where people are supportive and upbeat, not the ones where they dispute people's statements. The fact that people are on this site is because they want to change. Yes, I may have been lazy at a time choosing not to eat well and not exercise. Yet, if you were tiny and could eat anything, why would you? 19 years of looking great without trying, and then gaining weight for no reason can put a shock on you. I am very self conscious and beat up on myself a lot. And it would hurt me for someone to tell me that it was all my fault for getting 'chunky.' I say let ppl blame it on something else before, but as long as they are changing in the now. I am changing my lifestyle now, and sure blaming it on some meds makes me feel like not such a failure. it makes it feel like a mistake i moved past. I can handle making mistakes, I can't handle being told I'm lazy and such. does that make any sense? We've all made bad decisions in the past, let's just look towards the future! I've read this post twice trying to make sure I'm not sounding bad, I'm not talking about anyone. promise!! =] it's just a general statement and my mentor teacher today just said that just because we dont' agree with someone doesn't mean they are wrong. it just means we're different. It's hard, even for me because I'm stubborn. let's just state our opinions, and agree to disagree whenever it happens. sorry this is so long btw, i'm graduating in may to become a teacher. i can't help it. Keep it up ladies and gentlemen! y'alls success inspires me to keep going with this.
  • cklbrown
    cklbrown Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    I agree with you, although I do feel that Ben and Jerry could share a little of the blame, as we are best friends. (or a least we were!)
  • irishgal44
    irishgal44 Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    Amen! As much as I'd like to say I gained 15 lbs from going off the depo shot years and years ago, all in one month, I do remember eating a serious amount of butter cookies that year that were in my desk over Christmas break. Wow...kinda felt good to admit that. Whew.

And sometimes I wish I could turn back time...had a weight problem since childhood. Worked at a job that I biked
  • Steph70508
    Options
    I agree with you, although I do feel that Ben and Jerry could share a little of the blame, as we are best friends. (or a least we were!)

:love: mmmm Ben and Jerry! Lol
  • Steph70508
    Options
    Steph, et al.

I agree with you whole hartedly.

For me, I lost my left leg and most of my right foot years ago. Prior to the amputations, I was a very ahlteic and fit. I spent 8 years in the military and could run circles around most people. After the loss of my leg and foot, I spent about 6 months in a wheel chair feeling sorry for myself and eating eveything in sight. Gained 60 lbs. Ever since then I have struggled with my weight. Yes, I have used my amputiations as an excuss for many years, saying I can't run or be as active as other people.

It wasn't until the beginning of this year that I decided enough was enoguh and got serious about loosing the wieght and getting back into shape. I am leaving all my excusses on the table and have already dropped 22lbs.

Not sure how I missed this post, but that is so great! This man cannot be stopped :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!