Running help!!!

Options
Hey everyone! So I am running a 5k on Sunday. I am having trouble with staying on track. Yesterday I did 2 miles in 19 minutes that was the fastest I have run since I started nearly 4 weeks ago. This is huge and I am proud of my accomplishment and I celebrate my victory! The problem is that I feel like I am having a hard time with my running. I just am not sure if I am doing it right. I have been having a hard time with my knee for the last few days and that really scares me. I ended up getting an ace knee brace for one of them for running and I feel like that helps durring the run but I am afraid that I am not doing it right. I fear that my technique isn't right. Do you have any sujestions? I just don't know what to do. Thanks
Katie

Replies

• fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    2 miles in 19 mins is great! Well done. If you are having knee pain you need to see a physiotherapist and a gait analyst to check you are running right and aren't putting any strain on your knees.
  • cjpanda1
    cjpanda1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    they have a what they call a t-band fo yur knee,i wore one until i built up the muscles in the knee, many runners i know have used them and some still does,i will use it occasionaly depending how long of a run i do,but for most the knee thing is comon,go to a running store they have this bands big 5 also has them to,im a avid runner and it worked very well for me,good luck in yur race.
  • kvr414
    kvr414 Posts: 111
    Options
    i'm a novice runner myself and I had/have similar concerns. I have a history of knee problems and running does make my knee pretty painful. I've been running for a few months, and I've worked up to running 4-5 miles at a time...but I only do it 3x a week. i NEED those rest days in between so my knees can recover.

About technique there really is no est technique unless you are going to be a runner to in 5Ks and things. Just find a technique that is comfortable for your body...and that will come with time. The more you run, the stronger you'll get. Breathing will become easier, and speed will come. Eventually you will find a comfortable running form that can carry you through! good luck!