Week 3 of C25K Running Program, and only have lost 3 lbs

Options
But, i feel as if i have lost 20 or 30 pounds!

I have bounced around between 240 - 270 since having my daughter 2 1/ 2 years ago. During my pregnancy, I gained 90 lbs, was just above 290 at delivery. Yes, I do realize that would be an average of 10 pounds a month, 2.5 pounds a week, just over a 1/3rd of a pound a day. I don't even want to calculate how many calories a day that would be.

How could anyone gain ten pounds a month? Well, i seemed to manage just fine, eating ice cream and chips just about daily. I went from running five miles a day, a few times a week before I was pregnant, (at about 190 - 200lbs) eating a fairly healthy, nutritious diet to just walking a few times a week and eating pretty much whatever I wanted. In theory it sounds great, but it was no fun at all. I had people ask me if I was having twins, to which I responded, nope I just got fat.

Anyways, I was thinking while i was running this morning about how great i feel, despite only losing 3 pounds these last three weeks. I am currently 264, and in week 3 of c25k. Now, I actually feel pretty darned good while running. Granted, my run/jog is probably as slow as some people's walking pace, but I am still happy with it. I haven't been struggling much, except for the first day this week. I had misread the week's schedule, and ran double the amount that I was supposed to, for a total of 18 minutes of running. While I was running, I was thinking that I would have to repeat this week, as I didn't think I would be able to jump to week 4 if it was more intense. Thankfully though, I am doing just fine, especially when I am running what the program calls for. It was during my last running set today, that I was thinking about how much better I feel. Although it isn't part of the program, the last running set, I keep running until I can't run any further. Today, I quit running at almost 7:30 minutes. Anyways, I was thinking that i already feel as if I lost 20 or 30 pounds. I figure it must be the mental weight of relief that has lifted from my shoulders, just knowing that I am finally making positive changes in my life to become healthy and in shape, and knowing that I do not have to spend the rest of my life 100 pounds overweight.

Look out week 4!

For anyone interested in checking out Couch to 5K, here is the link:

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Replies

• Tiana405
    Tiana405 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Definitely going to try it! I've been running, going on my 6th week now, and I don't feel like I'm improving.... hoping this helps! Also, 3lbs in 3 weeks is GREAT AND HEALTHY! Those are pounds that you won't gain back... well... unless you really try to. : ) Thank you so much for your post, good luck and congrats! : )
  • kms1981
    kms1981 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I started week 4 last night. I knew it was going to be hard on me but I pushed through it. I did my run on a 4.7 speed on the treadmill which is a bit lower then my other weeks but 5 minutes felt like a lifetime! Way to go!
  • GooBeGone
    GooBeGone Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    i don't do the c25k program but i do run. when i run i noticed that i don't drop a lot of weight but i've lost a LOT of inches. i've shed 16lbs in 3months. but i've also shed over 27inches around my chest, waist, abs, & hips. i've gone from a size 18 to 14/16.

so in other words. do measurements as well as lookin at ur weight. go by how u feel.

hope this helps :flowerforyou:
  • Queenie000
    Queenie000 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Definitely going to try it! I've been running, going on my 6th week now, and I don't feel like I'm improving.... hoping this helps! Also, 3lbs in 3 weeks is GREAT AND HEALTHY! Those are pounds that you won't gain back... well... unless you really try to. : ) Thank you so much for your post, good luck and congrats! : )

Thanks, good luck to you too! Yup, i definitely recommend the C25K program, it starts off slow and easy and gradually works your way up to running a 5k.
  • Queenie000
    Options
    I started week 4 last night. I knew it was going to be hard on me but I pushed through it. I did my run on a 4.7 speed on the treadmill which is a bit lower then my other weeks but 5 minutes felt like a lifetime! Way to go!

Wow, 4.7, that's awesome! I run outside, so i have no idea what the speed is, other than very slow! But, I know as I start to get in better shape, and lose some of this extra weight, I am bound to get faster. Congrats on starting week 4, it does look challenging. Keep at it!
  • Queenie000
    Options
    i don't do the c25k program but i do run. when i run i noticed that i don't drop a lot of weight but i've lost a LOT of inches. i've shed 16lbs in 3months. but i've also shed over 27inches around my chest, waist, abs, & hips. i've gone from a size 18 to 14/16.

so in other words. do measurements as well as lookin at ur weight. go by how u feel.

hope this helps :flowerforyou:

Hi,

Thanks for the encouraging words, I have checked my measurements, doesn't seem to be anything yet. My main goal is to run a 5k, but of course hope to lose some of this weight on the way. It looks like your starting weight was 248, did you start running then? Did it take you awhile to build up some endurance? Congrats on losing 27 inches, that's over 2 feet, amazing!