Cleaning out the refrigerator

msproducer
msproducer Posts: 101 Member
edited September 25 in Food and Nutrition
I finally came to the conclusion that you can't eat everything your kids eat and loose weight. The pizza, fries, and wings will catch up with you, even with exercising. My son is upset that there will be none of those goodies in the house for awhile, but he'll just have to get over it! :)

Replies

• Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    It's good for the kids to start eating healthier now anyway and to learn pizza and fries only in moderation.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    instead of not having them for "a while" you need to make it permanent---they may not like it in the beginning, but they will be just fine. I had to do the same thing--and now the kid who I thought would not handle this very well, is so proud to be eating healthy now just like her mom and dad. They really do model our behavior.
  • Great work! There are also some great recipes that mimic those flavors they are used to using healthier ingredients! If tehy start complaining I would recommend giving them some of that but in moderation!
  • OR in the alternative since i wouldnt want to take away "kid friendly" foods i would make them more healthy, as i do in my house. i make homemade "fries", ie, baking cut up potatos and use a small amt of olive oil and spices. or a healthier pizza, wheat thin crust, reduced fat cheese, no pepperoni. my daughter likes a chicken bbq pizza wehre i grill up chicken breast cut up and mix low sodium pasta sauce with some bbq sauce and spread on bottom and use reduced fat cheese, put the chicekn on top and i use my side for red onions and red pepper flakes. things like that arent bad to include into your food rotation and they dont feel like theyre "missing out"

and besides, as they get older all the bday parties they'll be going to and cookouts during summertime? theyll be getting their fill of the craptastic food - just keep it in moderation.

oh, and ive cut out ALL soda in this house and she doesnt miss it at all and it's a special treat when we go out to eat and she gets a root beer or something.
  • msproducer
    msproducer Posts: 101 Member
    Thanks for your input everyone!
This discussion has been closed.