Jogging tips?

Options
I have been exercising for years now and the thing i havent been able to do is jog/run. It seems like no matter what technique i try i feel like passing out after about 1 mile. One if my goals is to run a marathon but it seems i am not making any progress an its very depressing. Anyone have new techniques on stamina? Maybe breathing techniques or how to place ur arms or maybe even posture? Im desperate and any suggestions are appreciated! Thanks

Replies

• boomgaarden85
    Options
    You have to start out slow!! You should run as upright as possible, with your arms bent at a 90 degree angle and fingers relaxed. The more tense you are, the more energy you are using to not go faster/run longer. I usually recommend that people start with run/walk intervals. While you're running (this works best on a treadmill) vary your speed so your body gets used to what certain speeds feel like. This I think is called tempo running (but don't quote me on that).

Also, I always tell people on long runs (which I personally define as anything over 3 miles, but for a beginner, it could be 1 mile!) to run at a pace where you could hold a conversation without passing out. That will keep you going for your stamina, and then the speed will come! Hope this helped!
  • Bviera
    Bviera Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the Couch 2 5K program? http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

It builds you up slowly by alternating between running and walking over 9 weeks in different intervals. I'm on week 4 and I already notice my stamina increasing. It's also given me time to learn how to breathe and it's mentally easier because you have a set goal as opposed to just "let me see how far I can run" which can be more discouraging.
  • Leopardliz
    Leopardliz Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Great tips! I will definetily try.