Phenermine 37.5

Options
This will be my 5th day taking Phenermine 37.5. I have a lot of energy and feel GREAT, like I can concor the world. I have lost 4lbs so far while taking these. Was just wondering if anyone eles is taking them and what I can look foward to about a month down the road. Thanks and have a blessed day.

Replies

• melleyd
    melleyd Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Is this a prescription?
  • angieralkey
    angieralkey Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I took it a couple years ago and dropped 50 lbs in a matter of a couple months. It was not healthy weight loss though. I stopped taking it because my heart was always racing, my mind was in a fog, and it made me really anxious. Be very careful when taking this. It is in the amphetamine category and has alot of side effects. As soon as I stopped taking it I gained back the 50lbs plus some. Any questions feel free to message me!
  • queenofgracey
    Options
    Yes, I got it from my doctor last Friday. It works great thus far. Just didn't know what to expect later down the road.
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Wow you just started taking them and your dosage is that high?

Well you will lose weight. Unfortunately, your body will adjust to this and the pills won't be as affective in the long run.

I took them 13 years ago. I lost 40 lbs in 4 months but I started out on 15 mg for the first 3 months and was upped to 37.5 mg the 4th month (after only losing two lbs the 3rd month).

Once you stopped taking them and start eating regularly again, you will gain weight!
  • HolsDoinIt
    HolsDoinIt Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    my doc did prescribe them to me...i dont take them daily..just on mornings that i really need that boost or extra uumph..but they are very good and give you lots of energy..they also suppress my appetite so im not starving all the time. but they are very good to use..
  • Adriana36
    Options
    Thats so true I took those too and I gained all back.
  • seadog1
    seadog1 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Phentermine works by suppressing the appetite, and it may also increase the metabolism. It is chemically related to amphetamines,

I dont think its a good idea, people on speed lose weight too, but the price they pay is not worth it and the Phentemine is going to elevate your mood but you are toying with something that might make you in an ad****.

Try 3 days on a low carb diet, go into the goal section and use custom and move the carbs down to 35 percent, follow that and see how you feel in 3 days. When you first start on a diet you allways have a rapid weight loss in the first few days, its mostly fluids.
  • queenofgracey
    Options
    I'm thinking if I can learn to eat right and healthy while taken them, I will keep it up after I no longer take them. I really don't want to lose the weight just to put it back on. So on that note, I WILL learn to eat health and exercise daily. This is my goal and I hope to stick to it. I love all the support you get on this site. Thanks to everyone for hanging in there with me. Hope everyone has a blessed day. I will keep you posted on my weight loss while taking these also.
  • AmoreCouture
    AmoreCouture Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    After you are off them you will gain weight VERY EASILY, and fast. They make the weight come off fast, it will try to come back on fast. They are not healthy and are definitely a temporary fix.
    My Dr. prescribed them to me a couple years ago and I thought they were a miracle drug until I went off of them. I put on more weight than I started on. They make your body starve, so after you go off it's running sluggish.
    Oh, and you will crash and feel rough after you're off of them.
    I would not advise anyone to take them, as they are a waste of money for temporary results, and they will mess up your metabolism, so be careful. I know you're more than likely still going to take them, so just make sure you exercise and eat right. :)
  • mekol
    mekol Posts: 1
    Options
    I took it last year for a few months and lost about 40lbs. Then after I stopped taking it my weight stayed the same for a couple of months, then slowly crept back up. This was in part due to needing a course of steroids right before the holiday season... I was ravenous and before I knew it was eating huge portions again.
    Now I am on it again, under a different doctors supervision. One of the things that he told me and my roommate (we have our appointments together) was that you have to ween off of the medicine or your weight will bounce right back. It is supposed to be a 3 month process of gradually adjusting the dosage down so that your body doesn't freak out. I know someone else that went to this doctor and followed that method of weening off the meds... she has kept her weight off for about two years now.
    Your body does begin to adjust to the effects of the medicine and you will start feeling normal again. You lose the most weight the first month and then it slows down. Best of luck to you!
  • ashleye1208
    Options
    I lost 30 lbs in 3 months as well. My doctor told me to watch myself and make sure I eat because a lot of people end up eating an extremely low amount. I was prescribed because I was pre-diabetic and went off for a year and back on for 2 months.

You'll more than likely get used to them after a month. They do wonders though for those 3 months!!
  • Roxie65
    Roxie65 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I took it last year and ended up spending every weekend throwing up. I lost 8lbs but put it all back on when I stopped taking them. I tried it again this year taking it every other day but didn't lose any wt. so I stopped taking them.
  • mistyjackson
    Options
    I have always taken diet pills when trying to lose weight...(not these specific ones) like most people on here I gained it back eventually after I started taking it, but this time not only did I take the diet pills, but I changed the way I eat and the way I exercise. I have not gained the weight back yet and a matter of fact I am still losing...slowly, but surely. As long as you are not counting on these pills alone I think you will have good results. You just have to stick with the healthier life style when you quit taking the pills! Best of luck to you!
  • Cella30
    Cella30 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    My doctor prescribed them to me and I just started taking it last Tuesday. I didn't know anything about it so I did A LOT of research online trying to figure out what it was/how it worked, etc. So far my side effects are insomnia (benedryl has become my best friend), dizziness/euphoria, crazy body temperature issues (I'm freezing then I'm having a heat stroke) and dry mouth. Sadly I did not get the energy that a lot of people get - in fact, I probably feel more tired.

I think a lot of people have some strong opinions about this medicine. I am a long time binge eater and this medicine is amazing. I finally feel 100% in control of my eating. I used to come home from work and barely get my coat off before I started eating. Now I come home, work out, and take the time to make a healthy dinner. For me, Phen has become a tool to help me control my portions, my anxiety and given me the ability to take the time to make the right decision about what I'm about to eat. But be smart about it - it's tempting to not eat because you're not hungry (and I have NEVER had that problem!!!). Make a plan, but don't make it so unrealistic that you can't maintain it after you stop taking it.

I am trying a 1200 calorie clean diet (which I never could do before) but I think I'm going to bump it up. I am also working out about 4-6 times a week, between a 1/2 hour to an hour. These are things that I can still maintain after I stop taking the medication so I won't (hopefully) gain back what I lost. I'm recording everything that goes into my mouth and reading every food label. I'm also drinking TONS of water.

I tend to think that my doctor wouldn't suggest it if she didn't feel like it would help. I don't know what will happen after I get off of it, but I'm not taking for granted what this is doing. I finally feel like a normal person with a healthy food relationship. To the people that think that a pill is not the answer, I agree. I'm still doing all the hard work. But this is a tool, a push in the right direction, motivation for me. And that is exactly what I needed after feeling so out of control.

Good luck!
  • mamacremers
    mamacremers Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    This will be my 5th day taking Phenermine 37.5. I have a lot of energy and feel GREAT, like I can concor the world. I have lost 4lbs so far while taking these. Was just wondering if anyone eles is taking them and what I can look foward to about a month down the road. Thanks and have a blessed day.

I started taking it June 2010 and finished January 2011. I don't recommend taking it that long, 2-3 months on, month break, and then back on. After the third month, it don't work as well. I lost 15 pounds my first and second month. The 47 pound loss was all due to phen. After I went off, I took a weight loss break for a couple months and gained 6 back. Since starting back watching what I eat, I've taken off those 6 pounds again and hope to lose 18 more by June. Not sure if that will happen but i'm hoping. I'm still debating on asking my doc if I can go back on. I'm just overweight now, so i'm not technically a candidate, but i was once obese and want to get to a healthy weight so she may allow me to. I'm going to wait until after June though to see if I can do it myself and then I would be at my anniversary of starting, quite a big break from when I was taking it. Hopefully it's effective if I take a huge break.

Just watch out, there are a lot of haters of phen on MFP and if you need/want support, you can friend me. I can answer any questions to the best of my ability.

Oh and a month down the road, you'll probably still be losing decently, if you keep to a plan and stick to it. It might help to look at taking that pill like this: this pill is your HELPER, it is not a crutch! It is there so you can build healthy eating habits without starving and learn to keep those habits after you're off.
  • mamacremers
    Options
    I took it last year for a few months and lost about 40lbs. Then after I stopped taking it my weight stayed the same for a couple of months, then slowly crept back up. This was in part due to needing a course of steroids right before the holiday season... I was ravenous and before I knew it was eating huge portions again.
    Now I am on it again, under a different doctors supervision. One of the things that he told me and my roommate (we have our appointments together) was that you have to ween off of the medicine or your weight will bounce right back. It is supposed to be a 3 month process of gradually adjusting the dosage down so that your body doesn't freak out. I know someone else that went to this doctor and followed that method of weening off the meds... she has kept her weight off for about two years now.
    Your body does begin to adjust to the effects of the medicine and you will start feeling normal again. You lose the most weight the first month and then it slows down. Best of luck to you!
    '

I knew there was a method to my madness. I thought I had to wean myself too, my doc said I didn't have to and I did anyway. It probably helped me. What did you do to wean yourself?
  • Jenyfur1
    Jenyfur1 Posts: 361
    Options
    I am finishing up my third month. I lost about 17 lbs pretty quick. I joined MFP and have lost 6 more. The best thing to do is have a plan and stick to it. My sister also took it. She is not an exerciser and she probably eats too little, but she is still losing weight. I have hit a wall and have not really had any loss. I have been exercising a lot (unitl this week) and maybe not eating enough... I totally agree that you get used to it. You can just quit taking it with no side effects that I have noticed. I keep journaling everything, and that keeps me in line.
    Good luck! You can friend me as well to let me know about your progress.

To Add and agree: this is a tool, not a magic bullet. It helps bingers make better decisions. After a while, I think that it wears off, but is not as noticeable because you have started your plan, MFP, and are making better choices. It helps to get you in the"ZONE"...
  • littlemissanguissette
    littlemissanguissette Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I just got a month's supply of this, I'm going to start taking it Saturday [I have clinicals Thursday and Friday and I don't want to be bouncing off the walls trying to take care of patients]. I only plan on being on it for a month, then weaning off, and skipping a few months before trying again. Hopefully after the first month I won't need to take it. I plan on continuing eating healthy and exercising, as well.

What is the best way to wean yourself off these?
  • mamacremers
    Options
    I just got a month's supply of this, I'm going to start taking it Saturday [I have clinicals Thursday and Friday and I don't want to be bouncing off the walls trying to take care of patients]. I only plan on being on it for a month, then weaning off, and skipping a few months before trying again. Hopefully after the first month I won't need to take it. I plan on continuing eating healthy and exercising, as well.

I took a half pill for a week or two and then saved 6 or 7 and took a half pill every other day until they were all gone.
  • littlemissanguissette
    littlemissanguissette Posts: 248 Member
    Options

I took a half pill for a week or two and then saved 6 or 7 and took a half pill every other day until they were all gone.

Thank you, that sounds like a great way to wean myself off them! Appreciate the help :)