Hi from Houston

bobccpa
bobccpa Posts: 3
edited September 19 in Introduce Yourself
Anyone else having trouble eating healthy when at Houston area restaurants? Any good ideas?

Replies

• bobccpa
    bobccpa Posts: 3
    Anyone else having trouble eating healthy when at Houston area restaurants? Any good ideas?
  • I have that same problem. Houston is just one big fast food frenzy to begin with.... When I go out to restaurants, I pretty much have to stick to the salad part of the menu and grilled chicken dishes. Just about everything comes with fries or some other bad food, so I do try to substitute for something more healthy.

honestly, the best policy for me right now(especially being in Houston) is to go to the grocery store, buy all the healthy things and start eating at home instead of going out. I've been doing ti for 4 weeks now and its getting easier.

good luck!
  • rosabella
    rosabella Posts: 194 Member
    Hiya Bob! I'm here for this summer, and let me tell you, it is hard!! All they seem to have around here is bbq and Mexican food, which is super yummy but can be SO unhealthy!

I try to go to generic places like Fridays and Applebees a lot, where they at least offer some healthier options. When I get Mexican, I always get fajitas and limit myself to 1, maybe 1.5 tortillas. Fill it with veggies, skip the sour cream, go easy on the cheese and it's not too bad... I avoid bbq at all costs b/c it is a weakness for me!

The only other advice I have is to watch out for high-calorie salad dressing (get it on the side instead of piled on the lettuce) and eat no more than 75% of what is served on your plate. If you map it out before you start eating, it's easier to stop.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,788 Member
    I'm not from Houston, but last time I was there, I ate at the Hobbit Cafe, which was good and healthy. Sweet Tomatoes has all their calorie info at the restaurant, which is nice. Here's a list of veggie friendly places which tend to cater to the healthier crowd:
    http://www.happycow.net/north_america/usa/texas/houston/index.html
This discussion has been closed.