Need some advice please!!

ladychi306
ladychi306 Posts: 273 Member
edited September 25 in Introduce Yourself
This Saturday I will be going to my Aunts 50th birthday party and it is a take in dinner. They will be providing the meat and we all have to bring a side. My question is...how do I count all my calories from the food I eat there? Or should it BEST, if I just took my food with me.

Thanks,

Replies

• kittyloo123
    kittyloo123 Posts: 300 Member
    I went to a party type thing last month. I tried to be fairly good, but when i got home to log in my calories, i almost croaked!! I square of the lasagne was like 800 calories, and i don't even think i added in the other pasta dishes i had a spoonful of.
    What you could do is bring a entree for yourself, and have salad and veg there. Maybe allow yourelf some extra calories for a SMALL dessert. Don't forget to bring your lo cal dressing though. The regular stuff will kill you with the calories. Be strong girlfriend.
  • sarahs440
    sarahs440 Posts: 405
    Just do the best you can, or don't record that day. Last weekend I took a break from entering my calories. I had a lot of family things going on and it just would have been tough. So I made the right choices, ate small portions, drank a ton of water, and hoped for the best. I just didn't want to stress about it. Good Luck!
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    I think bringing your own food would be a little tacky. Just make smart choices. You say the meat is provided...is it a BBQ? If so, eat a burger and have some salad. Done. If you must, eat before you go and don't eat anything while you're there.
  • If I were in this situation I would bring a healthy side and eat that along with 1 or 2 other things that are already there. Try to choose the healthiest you can and log it the best that you can. Part of learning to eat healthy is learning to function in these situations, it will be really good practice for you. Plus, if you are good and don't overdo it you will be so proud of yourself afterwards.
  • MrsWendyQ
    MrsWendyQ Posts: 125 Member
    I try and limit what I eat so I can better judge what it was I did eat. I try and make the best choices I can. Maybe make sure that what you take is healthy and eat lots of it? Those are the worst! It is miserable to sit and enter every little morsel! I just try and fill up on veggie tray and simple things, easier logging and better for you! If all else fails, make a best guess of calories and just use quick add! I've had to do that more than once. Best of luck!
  • joaniegray
    joaniegray Posts: 88 Member
    I find i can't eat as much as i used to and I plan for days like this - they are called cheat days and usually as long as I go right back to healthy meals, they seem to help me lose weight. Fools my body. Good luck
  • cgcotten
    cgcotten Posts: 51
    If I was you I would eat what was there in moderation of course. You probably have been on a diet long enough to know
    what to eat and what not to eat. I would just go and enjoy myself !!!
  • ChunTingO
    ChunTingO Posts: 225 Member
    All i have been told is to portion everything, like you can have what you want but just write it down in a food journal. You can have a cup size of this and that and a meat portion the size of you palm and the thickness of a deck of cards. Portion Portion that is all i have been told.

I hope it helps cause we cant run from food its part of us but we can control the amount we take in.

You can do it!!!
  • ybba12490
    ybba12490 Posts: 252
    What you could do is bring a entree for yourself, and have salad and veg there.

agree. you could eat a small portion of the meat they will be serving (hopefully some grilled chicken or fish) and then bring a side and some low cal drinks for yourself. I would suggest a salad or some unsalted chips and guacamole or salsa. For dessert I usually have a piece of dark chocolate (it has to have 60% or more cacao) its really tasty and satisfies my sweet tooth :) good luck, stay strong!
  • udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    I went to a dinner last month kind of along this same format. My husband's family are not the best eaters, and they don't understand why I choose to eat and exercise. I did call and offer to bring something, they gladly accepted, and my whole wheat pasta salad with tomatoes, zucchini, and broccoli was a hit! It had more veggies than pasta, but everyone raved and I still got to eat well. Felt good! Now they understand a little more.
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Just take smaller portions of the things you like and then keep track so you can log estimates when you get home.
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    In some ways Andrea this is a really fabulous opportunity for you. Since what we all are doing here is making an effort to change a lifestyle, then here you go! Family gatherings are so important.

I'd do much lie the others suggested, eat the leanest protein choice avalable and really learn to eyeball the portion size.....stay away from any casserole dishes, choose the simplest cleanest veggie chices. Stay away from dips and sauces. Desert - have a small portion and thoroughly enjoy it>

And, just know that everyone who loves you wants to see you succeed.

:flowerforyou:
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Ejoy the day , don't go mad but make sensable choices!life is for living and time with family is important!
  • Sigra
    Sigra Posts: 374 Member
    I'd say look at portions of what you're eating instead of worrying about calories. Aunt's b-days don't come around every day! - I'd suggest your best :) If you feel like you might go over, get a good idea of what types of foods might be there and get an average calorie amount that you may eat.

After that just work those calories off!
  • proverbs31chick
    proverbs31chick Posts: 485 Member
    Also I have a cheat meal once a week, so if you have been doing really well the other days, then you can have a little portion of what they have, otherwise bring a healthy vegetable and eat lean meats if they have it.
  • Just enjoy yourself and eat in moderation. Like one said above, if there's meat and salad...eat what you know is an appropriate portion. If you overdo it some, make sure and get in plenty of dancing - it will burn a lot of the calories you may have indulged in. Most of all, don't feel trapped - like, "Oh my God, how am I going to face this situation?" Eating healthy means just that, "eating healthy." My two cents...
  • jules0516
    jules0516 Posts: 158
    We just had a Church potluck, I took my salad with me and only ate a little bit of the meat there. We're down south- so they like to bring really salty fried chicken. I got a few comments from extended family members about my salad and not eating "their" food- but in the end its about me and making the right decisions. I don't think it'd be rude to take your own salad, atleast, as a filler. Good Luck!
  • Truthfully, I have a huge get together every month. I just stick with the foods that I know are healthest (salads, fruit and veggie plates) and nosh on them before we all sit down to eat. That way I don't over eat the unhealthy foods. Also, I drink like 6-10 bottles of water.
  • jokhazen
    jokhazen Posts: 10 Member
    I wouldn't suggest bringing your own food. Just watch your portion sizes and estimate. I'm not sure what kind of meat they're serving but it's not too hard to look up the calories for a palm size of meat and a healthy amount of side items. :) Just watch portion sizes and enjoy. :)
  • I think that it is best to give yourself a break now and then .What is the old saying" All work makes Jack a very dull boy".With this is mind if we take a day off now and then, we are more likely to not "cheat" on our diets. From personal experience I give myself a day off every two weeks , however on that day off do not go crazy ... just be moderate . It is your reward for making it this far:)
This discussion has been closed.