Cardio or Weights first?

Options
Someone at work was telling me that you should do weights before doing cardio because you burn the glucagon first then when you get to the cardio the glucagon is gone and you burn fat more efficiently.... anyone have any ideas on this?

Replies

• sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Whoa, you are a monster! I do strength and cardio on different days, I have no idea how to handle them on the same day! I hope someone else has some knowledge to share with you :D

PS - great job doing both the same day!!!
  • rachpiper720
    Options
    I'm not sure about the chemical necessity for doing weights first, but I have heard that you should do weights first that way the muscle groups you are working on are not fatigued. You max out your muscles and then move to cardio. I know if I do cardio first I just can't do as many squats, lunges, and push-ups compared to when I do them pre-cardio. Hope that helps.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    BUMP!!

I want to hear the answer to this. I do both in whatever order works (meaning if an elliptical is open when I get there I start with cardio, if not I work the weights until a machine opens up). If I would get more fat burn doing the weights 1st, I would love to know!!
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I am curious about this as well.
  • pkgirrl
    pkgirrl Posts: 587
    Options
    That statement would be correct. When you jump straight on a treadmill, you're body's going to burn any sugar (glycogen) stored in your muscles as fuel first. So the first 20min plus of your cardio will just be depleting these stores, before it starts to tap into fat. AND, as a double bonus, when you use this energy for strength training instead, you'll get a much better workout, because you won't be fatigued.

Unless you're specifically training to improve your cardiovascular fitness, definitely strength first. Just make sure you warm up properly first! =)
  • spcopps
    spcopps Posts: 283
    Options
    Here is a website I found that talks about this and other workout routine options...HTH

http://www.hugeandripped.com/cardio-or-weights-first/
  • jesster64
    jesster64 Posts: 109
    Options
    I did a spin class and was going to do a leg workout with weights after. My trainer asked why, since I had burned all the glycogen in my muscles during spin. He said to go home and rest and recover for the day. I read you should do weights first, since your muscles have stored glycogen, then if you have the energy, cardio after.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Yep! That's what I've heard. I always do my weights first.
  • Aetarac
    Aetarac Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Wow, great info to know. Thanks all.
  • JAG1224
    JAG1224 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    i always did it the opposite way, cardio then weights. time to change, had no idea! thanks for posting. :)
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SashaSpells
    Options
    I have always heard, and done, cardio first. (I subscribe to fitness magazine and that's what they always say...) It gets your heart rate up so that you burn more calories during your weight workout that way. (If I do twenty minutes cardio before I do weights I burn more calories lifting weights than I do on days I don't do cardio first.... I've compared before). Yes, I'm sure that glycogen stuff is probably true and very important if you're looking to --bulk up--, but I'd imagine most women are doing weights just to tone and burn calories. Idk, just my two cents. =)
  • abyssfully
    abyssfully Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    We were taught in our Kinesiology classes to do weights first and cardio second to burn more fat :)
  • canaussie
    canaussie Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses MFPers! I will do some more research and might just have to switch up my routine. I think I will still do a 5-10 min warm up on the treadmill though. Thanks again! :)
  • Fancraze1
    Options
    My trainer always has me do weights and then cardio.
  • LitaPOW
    LitaPOW Posts: 3
    Options
    My fav workout DVD's usually combine both but when I'm not doing a DVD at home I do cardio first then weights. I try to do cardio every day but alternate days for weights.
  • bbb84
    bbb84 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses MFPers! I will do some more research and might just have to switch up my routine. I think I will still do a 5-10 min warm up on the treadmill though. Thanks again! :)

We have a fitness team and work and when they reviewed the plan I followed, they had me switch up to do a 5-10 min warm up, followed by weights and then cardio! The fitness team are all college grads with bachelors who have been working in the business for years! Good luck on your journey!
  • crlujan
    crlujan Posts: 59
    Options
    Men's Health says to do weights first. Says that you'll be able to lift heavier if you do weights before cardio.
  • canaussie
    canaussie Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    i knew i could count on you guys for some answers! thank you. weights first today :)
  • NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    Yes all trainers tell you to strength train first. I do not follow this. I always do my cardio first bc it gets my adrenaline going and I do more and last longer when I do my cardio first. So they usually tell me to stick to what I am doing if it working for me.