Goals / Calories

Options
When I signed up I said "0" exercise for my goals, I've been at this (Again) for about a week and have exercised 4 times this week. My question is should I change my goal to include exercise, I assume that would give me more calories a day to eat. Right now I am at 1200 calories/day, 1500 with exercise because I only burn 300 cal / half hour. I don't usually eat all 1500 calories I usually eat 1200. I want to do this right and don't want to stall my weight lose because I'm not eating enough, I am sure I am over thinking this but just wanted to see what you all thought. Thanks

Replies

• lisapickering
    Options
    I don't think you need to change your goal but you do need to eat some/all of your exercise calories back. I didn't really believe this but as I like to eat I have been eating probably 80% of my exercise calories back and I have consistently lost 1 lb per week!
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    You should eat your calories from exersise back! on days i know i'm going to the gym, i log my exersie in the morning , then have bigger meals those days!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficit

This is just a part of it! please read the link above

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle tone, and reducing fat. This means is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode)

Good luck on your journey
  • nancymmorris
    Options
    I was doing the same thing. Last week I changed my goals to show the actual exercise I was doing but it did not change my 1200 calories. I would change it. You don't want to go into starvation mode and stall your weight loss.:smile: