Craving salt?

Options
darrcn5
darrcn5 Posts: 495 Member
I have been craving salt the past couple of weeks, since I started regularly working out an hour every day, at a vigorous intensity. I have read before that when you have a craving, it's because you are deficient in a nutrient. Does anyone know if that's the case when you crave sodium?

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I have been craving salt the past couple of weeks, since I started regularly working out an hour every day, at a vigorous intensity. I have read before that when you have a craving, it's because you are deficient in a nutrient. Does anyone know if that's the case when you crave sodium?
  • isobel2010
    Options
    Probably dehydrated. Be sure you drink at least 64 oz. a day - and add some gatorade while working out. Should help cut craving.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    If your working out a lot you may be sweating more salt than you are taking in. I know that sounds wrong but you should watch it.
    It could raise your potassium and could be dangerous to your heart. If you are concerned you should talk to your Doctor.
    I seen you have a baby so I assume you see the Doctor regularly. Even if it is the baby's Doctor. Ask him or her, they won't mind.
    Keep yourself healthy for that beautiful baby!
    Watch sports drinks they are very high in sodium and if your problem is something else it could be dangerous. Always talk to
    your Doctor. Especially if you are a new MOM~!!!
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    That can be a sign of low blood pressure. I'd get checked by the doctor. I'm not no doctor but the one LPN I work with mentioned it one time.
  • darrcn5
    darrcn5 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I actually have a check up next week, so I will make sure I ask him. I admit, I haven't been that good with drinking my water like I need to and I'm drinking WAY too much Diet Mountain Dew.