High Interval Intensity Training (HIIT)

Options
Wakx
Wakx Posts: 105 Member
Hello all,

HIIT is often praised for its virtues as calorie trasher. Yet, I can't find it in MFP's exercise database. But that is also hard because of the huge variation of intensity of the exercise. That's the point of HIIT, and what you burn doing it is just too different for different people I guess.

I haven't' come across HIIT training schemes that make a lot of sense to me. Tonight, however, I spontaneously developed one myself that one could call the Pyramid HIIT:

2 minutes @ 14 km/hr
5.5 km/hr until heart rate drops below 120 bpm
1.5 minute @ 15 km/.hr
1 minute @ 16 km/hr
45 secs @ 17 km/hr (that was TOUGH)
and back down again, and added:
3 minutes @ 13 km/hr
rest
4 minutes @ 12 km/hr

Agreed, this is pretty intense but it was doable for me.

The greatest irritation was the tredmill, which has these slow touch buttons that respond poorly and slowly. BELIEVE ME, if you're going 17km/hr for 45 seconds, you want to go back down to 5.5 km/hr FAST!! I felt I was running after that button hoping it will slow down! hahaha

I've once used a tredmill that had push/pull handles: PERFECT!

Of course, the best HIIT is not on the tredmill, but all those things that your PT taught you to use, such as medicine balls. I try to stay away from those. They are really hard work haha.

Replies

• Jillk1023
    Jillk1023 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    bump.... thanks for the info,
  • michelle4271
    michelle4271 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    That did appear to be quite the workout,,, I was under the impression that the intensity (resistance) is supose to change too?

I have a one min interval program on the eliptical I use at level 12 or 15, the lighter resistance I use to "recover" and the high resistance to "sprint" through

I also have a two min interval program on a precor machine, doing the same thing low resistance to recover and high to sprint.

both programs I set for either 30 or 45 mins (usually the 30 min for the level 15 haha, as half way through I can barely keep it at 3.4mph)
  • Jillk1023
    Jillk1023 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    how do u log HIIT on MFP????
  • Wakx
    Wakx Posts: 105 Member
    Options

Yep, that was what I wanted to find out. I don't think MFP can come up with an algorytm that is reliable. I just kept track of total calories lost.
  • BryanAir
    BryanAir Posts: 434
    Options

Yep, that was what I wanted to find out. I don't think MFP can come up with an algorytm that is reliable. I just kept track of total calories lost.

For now I think you'll just have to create your own exercise entry for it. I've done that for a few types of exercise I do and it remembers them for the future.
  • eellis2000
    eellis2000 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

HIIT is often praised for its virtues as calorie trasher. Yet, I can't find it in MFP's exercise database. But that is also hard because of the huge variation of intensity of the exercise. That's the point of HIIT, and what you burn doing it is just too different for different people I guess.

I haven't' come across HIIT training schemes that make a lot of sense to me. Tonight, however, I spontaneously developed one myself that one could call the Pyramid HIIT:

2 minutes @ 14 km/hr
    1.5 minute @ 15 km/.hr
    1 minute @ 16 km/hr
    45 secs @ 17 km/hr (that was TOUGH)
    and back down again, and added:
    3 minutes @ 13 km/hr
    rest
    4 minutes @ 12 km/hr

Agreed, this is pretty intense but it was doable for me.

The greatest irritation was the tredmill, which has these slow touch buttons that respond poorly and slowly. BELIEVE ME, if you're going 17km/hr for 45 seconds, you want to go back down to 5.5 km/hr FAST!! I felt I was running after that button hoping it will slow down! hahaha

I've once used a tredmill that had push/pull handles: PERFECT!

Of course, the best HIIT is not on the tredmill, but all those things that your PT taught you to use, such as medicine balls. I try to stay away from those. They are really hard work haha.

this makes me burn cals just thinkin about it lol