Don't Break the Habit!!!

Options
Habits are hard to break, right?

Sure, when it comes to quitting smoking, biting your nails, or any other unpleasant addiction you’re trying to kick.

But as Murphy’s Law would have it, the good habits are, conversely, often a little too easy to shake. Take your fitness habit, for example. If you’re even a little weak in your resolve, just about anything can knock you off your stride.

You come down with the flu and have to miss a week or so of regular workouts until your body regains some of its strength. Once it does, you’re out of practice.

You hit your busy time of year at work and skip one workout … two … maybe three?

You “just don’t feel like it” a few too many times.

Valid or not, excuses like these can spell danger for a fitness plan.

Skipping too many workouts can open the door for discouragement when you do get back to it. Depending on how long you’ve let things slide, you could have lost some endurance, gained some pounds, and feel less exercise-competent overall.

There’s a fine line between allowing yourself some leeway so that your workout routine doesn’t become drudgery, and getting so lax that exercise loses its place as a priority in your life.

Motivation tips:
• Write down your reasons for exercise. Whether you want to drop a few jeans sizes or lower your risk for heart disease, keeping your goals at the forefront is the ultimate motivator.
• Allow yourself the occasional off-day, but avoid long breaks from the gym. Make a realistic goal of working out most days of the week, schedule those days on your daily planner, and stick to them.
• Exercise even when you feel low on energy; odds are the workout will make you feel more energized.
• Don’t waste time talking yourself out of exercising and counting the reasons not to … just do it. You’ll be glad you did.

Replies

• BrendaBlis
    BrendaBlis Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting that! I was just sitting starting to be lazy about the treadmill, I'm going to get on it as soon as I get home. :)
  • trish2011
    trish2011 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    :)))
  • kellykaye_xo
    kellykaye_xo Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    This is great advice! Thanks so much for posting!