Do you ever exercise only to realize

Options
you have used the extra calories to eat something you might not have? I tend to do this quite a bit. I allowed myself a snack size drumstick (110 calories) because I had the calories. I don't go over my calories but I use my exercise calories kind of like a buffer. I trick myself into thinking I can eat more "snacks" or "treats" since I worked out. I want to stop but habits die hard. I love my popcorn too.

Has anyone ever been guilty of this?

Candie

Replies

• Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I'm guilty every day of this. My junk calories are usually more than my exercise calories. I have got to do better.
  • ladybug4233
    ladybug4233 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your honesty Amanda. I am so hard on myself and it is nice to know that I am not the only one.
  • tobitude
    tobitude Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I am guilty!!!
  • bugnbeansmom
    bugnbeansmom Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Yup and it got worse when I starting eating back my calories. I am trying to get back to the thought process that while I count every calorie, I need to make every calorie count!
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with a treat? Especially if you have the extra room from working out. Just because you are counting calories to lose weight doesn't mean you have to cut out all of your favorite snacks. You just can't have as many or as often. I say go ahead and enjoy that snack, if you have the space in your count to do so.
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Yes, yes, yes. I had an extra 200 calories yesterday and my mind kept wandering to the opened bag of Sour Cream and Cheddar chips in the cupboard. I'm not sure how I managed, but I didn't eat them. I busied myself with other things to take my mind off it. I eat on a schedule, so I guess I could swap out one of my healthy snacks for the chips, but then I'd be hungry before meal time and who knows what I'd get into then! Stay strong!
  • spankywife
    spankywife Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing and gained weight. Boo.
  • louiseei
    louiseei Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Or a nice glass of wine, use that for mine sometimes :drinker:
  • ladybug4233
    Options

It has been a long time and that sounds so nice.

C
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    **guilty**
  • ladybug4233
    Options
    Yes, yes, yes. I had an extra 200 calories yesterday and my mind kept wandering to the opened bag of Sour Cream and Cheddar chips in the cupboard. I'm not sure how I managed, but I didn't eat them. I busied myself with other things to take my mind off it. I eat on a schedule, so I guess I could swap out one of my healthy snacks for the chips, but then I'd be hungry before meal time and who knows what I'd get into then! Stay strong!

Good Job on the willpower!!!

Candie
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely guilty of this. In fact, knowing I'm going to eat some sort of take-out once a week is my motivation for going to the gym as often as I can. It's working so far but I'm anticipating that I may have to do more cutting back as I get closer to my goal.
  • MoonShadow_1au
    MoonShadow_1au Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I find myself the opposite. When I exercise I usually eat well (salads or just meal replacement protein shakes) with no cravings for anything else. If I do not exercise I find I want more fatty foods like Maccas (is that a 4 letter word here?).

Where I go wrong is when I get tired and eat to stay awake or when I am stressed (sorry to go off topic)
  • Dkp1611
    Dkp1611 Posts: 16
    Options
    I am also guilty of this... it's like when you find you have "extra" money & go shopping, then realize "Oh no, I should have saved that for later" This constant battle is just that, a battle, and war is never easy, some days we all lose.
  • teasha43
    teasha43 Posts: 101
    Options
    Calories are calories...of course, not all are as good for you as others. I think...YES, have the snack you have been really craving. If you really want it and think you have to have it, then do it. Better to do so in moderation, than depriving yourself until you binge. I don't deprive myself because I know it will bite me in the long run. I am guilty of a coffee addiction. Although the coffee itself aint so bad, the coffeemate is. (not just calorically but bc it is hydrogenated) I work around it in my day and try to use less....
  • Fattack
    Fattack Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Sometimes- this week I've been a bit naughter (PMT), but if I do it's usually something small - like a weekly creme egg, or the odd piece of fudge or 85% cocoa chocolate. In a way, it's helping me learn moderation - I *can* stop at the one piece.
  • WashingtonGrown
    Options
    Calories are calories...of course, not all are as good for you as others. I think...YES, have the snack you have been really craving. If you really want it and think you have to have it, then do it. Better to do so in moderation, than depriving yourself until you binge. I don't deprive myself because I know it will bite me in the long run. I am guilty of a coffee addiction. Although the coffee itself aint so bad, the coffeemate is. (not just calorically but bc it is hydrogenated) I work around it in my day and try to use less....

This is me too! I told myself if I am going to make a LIFE change I can't take away all the things I enjoy. I just eat less of them and not every day. I am also a coffee Junky, but more in the lines of Iced Lattes, or Mochas. I limit mine to 2 a week and I still a lower fat version of them. Now I just drink my coffee black with a little bit of stevia in it. I've successfully lost 16 lbs by allowing myself to have the things I enjoy....well other than Fast food. I refuse to eat it.
  • AmandaArnwine
    Options
    all the time :-)
  • pghfan
    pghfan Posts: 119
    Options
    That is the only way I would consider using them. I'm not hard core working out (maybe 45 minutes cardio 5 days/week and a little strength training 2-3 times/week) and I am always skeptical that my calorie counts and workout calories are not under and over estimated, respectively, so I use the exercise calories as a buffer. But I would use them for a treat, I think, just to shake things up a bit.
  • MereRae
    MereRae Posts: 39
    Options

I did this just last night.... ate a smaller dinner to compensate for the wine I was anticipating before bed. It was SO worth it!