Kettlebells Anyone?

Options
I've heard that Kettlebells are a great workout. Does anyone have experience with them at all? Any advice/sample workouts would be appreciated.
Cheers

Rick

Replies

• DebbieLaviolette
    DebbieLaviolette Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I've heard the same thing and I bought 1....haven't done anything with it since...Look forward to seeing responses.
  • shalynna89
    shalynna89 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I know Jillian Micheals has a dvd that you use one with. It's called Shred it With Weights. If its anything like her 30-day Shred it would be a good one to try. I've never done it, so i can't recommend it but I have seen it in the stores with her others. The other Dvd woorkouts i have tried from her are awesome workouts so I'm sure it wouldn't disappoint!
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
  • mazimoo79
    Options
    YES YES and YES! kettlebells are fabulous ive used them in part of my weightloss (before i got lazy) and helped me go from 16st to 9stone. they are great for cardiovascular as they build up fab sweat if used well and burn an amazing amount of calories, obviously the more work you do the better the results! also my husband uses them for weight training so great all rounders.
    Im not proffessional but would recommend you start light and work up to heavier ones, 12 kg is great for men to start. i personally use 8kg as i have no muscles xx

there are loads of different exercises you can do with kettlebells, can tell you my favorites, or you can look up you tube, the biggest loser also show kettlebell work outs and there is a sky fitness channel that shows some.

hope that helps plz excuse my demented spelling
  • egoplast
    egoplast Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I've used KBs on and off for several years. KBs are great in that they can be used to workout almost every muscle group
    The most fundamental exercise is the swing. It will give you a great cardio workout.
    The most important aspect is to always keep proper form. If you get sloppy while using KBs you can really throw something outta whack.

If you need ideas for KB exercises, just search Youtube. Pavel and Steve Maxwell is a good sources for technique and ideas.
  • SunLovin1
    SunLovin1 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I've heard the same thing and I bought 1....haven't done anything with it since...Look forward to seeing responses.

Me too! Gonna follow the DVD that came with it this weekend.
  • udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I have been using Kettle Bells since January. Need to get back at it - Spring Break has messed up my routine. I love the Kettle Worx. It is an awesome way to get a total body workout. When I do cardio, abs, or resistance with Kettle Worx I feel like I have really used my entire body. LOVE LOVE LOVE it!
  • wingchunrick
    wingchunrick Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, I have got all the traditional weights etc but want to try this as a different training day for when I hit plateaus. Definitlely going to invest in one.
  • idream2bgwen
    idream2bgwen Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I have been doing kettlebells for about three weeks. And I LOVE IT! They are addicting as all get out. I go to a class at a studio here. I don't know if I would trust myself to get my body alignment right, because like a previous poster wrote you can really screw your body up if you aren't lined up right. Good luck and I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.
    :bigsmile:
  • Boomerof51
    Boomerof51 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Love my kettlebell workout!!! I had never found a workout that I looked forward to until the kettlebells. Great cardio that works your entire body. And they don't take the nearly the square footage that total gyms and such equipment require!
  • wingchunrick
    Options
    Whats the best weight for a guy to use? I'm fit and supple enough but wouldnt want to get injured. I already do squats and deadlifts with weights so see this as a real alternative, plus a great cardio workout.
  • kikix5
    kikix5 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I love kettlebells, did them last year and throw them in now and again, I think I lost a lot doing using them. I found Art of Strength dvds to be great! http://www.artofstrength.com/ There is one other one that I use and its called extreme kettlebell, Keith Weber. both are really fun and good!
  • egoplast
    egoplast Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Men typically start with 35lb (45lb Max ). Problem is that you will progress quickly and need to upgrade from the 35. My suggestion is to find a trainer in the area or a clinic that will help you learn the proper posture and form and give you a chance to try a couple of weights to see which one is right for you.
  • tlkoehl
    tlkoehl Posts: 27
    Options
    "sculpting with Kettlebells" is an excellent book that includes workout programs of 3 different levels, beginners, intermediate, experienced. I know it is geared to woman but is very excellent!!!
  • sarahs440
    sarahs440 Posts: 405
    Options
    I am addicted to my kettlebell. No joke. I LOVE the kettlebell workout. You burn a ton of calories in a short amount of time, and it is just fun. I am now on level two of Jillian Michaels Shred It with Weights, and although there are two moves that I have to substitute with diving swings (due to knee problems), I get an amazing workout. I would highly recommend them to everyone!!!
  • ajrpotter
    Options
    proper form is key with kettlebell exercises, especially when moving up into the heavier weights. once you start with bad form, you will keep that bad form and can potentially hurt yourself very badly. so defo invest in someone teaching you or maybe get some dvds

with that said.. there are so many different exercises you can with the kettlebell, its an amazing tool, you can do kettlebell swings, double or single handed, snatches, clean & press, kettlebell throws (if your outside!), turkish get ups,etc...

i wouldnt even bother with dumbells if you have kettlebells!
  • karenpinkchick
    Options
    Kettlebell bootcamp DVDs fab. It's all go 45 minutes with a kettlebell. Mine weighs 6kg n I can lift lots in body pump but struggle with that in the DVD....
  • dawn2154
    dawn2154 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I workout with kettlebells twice a week i have be doing so for a few months they are fab love it soo much they strengthen ur core sooooo well .
  • wingchunrick
    Options
    Well I bought a 24kg kettlebell and what a workout. It made my heart race like no other workout and my back and core is still burning. I did wall squats first as that aligns your back properly and they are so much harder than nornal squats Would definitely recommemd these for anyone wanting an alterative to traditional weights. Got mine for £30 off ebay. Bargain....
  • reallivefitness
    Options
    Well I bought a 24kg kettlebell and what a workout. It made my heart race like no other workout and my back and core is still burning. I did wall squats first as that aligns your back properly and they are so much harder than nornal squats Would definitely recommemd these for anyone wanting an alterative to traditional weights. Got mine for £30 off ebay. Bargain....

Wow! 24 kg is pretty heavy! I just started working with a 10 lb one and I felt like a sissy for starting with one so light, but when I was doing my tricep presses yesterday I felt pretty close to failure on my last reps, so I was like, ok, I guess I do have a little ways to go to build up strength. Glad it's working out for you. :-)