Diet Coke or Diet Sodas in general?

Options
So- I didn't lose any weight about a week ago which caused me to think of ways to change up my routine - either exercise, eating or drinking. So I decided to give up diet coke for a week. Which is a HUGE deal as I used to have at least 1 big gulp a day, if not two :/

Instead of diet coke- I just drank more water (sometimes with stuff in it/ sometimes just plain). Just to see what would happen.

Well, after that week, I had lost 2 lbs. So I think I'm going to lay off the diet sodas for a while.

Is it a coincidence? Has anyone else done this too with success?

Replies

• jsmjboertlein
    Options
    Diet sodas are proven to add belly fat.
  • Mcogelia
    Mcogelia Posts: 16
    Options
    A few weeks ago I realized that I wasn't really losing much weight as well. I decided to cut out diet soda totally. It was hard at first but now I don't even crave it anymore. Weight started to come off much easier! I think it makes a huge difference! Keep it up :)
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. I'm a Diet Cokeaddict. I think I may need to start drinking the Kool-Aid. Oops! I mean water.
  • heather1945
    heather1945 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Yay - No doubt you're on the right track - keep the water intake up. When feeling like a soda, think about it as 'the enemy'!!! :-)
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    ronda_gettinghealthy Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    On top of everthing the aspartame and sodium and caffeine, the phosphoric acid in the dark sodas leaching out the calcium in your bones and I have read studies linking early and increased soda drinking in girls to earlier onset of osteopenia (precursor to osteoporosis) Avoid like the plague!!! (ps I LOVE them but have really tried to drink less than one per day- and am working to cut them out all together-they really are addicting)
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Diet sodas are proven to add belly fat.

really? I didnt know this! Where did you find this information from?
  • Tzavush
    Tzavush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Soda pop in any form is full of sodium - drinking soda will encourage you to retain water as well
  • 85specialk
    Options
    thanks for sharing! i'm slightly addicted to diet coke, and although i know its not good for me, i actually didn't think it would affect my weight loss! i'm definitely going to lay off it now to see what happens. hopefully, it will have a positive effect!

thanks!
  • jsmjboertlein
    Options
    OOPS let me correct that. It's in research mode, not scientifically proven yet.
  • Lexie71
    Lexie71 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I don't want to think about this!!! But thanks for posting lol
    Hello my name is Lexie and I am a diet soda-aholic. Though I've already cut back to about 1 per day and haven't noticed a difference.....doesn't mean there isn't one!
  • Mad_Dog_Muscle
    Mad_Dog_Muscle Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    *bump*

I have heard the same thing many times before. Must be some truth in it.
  • sarahlyon328
    Options
    Aspartame, nutrasweet, whatever you want to call it, activates pleasure centers in your brain. Meaning that the food doesn't actually taste good, you just think it does. This also leads to more cravings. Studied it in bio-chem.
  • crjugrl
    crjugrl Posts: 172
    Options
    Soda pop in any form is full of sodium - drinking soda will encourage you to retain water as well

I drink diet super chill (the ginger ale flavor) and while there are 5 calories per can, there is actually no sodium. It took me by surprise too!
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I was a Diet Coke addict for 14 years.. Drank TONS of that, every day, all day long. Gave it up cold turkey two years ago this coming weekend. Best decision I had made for my health ever... until I started running that is!!!! I have more energy, feel better and don't even miss it anymore. Yes, it took about six weeks for me to feel the benefits and about six months for me not to want it anymore. You won't be sorry if you leave that poison behind for good!!!! Now it's all water and the occasional unsweetened iced tea for me (fresh brewed of course).
  • CountandBaxter
    CountandBaxter Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I don't want to think about this!!! But thanks for posting lol
    Hello my name is Lexie and I am a diet soda-aholic. Though I've already cut back to about 1 per day and haven't noticed a difference.....doesn't mean there isn't one!

seriously. I was into diet soda in the worst way possible. but the cravings haven't been that bad. I noticed I would have a diet coke craving when I am stressed out- like for some reason diet coke was the only way to calm me down :/ weird. But it's only been a week and a half- so we'll see how it goes.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options

This is a fallacy--diet coke only has 40mgs of sodium in a 12oz. can--only 2% of daily total. That being said, I've heard all sots of other reasons to lay off. I used to be addicted, but went cold turkey a few years ago. Now I drink green tea (home brewed, hot or iced) instead. I only drink diet coke with my rum :wink: And once in a while as a "treat."
  • gogophers
    gogophers Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    First time poster here, just started my diet on Saturday morning. Regarding the diet sodas, I actually did a very extensive literature review on published experiments a couple months ago. There is no way to say for sure whether they help you or hurt you with weight loss. From the research done so far though, my guess is that it doesn't affect weight loss.

That being said, sodas are most definitely bad for you. I have learned this from my personal use as well as reading studies. They can lead to various forms of cancer and may cause bone problems. The most obvious issue that they cause is chronic acid reflux. Up until last Wednesday I was drinking 2-3 Liters! of Diet Pepsi per day. I had acid reflux almost every day. When our school had breaks and I went home I didn't drink nearly as much (maybe 12 oz/day = 1 can). I didn't have acid reflux when I was at home. When I returned to school, the acid reflux started again. I knew it was the soda, I just couldn't stop :). I finally stopped cold turkey, and haven't had any acid reflux since last Thursday morning. I'm extremely happy that I stopped (and so is my wallet as I was spending $2/liter which came out to about $40/week and I'm still in college so I don't have a ton of extra money).