Body Dysmorphic Disorder

fitbot
fitbot Posts: 406
edited September 25 in Motivation and Support
I have NO idea what I look like. NONE. My scale is busted and changed by 4 kilos every time it is stepped on- and anyways I feel like what the scale says now has a different reference point than what I thought my perfect weight is 8 years ago...., and every mirror in my house has a different effect. Leaving the house does not make it easier. Skinny mirrors in shops, bad cellulite accentuating lighting in changerooms, your own reflection in windows, taking photos of oneself is also not a good way of seeing how one looks....... it's enough to send a girl on a rollercoaster of emotions and potentially mashing an entire block of cheese into one's face. One minute I think I am totally hot stuff, then I look somewhere else, and I feel like my legs look like 2 prosciutto hams in heels. Seriously... how does one know what is actually going on with one's body?

help

Replies

• Macacadopai
    Macacadopai Posts: 183 Member
    I feel like you took the words right out of my mouth!
  • clioandboy
    clioandboy Posts: 963 Member
    Yep, n does it matter what the body actually looks like.... If you don't like it? Feeling comfortable in my skin, n with it's reflection will be a lifetimes work fir me I think!
  • I know exactly how you feel!!!!! And it really is a social henderence too!!!! My close friends and husband are always telling me I need to lighten up on myself and that I am looking good but I just don't see it when I see a picture of myself, look in the mirror, or anything. The thing to do is to hold on to what you are doing with your body. You are eating healthier and exercising more. You can tell that instead of 15 minutes into a workout it takes now 30 minutes before you start getting tired. Its things like that not the mirror, the scale, or the pictures its what you are feeling inside!!!!!
  • CasperNZ
    CasperNZ Posts: 8 Member
    I hear ya! It doesn't matter how many people tell I'm looking good and losing weight, I still see all the fat bits and flabby bits. I don't know if I'll ever be comfortable in my body like I used to be. Not sure what the answer is, but you're not alone.
  • fitbot
    the thing is, sometimes there is a period in my life when I REALLY hate the way i look, and 2 years later look at fotos and realize that I looked GREAT

:(
  • JunkFoodJane
    JunkFoodJane Posts: 150 Member
    How about wearing your fav jeans, yet when you are out shopping you can't even get others in the size past your knees?

I've stopped worrying about it as much as I can. I have a couple of photos I snapped and will update them every two weeks. I'll just worry about moving forward rather than comparing me to anyone else.

I try to ignore my reflection otherwise. Keeps me feeling happy with my efforts.
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    the other day i was feeling lighter, less fat, then I looked at pictures people took of me that day, I cried... and yesturday and today i just feel super fat and ugly.. :(
  • fitbot
    fat/ugly days are the WORST!!!!!!!!
  • sunshine79
    sunshine79 Posts: 758 Member
    I totally hear you on this one. So many people tell me that I look great and I'm fine as I am but I don't often feel it. Even within the course of a day how I feel about my body and the way I perceive it changes several times. I'm not sure I will even get over this as even when I lost loads of weight last year I never 'felt' it. It's only when I look back at pictures that I can see how I looked then.

This issue really gets me down:cry::cry:
  • fitbot
    srsly, what's a girl to do?
  • ExerciseGeek
    ExerciseGeek Posts: 183 Member
    :ohwell: Hey, im going through exactly the same thing, im nearly down to my goal weight,but still feel that they is alot more to lose, i constantly grab my body finding fat i need to tone up =/
    Its sad actually because i looked through photos from when I was 18 (20 now) and I was 1size bigger, yet I loved how I felt, I was confortable in my own skin! Its weird how Ive lost weight yet im still not happy, I still look in the mirror and see the bigger me.

My boyfriend asked me yesterday to stop talking about food and weight constantly, he was getting bored.. i think im obsessed :noway: , I want the old me back :ohwell:
    xx
  • stephanielynn76
    stephanielynn76 Posts: 709 Member
    I've been told over and over that I'm "too skinny." While I KNOW that this is the smallest number I've seen on the scale in my adult life... and I KNOW this is the smallest size I've ever worn, I still don't FEEL or LOOK all that thin to myself. I am not trying to lose anymore at this point as I'm ok where I am. But I don't see the "skinny" others are describing when I look in the mirror. I don't know if they are exaggerating or being dramatic or if I am just too obsessed to see what's there. I think the change happens so gradually for us that we never experience the shock value of how different we look.
  • Macacadopai
    Macacadopai Posts: 183 Member
    I've realized the only time I get that HELL YES adrenalin rush flow through my body is when I fit into something that is a size smaller or w/e, but that lasts for about 1h maybe. It's weird really. I was working a week to fit into a pair of jeans I bought a couple of weeks ago, now they fit, but I start doubting it, like hey maybe I somehow stretched them out because they have stretch material, and I should go change them for a size smaller or something.
    And as for photos,,,,urgh. I took a pic in the beginning, and yes I look a lot better in the one i took yesterday, but the one I took a couple of weeks ago looks better than the one from yesterday, even though I've lost weight since then. It all depends on how from what angle u took the pic etc. Frustrating....
  • maryloo2011
    maryloo2011 Posts: 446
    Mirrors drive me nuts! Not one in my day-to-day life makes me look the same... ugh.
This discussion has been closed.