unidentified equipment at the gym, help please

Options
I just returned from the gym and while I was there I used this cardio machine that I can only describe as a stationary bike for your arms.. and not a row machine. I sat on my bum and pedalled my arms. I was trying to log the exercise but have no idea what it's called!! Any ideas or suggestions?!?

Replies

• Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    I know exactly which machine you mean just no idea what it is called.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Arm ergometer
  • Beachbean77
    Beachbean77 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Oh wow... thank you!!

mfp doesnt have that in the database lol... figures
  • Sumo813
    Sumo813 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Arm ergometer

That!

They're really for those who can't use bikes (possibly handicapped) or for those needing to do some sort of rehab. One of the things I want to eventually start working on is the rowing machine. :D Would love to see the burn I get from that.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Arm ergometer

That!

They're really for those who can't use bikes (possibly handicapped) or for those needing to do some sort of rehab. One of the things I want to eventually start working on is the rowing machine. :D Would love to see the burn I get from that.

I'm pretty sure one of your status posts listed rowing as one of the top calorie burning exercises, right? At least in a compound muscle working sense? If I had one at my disposal, I'd like to use one and verify the burn from it as well.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Arm ergometer

That!

I've actually used it in the past on the days I did lower body workouts using heavy weights. If it was my upper body day then I would use the bike instead. It allowed me to get a cardio session in after weights without fear of over training etc.

The great thing is very few people know about it or overlook it. As a result I never had to queue or wait to use it. Sweeeet.

No idea what kind of calorie burn you get from it though. I have never bothered tracking that variable in my training and concentrated more on distance & wattage.
  • nyctraveler
    nyctraveler Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Arm ergometer

That!

I rowed for a very long time and the erg can be beastly but I can't tell you how many times I see people do it COMPLETELY WRONG at the gym.

They are trying to go as fast as they can when the erg is all about how HARD you pull. You should be going at a steady stroke rate and monitor your split to be under 2 min (this is women's time). the harder you pull the lower your split will be (meaning the harder you are pulling boat and will get to destination faster)

Form is critical too - look at some youtube videos for correct form but you have to remember to bend knees only after you pass with your hands - hard to explain in writing lol