How to measure your own meals without a recipe !

Options
2»

Replies

• Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    That's perfect yup, doing it this way really made me realize how much I was overeating before, my fav dish in cooler weather when I'm not in the mood for stew is goulash and I'd have a big plate, turns out that big plate was something like 4 servings and I'd go for seconds.

So yes, pie is perfect example, just like you said if you can handle 1/4 of pie calorie wise cut it into 4 pieces... if you can handle only 1/8 then cut it into 8 pieces.. it'll work well.
  • taletreader
    taletreader Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    ok I think i have it now...so for example we will say a pie....i add all my ingredients,then it will show me the totals...so if i can handle a piece of pie that is worth 400 calories,for 4 people etc...then i only cut the pie into 4 pieces right ? hmmm I m catching on to it i think somehow lol .Thanks so much for ur help !

Yeah, that's one way to do it. There are a bunch.

Say you have something of a defined size like a pie or a quiche. You add up the ingredients and get the calories for the entire thing. Then you can:

- Either go for a particular calorie-sized meal (say, you want a 400 cal lunch). So you divide the total by 400 which gives you the number of pieces you'd get out of it, and then cut accordingly. So this would tell you how big a portion-sized slice should be.
    - Or cut it in a defined number of slices, and then divide the total calories by the number of identical-sized slices (well, MFP does this for you).
    - Or weigh the entire thing and then define some round number as "1 portion". This doesn't have to be exactly what you'd *eat* as 1 portion! For example 100g or 4 oz or something that's easy for you to remember. Then you divide the weight of the whole through that (say the entire thing weighs 650g, and your "1 virtual protion" is 100g so you get 6.5 portions). And you enter that numer into MFP. And each time you eat a portion you weigh what you're serving yourself so you know how many virtual portions you've eaten (for example, you serve yourself 180g, so that's 1.8 portions).

I use the third method a lot also with things like stew or pasta sauce.