Ladies I need some Advice

Marrissam
Marrissam Posts: 12
edited September 25 in Fitness and Exercise
I was diagnosed with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome some years back which makes my periods come whenever they want pretty much.

They come maybe 0nce every two months or comething like that but when they do, they stay longer than a normal period. I get really bad cramps and a really heavy flow.

Whenever this happens I tend to not do as much physical activies (exercise) and thats usually how I gain my weight back. I need to know what you ladies do during your period to keep you active, how to decrease the pain and discomfort caused by my period and maybe so easy to do exercises that are still effective and burn calories.

Oh and I didnt mention the cravings.... thats a whole other problem.

Please Help

Replies

• HLRoberts1987
    HLRoberts1987 Posts: 139 Member
    I was diagnosed with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome some years back which makes my periods come whenever they want pretty much.

They come maybe 0nce every two months or comething like that but when they do, they stay longer than a normal period. I get really bad cramps and a really heavy flow.

Whenever this happens I tend to not do as much physical activies (exercise) and thats usually how I gain my weight back. I need to know what you ladies do during your period to keep you active, how to decrease the pain and discomfort caused by my period and maybe so easy to do exercises that are still effective and burn calories.

Oh and I didnt mention the cravings.... thats a whole other problem.

Please Help

Mine are not terrible but whenever I am on my perior I usually use those sticky heating pads (they are temporary and last abou t8 hours) those def help my cramps. I dont like doint anything ab related when I am cramping (only then though) and so I usually will either just walk or do something right. The cravings are the hardest part. I think the best way for you not to gain weight while on your period is to try your hardest to control your cravings and eat right during those times. It will help with not gaining so much weight. BUT whenever I am on I usually gain about two pounds. I am guessing thats due to bloating and everything else going on inside my body..hope this helps and best of luck to you :o)
  • JennDoesKeto
    JennDoesKeto Posts: 244 Member
    what does your dr have you doing for the PCOS? mine kept giving me provera every 6 months as i never got a cycle. now almost 10 years later im back on birth control and it has definitly helped the cravings, the pain...everything.

movement is essential when you are cramping...walking is a great low impact way to help get exercise and should help with cramping.

for the cravings..keep sugar free gum with you. and drink plenty of water..maybe have a cup of herbal tea.

hope this stuff helps you! good luck!
  • AngiMoss
    AngiMoss Posts: 77
    I feel your pain.
    Honestly, when it's that time of the month, I just have to force myself to get in some cardio. It's always a struggle to get up & get moving, but once it's over, I always feel better. Exercise helps with cramps. Unfortunately, it's just the last thing you feel like doing at that time though. Once I'm done, I take a warm bath and go to bed early. I'm always so tried when it's period time.
    Start of slow....maybe just take a nice long walk. You don't have to do anything strenuous, just get moving.
    Listen to your body though. I once thought a pilates class would be good (slow stretching movements) and my cyst pain got so bad that I had to get up & leave about 15 minutes in.
    I'm honestly finding that the more exercise I get & healthier I eat, the easier it seems. Take care of yourself. And it wouldn't hurt to check with your doctor about these things. Mention what your goals (as far as diet & exercise go) and see what they say....they might have some important input.

As for the cravings, I seriously wish I knew what to tell you! I always want sweets, so I try to stick to things like jell-o, popsicles, etc.
  • tammyquinnlmt
    tammyquinnlmt Posts: 680 Member
    I have PCOS, and with a good healthy low carb diet, and regular excercise my periods come regularly, and are not nearly as painful. Even if I am cramping badly, I make myself go walking...it really helps. Plus a healthy dose of Midol! LOL. I've had it since I was 18 and am 37 now. I have always noticed that once I cut out bad carbs though things get much, much better!
  • Marrissam
    what does your dr have you doing for the PCOS? mine kept giving me provera every 6 months as i never got a cycle. now almost 10 years later im back on birth control and it has definitly helped the cravings, the pain...everything.

movement is essential when you are cramping...walking is a great low impact way to help get exercise and should help with cramping.

for the cravings..keep sugar free gum with you. and drink plenty of water..maybe have a cup of herbal tea.

hope this stuff helps you! good luck!

As of right now, I don't have any insurance so I'm not on BC anymore. It did help a lot when I was on it but I don't know if I can get any without a perscription.
  • tammyquinnlmt
    Go to the health department. They should give it to you free.
  • Marrissam
    I think I can push myself to do some exercise but then it causes a heavier flow. It's already heavy by itself.... I have to where pads and tampons at the same time and sometimes only an hour goes by before I have to change it. My sister says I should use adult diapers but I can't imagine exercising in one of those... lol. I guess it wouldn't hurt to try.
  • Marrissam
    Go to the health department. They should give it to you free.

i will look into that... Thanks
  • tammyquinnlmt
    I think I can push myself to do some exercise but then it causes a heavier flow. It's already heavy by itself.... I have to where pads and tampons at the same time and sometimes only an hour goes by before I have to change it. My sister says I should use adult diapers but I can't imagine exercising in one of those... lol. I guess it wouldn't hurt to try.

I have that problem from time to time too. Super annoying. But with 2 1/2 months of watching every bite I take mine this month was nice and normal...just like it was when I was in high school. 3 days...it was over. There is a diet book called the PCOS diet. I really got a lot from it...especially controlling sugar and carb info. Basically, the guidelines on MFP are really close to what is recommended. Like I said...it helps me tremendously. I just had to play around with alternate carbs. Friend me if you want :)
This discussion has been closed.