Advice for not snacking at night!

Options
Hey everyone! I'm new to MFP and I love it! I do awesome all day and workout regularly, but my problem is at night...some nights I take in 600 calories alone! I'm a hairstylist and work a lot of evenings..so when I come home I'm hungry and tired and I guess I look to food to 'unwind". I usually have 200 calories leftover so then I let myself have something...but then that turns into one more thing...and one more thing...and so on. Any tips for not eating at night?! Thanks :)

Replies

• Latinksmile
    Latinksmile Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I go through the same thing. I usually have 500 calories to go between the hours of 5-10pm and can dig into stuff i shouldn't... like chocolate. I can't wait to hear what people have to say!
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    the reason is a blood sugar dip at night, start looking for a means to fill it with good nutrition, this why I like later workouts, it curbs that snack need and I get to fill it with a choc milk and protein shake post workout.
  • Fairlyfamous
    Options
    I do the same thing. It's definitely hard to not eat right before bed. Maybe try drinking some tea? I find that usually fills me up. Or if you have to eat, try chocolate ricecakes, that way if you eat more than one it doesn't undo the whole day.
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    i usually try to chew gum and drink water...i figure that 5 calorie stick of gum is way better than 500 calorie of cheese cake or something lol
  • jenniefromtherock
    jenniefromtherock Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Eat your 200 calories and go to bed is my advise! I know some people need time to unwind before being able to go to sleep, but if you can get yourself to go to bed thats about the only thing I can think of. Thats what I do!
  • TiDinzeo
    TiDinzeo Posts: 309
    Options
    Try eating smaller meals and adding low calorie snacks in between. That way your blood sugar doesn't vary as much and you're less inclined to binge in the evening.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    My advice would be either to go for a high fiber/protein snack or, if you consistently eat the same number of calories when you get home, plan to have that many left at the end of the day (try to make them healthy calories though). :bigsmile:
  • melibea
    melibea Posts: 228
    Options
    I stuff myself with mixed veggies at dinner so I will be really full until bed time. Late night snacking was my main problem but not anymore!
  • fitinyoga14
    fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    There's no reason to avoid eating at a time that you feel hungry and tired. I would say your best bet is to leave room in your allowance for a meal, even if its a lighter one, and prepare yourself a meal when you get home at night. Place everything you plan to eat on a table and sit down to enjoy the meal. Concentrate on eating rather than going on the computer or watching t.v. Then you are more likely to feel full and you won't have to make any more trips back to the fridge. Make sure you choose filling foods rather than snacky-type foods and empty carbs.
  • diameterk
    Options
    Hi! The best thing for my midnight snack craving is sugar free dark chocolate pudding with lite cool whip. It fills me up because it is made with milk and I think it helps me to sleep. The cool whip is the best part, it masks the sugar free taste. It's a great way to fill up and a nice treat.

I make sure I eat lots of cucumbers with a bit of salt and apple cider vinegar also. The water helps to fill you up. Good Luck!
  • sglover14
    sglover14 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    blend a scoop of chocolate protein shake, a frozen banana, and some berries together - sweet and healthy!!
  • Jb8885
    Jb8885 Posts: 126
    Options
    i never heard of the cucumber thing im going to try that! Thanks
  • Jb8885
    Options
    haha yeah right! and now theyhave those "dessert" flavored gums lol...made for people like me i guess :)
  • lklein
    lklein Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    For late night snacking, I rely on fruits and veggies. This way you are at least getting something healthy, and if you need the sugar fix, fruit is a better option than chocolate. For my veggies, I either eat them plain or dip them in my home made hummus or in a little bit of light ranch dressing. If you are really craving something sweet try the frozen peanut butter cups that are posted on here; they are only about 55 calories- Here the recipe for you.

1- 8oz container of fat free cool whip
    3 tbsp of peanut butter
    chocolate syrup

mix together cool whip and peanut butter (don't over mix if using hand mixer). Divide in lined cup cake tin (12) and drizzle a little chocolate on top. Freeze. They should be ready to eat in a few hours. Enjoy!
  • farley4west
    Options
    Hi, I'm new to posting and myfitnesspal but not to my weight loss journey. I have lost 30.8 pounds since January 3, 2011. My personal trainer told me to eat a minimum of 6 times a day. At first I did not do this and did not do so well as I too would snack snack snack at night. However, I found that eatting small low cal snacks and/or meals every 2-3 hours means (for me at least) I'm not hungry at night. I even brake my meals up. So if I normally have a whole pita ham and salad sandwich with baked cheetos and fruit for lunch I now brake that meal up in to two to three eatting sessions. I don't know if this will work for everyone but it sure is working for me. Hope this will help some of you lose your cravings at night.
  • Jb8885
    Options
    The blood sugar dip makes since because I'm usually working till 9 and eat dinner around 5-6..so by the time I get home I'm of course hungry again but exhausted so I just grab easy stuff. Maybe I should eat a minie dinner at 4 and another mini one around 8?
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    I have learned about this stuff and yes it makes total sense, just prep for it with planning, to avoid that quick fix you go for.
  • Jb8885
    Options
    Thats a good idea Farley! Sometimes I sit and have a meal and then i feel sluggish or too full after. I'm going to try that! Thanks! And congrats on the weight loss!!!
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    haha yeah right! and now theyhave those "dessert" flavored gums lol...made for people like me i guess :)

The Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream one is the best... the others tend to get "tough" too quickly. *is using for smoking cessation instead of craving fulfilling*
  • Jb8885
    Options
    ummm those PB cups sound amazing lol...def trying that