Newbie here. Any tools/tricks to avoid guessing portions?

Options
Does anyone have suggestions for kitchen tools or tricks that help them not accidentally (or subconsciously) cheat? So far I already know I need a kitchen scale. When I'm running out of calories for the day I know that without it I will convince myself that my 8 oz. of chicken is only 5 oz! :wink: Are there any other useful tools or methods you use to quickly and accurately measure portions?

Replies

• Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    A kitchen scale really is the best way. Well worth the $20-$25.
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Measure, measure, measure -- weigh ... and measure some more! :)
  • MelanieP_TX
    MelanieP_TX Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I use measuring cups, spoons, and a scale everyday.
  • WomanofWorth
    WomanofWorth Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have suggestions for kitchen tools or tricks that help them not accidentally (or subconsciously) cheat? So far I already know I need a kitchen scale. When I'm running out of calories for the day I know that without it I will convince myself that my 8 oz. of chicken is only 5 oz! :wink: Are there any other useful tools or methods you use to quickly and accurately measure portions?

kirchen scale, measuring spoons and measuring cups.
  • chrissyv1024
    chrissyv1024 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Yes! hit up the dollar store.. get some measuring spoons and cups and I got a small scale from Target for like $10. It's really small.. a 16 oz capacity and is a Taylor brand. it's really compact and stores easily. The container is removal and also acts as a storage unit with lid!. I found it very useful for measure EVERYTHING!
  • CountandBaxter
    CountandBaxter Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    A scale is the one thing I don't have. Geez- I'm glad I read this thread. I will have one by the end of the week. :)
  • spcopps
    spcopps Posts: 283
    Options
    I agree measure, weigh, then measure again. I have found that on more dense foods and grains it is better to weigh in grams than to use a measuring spoon or cup. I saw a post on here about that and when I actually did it I was surprised at how much I measured over without knowing when using the spoons and measuring cups.
  • mandyschalk
    mandyschalk Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Definitly a kitchen scale, pay the extra few bucks for a digital one for sure! Get 2 set of both measuring cups and spoons so that you are not constantly washing, leads to less cheating!
    Both my husband and I who have been trained to eyeball portions (from being in the resturant industry) measure EVERYTHING!!
    Good luck!
  • MsKittyCAT
    MsKittyCAT Posts: 217
    Options
    Boyfriend just got me a small scale a few days ago, it was on sale at Bed, Bath & Beyond. I also have a set of plastic measuring cups and spoons that get daily use.

I bought a bunch of small plastic containers that are good for freezer, microwave, and dishwasher. When you cook divide leftovers into appropriate meal portions so there isn't guesswork next time you are in a rush - just grab a container and you know it is the right amount

Good Luck!
  • daisy89
    daisy89 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I just bought myself a digital Cuisinart scale at Bed, Bath & Beyond the other day. It is AMAZING and by far one of the best purchases (as related to weight loss) that I've made.

If you register online at B,B&B, they'll e-mail you a 20 % off coupon, that's what I used to buy mine.

It's a small little silver one, it's bowl also doubles as a lid/cover. =]

I also bought two sets of measuring cups and table spoons each. Mine always seem to get dirty rather quickly. Lol.
  • DancingFox
    DancingFox Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Wal-Mart has a decent little kitchen scale for $10. I think I'm going to pick it up soon, myself. :)
  • gaterbear
    gaterbear Posts: 68
    Options
    I agree with all the comments and would add one more. Not really a tool but has been one of my most effective "tools/tricks" for living the MFP lifestyle: Buy small plates to use instead of the traditional larger ones for dinner/meals. I found some square, white salad plates at World Market that are perfect. The food looks wonderful with the white and due to the small square shape my meals looks like full dinners and not a "diet meal." There have been several studies and the size of our plates, especially in restaurants, has been growing over the years just as the American public has been growing. Tonight I had a baked chicken breast stuffed with some ham & cheese and one yellow squash steamed. It filled the salad plate and looked like a lot more food than it actually was. The one yellow squash filled half the plate. Just a thought for what it is worth.
  • foodforfuel
    foodforfuel Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with more than one set of measuring cups and spoons. I have 2 now, and am picking up a third set this weekend. Also, I buy packs of clear pastic disposable 9 oz. cups at WalMart (really cheap) and keep them handy to measure out my breakfast juices and whatnot. Easy to eye 8 oz., as you leave some room to 'carry' at the top of the cup. If you are concerned about the enviornment, you could always wash them out after using.
  • Liatush
    Liatush Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Cynthiafaron
    Cynthiafaron Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    a kitchen scale - This really helped me.
  • Sarahr73
    Sarahr73 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Yes! hit up the dollar store.. get some measuring spoons and cups and I got a small scale from Target for like $10. It's really small.. a 16 oz capacity and is a Taylor brand. it's really compact and stores easily. The container is removal and also acts as a storage unit with lid!. I found it very useful for measure EVERYTHING!

I have this scale also and I love it. It is really small and I adjust it to whatever conatiner I am using. It does come with a container and a lid but I set my other tupperware on it and zero it so I can just add my food right into the containers I will use that day. It has grams and ounces on it too and I use it almost everyday.
  • mandyschalk
    mandyschalk Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the comments and would add one more. Not really a tool but has been one of my most effective "tools/tricks" for living the MFP lifestyle: Buy small plates to use instead of the traditional larger ones for dinner/meals. I found some square, white salad plates at World Market that are perfect. The food looks wonderful with the white and due to the small square shape my meals looks like full dinners and not a "diet meal." There have been several studies and the size of our plates, especially in restaurants, has been growing over the years just as the American public has been growing. Tonight I had a baked chicken breast stuffed with some ham & cheese and one yellow squash steamed. It filled the salad plate and looked like a lot more food than it actually was. The one yellow squash filled half the plate. Just a thought for what it is worth.
    TOTALLY AGREE!!!