why chocolate milk?

JennsLosing
JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
edited September 25 in Fitness and Exercise
so ive seen many posts saying instead of wasting money on protien shakes to drink chocolate milk....but my question is why chocolate milk, why not reg ol milk? just curious...ive never seen a reason why, just to do it! lol

Replies

• Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    the answer is sugar, chocolate milk has more of it than plain milk, and that is what we want to give the body post workout as the glycogen receptors in our muscles are screaming for it, but the added plus is that it will pull that protein along with it.
  • bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    One of the best snacks for after a workout :) I had one last night after boxing! agreed...sugar and the protein
  • lemonadem
    lemonadem Posts: 398 Member
    I've always wondered as well!

But I'm definitely not complaining- I LOVE my post workout glass of ice-cold chocolate milk!

Thanks for posting the question!
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    thanks for that! is there a certain type i should get, or just plain ol nestle coco powder good? i gotta 3 yr old i have chocolate milk mix around this house constantly! lol
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    the answer is sugar, chocolate milk has more of it than plain milk, and that is what we want to give the body post workout as the glycogen receptors in our muscles are screaming for it, but the added plus is that it will pull that protein along with it.

Excellent answer. I just wanted to make an aside as well. Chocolate milk is excellent post workout, but I will say that I get 4-5 times the amount of protein for only about 1.5 times the calories if I drink a protein shake instead. There is a definite difference and I find protein shakes more calorie efficient, but again, chocolate milk is an excellent choice. :)
  • b_alanna
    b_alanna Posts: 15
    its yummy! lol no but its a filler =) plus all the vitamins. And it can be alot less calories then some shakes.
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    The thing is, after an intense workout your body needs to repair the "damage" you just did to your muscles. Protein works but takes long to digest. The current science suggest a high glycemic carb that is quickly absorbed by your muscles in a ratio of 4 grams of carbs to 1 gram of protein. Chocolate milk has that ratio. In a pinch its ok.

About an hour or so after your workout is when you need to get some goo dprotein into your system.
  • peanutrenee
    peanutrenee Posts: 179
    I have never heard of this but I now will deff do it.. I ususally struggle with not eating right after.. now this will be great. It will make me work out more.. lol I love chocolate milk, but i never get to have it.
  • Newfiedan
    The thing is, after an intense workout your body needs to repair the "damage" you just did to your muscles. Protein works but takes long to digest. The current science suggest a high glycemic carb that is quickly absorbed by your muscles in a ratio of 4 grams of carbs to 1 gram of protein. Chocolate milk has that ratio. In a pinch its ok.

About an hour or so after your workout is when you need to get some goo dprotein into your system.
    yep you bet this is why I follow it up about 15 mins later with a protein shake.
  • Mayor_West
    Mayor_West Posts: 246 Member

The protein in milk is approximately 20% Whey and 80% Casein. Whey is digested very quickly, meaning it can distribute the necessary Amino Acids to your muscles that need them to fully recover from the workout. Casein, on the other hand, is digested much more slowly, so muscles get a slower stream of aminos over a longer period of time.

Based on this, chocolate milk is a good choice for a post-workout mean, but Whey protein is a better one.
  • yyzdnl
    yyzdnl Posts: 127 Member
    Chocolate milk as recovery drink, here is a link to why.

http://www.ehow.com/about_5373755_drink-chocolate-milk-after-workout.html

American College of Sports Medicine recommends taking in a serving of carbohydrates within 30 minutes of a strenuous workout. Chocolate milk contains these carbohydrates and mainly in the form of sugar which is also critical to muscle recovery. Spiked insulin levels that result from the intake of sugar help force glucose into the muscles, which hastens muscle repair.

Cow's milk is comprised of roughly 80% casein protein and 20% whey protein. Tired muscles readily eat up the amino acids in whey protein while the casein protein is digested more slowly and remains available to your muscles for hours after your workout.
  • corpus_validum
    corpus_validum Posts: 292 Member

There's research out there that imply that the 1 hour post-workout window is overstated:
    http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_nutrition/the_top_10_post_workout_nutrition_myths

But YMMV, so if the choc milk is working for you...don't stop on the account of the article.
  • guhelocin
    guhelocin Posts: 11
    does the ready made chocolate milk count or should it be freshly made?
  • Newfiedan
    yes ready made works just go for the 1%
This discussion has been closed.