Running questions

Options
I'm new to running, and have a few questions for runners. How you set goals for yourself to improve? Do you focus on improving your time/speed, or your distance/endurance?

When I first ran, it took me 30 minutes to go a 2-mile loop near my house. My goal for this year between now and the end of October is to be able to run 5 miles without stopping (I don't care how fast). I like the thrill of doing my starter 2-mile route a little faster over time too though. I did it in 26 minutes today, and wonder how fast I might get as I keep going. Right now, I usually run 2x/week, and as it gets warmer, I'm going to try to increase that to 3x/week and eventually 4x/week, mixing in longer runs as I feel stronger too, so that I can reach my 5 mile goal.

I could really use help setting a speed goal too. Right now, I think I'll be excited when I can do 2 miles in 24 min. (5 mph), but I don't know how long that will take. Also, over 7 months, what do you think might be a good "speed" goal?

Thanks in advance for any help with these questions, and I'm interested to hear what other runners' goals are, and how you choose your goals.

Replies

• chrisallcock
    Options
    try interval training, its really good for fat loss :)
  • sarahs440
    sarahs440 Posts: 405
    Options
    bump. i am also interested!
  • Katybun3
    Katybun3 Posts: 172
    Options
    You should try the C25k program. There are threads on it in the forum. It is an excellent running program!
  • Katybun3
    Katybun3 Posts: 172
    Options
    You should try the C25k program. There are threads on it in the forum. It is an excellent running program!
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I bet that you will improve faster than you think.

My personal experience is that the difference between your improvement levels in running is usually little things that get compounded over the length of the run like posture, proper breather, pace control ect.

These are all things that will start to come out as you go through the normal learning curve, much like your time improvement that you've already experienced.
  • BriannaSkye
    BriannaSkye Posts: 135
    Options
    Im doing the couck to 5K, and they recommended not worrying about the pace but rather building your endurance. Once you have mastered that then try pushing yourself a little faster. Im in the same vote I dont care if it takes hours I want to run a 5k lol. Im doing a very slow jog 4-4.5 and think ill stay there for another few weeks and then maybe up my speed a little
  • nikkicarter13
    nikkicarter13 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    WooHoo! Go sox! (had to get that out of the way first) :)

When I first started running, I used to mix up what kind of runs I did. I did some where I just ran, didn't care about time or speed, but just to increase my endurance to be able to run an entire distance without stopping to walk. I also did some interval training (mostly on the treadmill to control speed). My current intervals are 0.25 miles at a fast speed of 6.5-7.0 and 1-2 minutes at a walking pace of about 4.0. Right now I am training for several races and these kinds of runs are on my training plan so I still do them. I think my biggest thing was just to keep up with running, do it consistantly and over the past 2 years I have been running, I have seen dramatic improvments in myself. So stick with it and keep on posting!

Good luck!
  • hdchic78
    hdchic78 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I would focus primarily on either A) speed, or B) distance -- focusing on both at the same time will only lead to burn-out as you get "depressed" about not meeting your goals......I think for a beginner runner, focusing on speed is a better choice.......Pick a steady distance that you feel comfy with (like your 2 mile loop) and set out to run it at a steady pace one day this week, then on your other day -- run HARD for 1 minute straight, then walk for 1 minute -- this will be your speed interval training, helping your leg muscles learn how to fire faster....when you move up to 3x a week, do a "steady run/fun run" one day a week (I go "wireless" for these and just run for fun, to keep me in love with running -- I don't care how fast or far I go on these days) on 1 day, do a tempo run (where you aim to run that 2 mile loop in 29 minutes (decrease the time by 30 seconds a week) and on the 3rd day, do your speed intervals........just my advice. Good luck, and welcome to the addicting world of running ;-)
  • hdchic78
    hdchic78 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I would focs primarily on either A) speed, or B) distance -- focusing on both at the same time will only lead to burn-out as you get "depressed" about not meeting your goals......I think for a beginner runner, focusing on speed is a better choice.......Pick a steady distance that you feel comfy with (like your 2 mile loop) and set out to run it at a steady pace one day this week, then on your other day -- run HARD for 1 minute straight, then walk for 1 minute -- this will be your speed interval training, helping your leg muscles learn how to fire faster....when you move up to 3x a week, do a "steady run/fun run" one day a week (I go "wireless" for these and just run for fun, to keep me in love with running -- I don't care how fast or far I go on these days) on 1 day, do a tempo run (where you aim to run that 2 mile loop in 29 minutes (decrease the time by 30 seconds a week) and on the 3rd day, do your speed intervals........just my advice. Good luck, and welcome to the addicting world of running ;-)
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Your best bet is to start with improving your endurance (so either how far you run or how long) and then try to improve your speed. Typically, speed work isn't really pushed until you can run upwards of 8 miles because a lot of effective interval training requires 1/4-1 mile sprints, so the endurance is essential. That being said, if you mix in one or two shorter runs during your training (so run your 2+ miles two days a week, and then two days a week run half of that), you can work on pushing yourself to be faster on those shorter runs. Over time, that will increase your distance runs. As far as your current speed goes, you should be running at a pace that allows you to carry a conversation. Trust me, this sometimes means talking to yourself while you're running down the road, but it'll help. I started off at about 5.0 mph and by keeping myself slow and steady I'm not averaging about 5.3 mph. The BEST thing you can do for running is to start slow, the slower you start the faster you eventually run. HalHigdon.com has some great tips and training programs as well! Oh... and sign up for a race! Nothing will motivate you more!!
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options

Do you mean to alternate walking & running/jogging during each session, or something else? Right now, I like running the 2 miles without stopping (or walking), and I want to be able to run further. I did a 3 mile path Sunday, and had to stop & walk for about 1/2 mile because there was a very steep hill.

And although I am running to boost my weight-loss, I want some non-scale goals too, for 2 reasons: (1) for when the scale's not moving, so that I have another way to measure my fitness progress, and (2) for when I reach goal and maintain, so that I can keep reaching for new goals even when I don't need the scale to move anymore.
  • nlfrancis
    nlfrancis Posts: 35
    Options
    When I first started running my goal was to make it to the end of the block without a heart attack! I can now run two miles in 17:30 - faster if I motivate myself - and I did it with a simple run/walk routine. You run until you feel like you can't run anymore, and then walk until your heart rate comes down, and then you run again. Once you do this for a couple of weeks you will find that you will be able to go longer between your walk sections and before you know it you will be running the whole two miles.

I like to run for distance so I run at about a 9:30 pace, except for my long run days - anything over 6 miles - at about a 10 min mile pace. If you want to increase your speed, at least two days a week do interval training - run as fast and as hard as you can for 30 seconds, then walk for 60 seconds. Do this for a total of about two miles. As the 30/60 combo becomes easier, increase your interval time to sprinting for 60 seconds and walking for 120 seconds. When I do my intervals I sprint for 30 to 45 seconds, and then jog for a min.

If you want some really good articles, try going to runnersworld.com - they have a lot of great advice for new runners.

Good luck and stick with it - running is the greatest thing :-)
  • Kristi3619
    Options
    I love running!!! I started in January and averaged a 12 minute mile, I am now running a mile in about 9 or 9 1/2!! I run 4 days a week with a group that was started in the neighborhood. We are great motivation for each other and we go to 5k and 10k's together and praise about our accomplishments.
    I can typically shave a minute or two off my prior time each week. I am up to running 8 miles. Its important to do interval training (endurance and burns more fat), tempo (long straight distance, help keep a pace), and hill training (helps with the butt toning).
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I don't know that you can train for speed without training for endurance. When you are a runner, your goals evolve and are uniquely tied to you.

Needless to say, when I first started running, it was with the fundraising group Team Diabetes. We were aiming to run\walk a marathon. So our goal was to finish. After the marathon, my coach John, told me that now I have a new goal. That goal was to improve my time for the next race.

Fast forward to today...I've never been particularly fast...so I have a variety of goals.

For a 5K (3miles) I want to beat 30 minutes.

For a 10K (6miles) I want to break an hour.

For a half marathon (13.1 miles) I want to break 2 hours and 15.

And when I am done with those... I'll set new goals. (i.e. my 5K goal will become 29 minutes, or 28 minutes etc)

The question is on you... where do YOU want to take this.

Proper training should embrace both speed and distance.
  • barbacasec
    barbacasec Posts: 106
    Options
    First off - congrats on taking the leap into running!!

Definatley try the C25k plan - coolrunnings.com has a good one...(it helps build up your endurance). I started with that and now am doing the Bridge to 10k!!
    When I started the C25k I could barely run 1 min- now 6mths and 3 5k's later I am able to run the entire 3.1 miles in 30 mins 24 secs! so the plan works if you stick with it!!! and your time will speed up with out you even realizing it....

Yes definately do interval training- I only do intervals once a week.... speed one week and hills the next... just to change it up a bit and to challenge myself... then I do about 2 short runs (3 miles each ) a week and then 1 longer one on Sat or Sun I am up to 6 miles!!! soooo close to my 10k goal... I dont run the 10k as fast as the 5k but I will get there...

It is all about knowing how hard to push yourself without over doing it..... and you should only up your distance a little each week....so if your goal is 5 k and you are already at 2 miles... only up your distance a little each week... like 2.2, 2.4,2.6,2.8 etc.....

this is just how it worked for me.... not a trainer or anything... just wanted to give you some ideas!!

oh yah and make sure you have GOOD SNEAKERS!!! makes all the difference!!

Good Luck on reaching your goal!!!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Generally, running 2 times a week will maintain your current fitness level, but will not improve it. In my experience, the best plan is four or five times a week. As a new runner, if you increase your running like that you will improve no matter what kind of running you do.
  • karensoxfan
    Options
    Generally, running 2 times a week will maintain your current fitness level, but will not improve it. In my experience, the best plan is four or five times a week. As a new runner, if you increase your running like that you will improve no matter what kind of running you do.

Thanks. I figure 2x/week to start is better than 0, and since Boston weather's so cold still (low 30's when I went out this morning), I'd bump up to 3x/week when the weather starts staying above 40 degrees. We're also expecting 6-12 inches of snow later this week, which I hope melts fast, since I don't have access to a treadmill.
  • chrisallcock
    Options

Do you mean to alternate walking & running/jogging during each session, or something else? Right now, I like running the 2 miles without stopping (or walking), and I want to be able to run further. I did a 3 mile path Sunday, and had to stop & walk for about 1/2 mile because there was a very steep hill.

And although I am running to boost my weight-loss, I want some non-scale goals too, for 2 reasons: (1) for when the scale's not moving, so that I have another way to measure my fitness progress, and (2) for when I reach goal and maintain, so that I can keep reaching for new goals even when I don't need the scale to move anymore.

what i tend to do is when out running i will pick sumthing i can see in the not too far distance and speed up to a comfortable sprint til i reach the object in question, then slow it down to a steady jog again, i repeat this many times through out my running session :)
  • amcmillan730
    amcmillan730 Posts: 591 Member
    Options

Thanks. I figure 2x/week to start is better than 0, and since Boston weather's so cold still (low 30's when I went out this morning), I'd bump up to 3x/week when the weather starts staying above 40 degrees. We're also expecting 6-12 inches of snow later this week, which I hope melts fast, since I don't have access to a treadmill.

Curious to see everyone's answer to this as well... as far as this Boston weather... SNOW NEEDS TO STOP!!! It's almost april... you'd think it'd be warmer. I found a great loop outside near my apartment... but I can't do it when it's too cold :(
  • karensoxfan
    Options
    AMEN that the snow needs to stop! Right now, my threshold for whether I'll run (outside) or not is whether it's above freezing or not. I think I ran once in 31 degrees with gloves, but I won't exercise outdoors if the weather's in the 20's (or colder) or if there's snow/ice on the ground. It's not worth risking injury.