Recipes for soups?

Options
halphord
halphord Posts: 379 Member
I want to make some soup this weekend, to make for the upcoming week's lunches...anyone have any good recipes you are willing to share? I'm not a picky eater. I don't like okra or eggplant, but that's about all that's off limits. :)

Replies

• Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I've got a great butternut squash soup recipe somehwere. I'll try to dig it up. My mom, who does not intentionally eat vegetables, actually liked it!

It was from Cooking Light many moons ago, and I think it's called something like Root Vegetable soup because it also has turnips in it. I'll go digging for it later!
  • helenium
    helenium Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    You can make soup out of anything! I'm sure other people will have more exact suggestions, but we had a roast dinner one Sunday and it turned into a soup (chicken, vegetables, potatoes, parsnips) the next day.

For example: broccoli soup. Two broccoli florets finely chopped (including stalk), an onion (or two) finely chopped, a potato (peeled and chopped into tiny chunks). Put into a pan. Fry a bit (minimal EVOO). Dilute with enough water to almost cover everything and boil. Continue cooking for 30 mins or so - you want it to be quite smooth. Then whizz it with a hand blender (you can remove half the solids and re-add them later to give it munchiness). Alternatively, replace the broccoli with brussel sprouts, mushrooms or - well - any vegetable within reason!

Edit: Correction.

Eventually you don't really need recipes to make soups anymore - it's just a case of putting in lots of yummy ingredients and seeing what happens at the end of it. :)

If you were looking for something not low-calorie you could add more oil or even butter, but I have a feeling you want low calorie soups. I never add butter.
  • halphord
    Options
    I've got a great butternut squash soup recipe somehwere. I'll try to dig it up. My mom, who does not intentionally eat vegetables, actually liked it!

It was from Cooking Light many moons ago, and I think it's called something like Root Vegetable soup because it also has turnips in it. I'll go digging for it later!

I love butternut squash...sounds great! thanks!
  • pressica
    pressica Posts: 361
    Options
    Check out this thread. We collected quite a few yummy recipes.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/120172-cold-weather-ahead-the-all-soups-thread
  • pressica
    pressica Posts: 361
    Options
    Check out this thread. We collected quite a few yummy recipes.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/120172-cold-weather-ahead-the-all-soups-thread
  • wmubuffettfan
    wmubuffettfan Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    This is one of my favorite recipes I have found since I started my weight loss journey:

Chicken Chowder Hispaniola

12 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 3/4 inch cubes
    1 teaspoon olive oil
    1 onion chopped
    1 can (15 oz) garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
    1 can (14 1/2 oz) reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
    1 can (15 oz) reduced-sodium diced tomatoes, undrained
    2 cups packed fresh spinach leaves
    2 tablespoons sofrito sauce
    Salt and Pepper to taste
    1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted

1. Saute chicken in oil in large saucepan until lightly browned, add onion, saute until tender
    2. Add beans, broth, and tomatoes and liquid. Heat to boiling; reduce heat and simmer, covered 10 minutes. Stir in spinach and sofrito, and simmer 10 minutes longer, season to taste with salt and pepper.
    3. Spoon chowder into bowls, sprinkle with almonds

4 servings
    Calories 346
    Fat 10.5
    sat fat 1.9
    cholesterol 54.3
    sodium 639
    protein 30.5
    carbs 28.2
  • katers147
    katers147 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I made a “chicken noodle soup” the other night. It was really good and really easy. My husband asked for it again tonight so it is in the crock pot as we speak! Here’s the recipe

1 or 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
    1 can cream of chicken soup ( I used the full-fat full calorie kind so the 98% fat free would make it even less calories)
    ½ cup of chicken broth
    ½ cup of water
    1 bag of California style frozen vegetables (cauliflower, broccoli, and carrots)
    I also add black pepper, onion powder, and basil

Throw it all in the crock pot and cook on low for 6-8 hours.

Then I just cook the noodles (I use whole grain rotini) and put them into the crock pot for like 5 minutes and serve.

Serves 4 (probably more but I like a lot of soup ) for 283 calories
  • halphord
    Options
    Thank you! That's perfect.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Beef Borscht

3 cans unsalted beets
    1 lb round steak, cubed
    1 med onion, chopped
    1.5 c. mushrooms, sliced or chopped
    3 small potatoes, diced
    2 cups no sodium beef or veggie broth
    1 tsp Dill weed
    1/4 tsp Mace
    1 tsp ground pepper
    plus any other spices you think sound interesting

Throw it all in the crock pot and cook on low for 4-6 hours. 8 servings at 180 cals (leaves some calories for the sour cream on top)

*~*~*~*~*~*~~*

Harvest Squash Soup

4 c. Butternut squash, cubed
    2 c. Acorn squash, cubed
    2 med. russet potatoes, cubed
    60 baby carrots (approximate), cut in half
    6 c/ Low-fat chicken or vegetable broth
    2 tsp. Garlic salt
    1 Tbsp Thyme
    1 tsp Dill weed
    1 tsp Nutmeg, ground
    1/4 c. Potato flour
    1 can, corn, unsalted

Throw it all in the crock pot and cook on low for 4-6 hours. 8 servings at 216 cals
    (The huge amount of carrots is because I had a bag that was going to go bad otherwise... feel free to use less. :smile: )
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options

I love butternut squash...sounds great! thanks!

Found it! It was from 1997! LOL

http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=10000000222788

Gingered Winter Squash-and-Root Vegetable Soup

Yield: 11 cups (serving size: 1 cup)

Ingredients
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    1 large onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
    1 teaspoon ground ginger
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
    1/4 teaspoon ground mace
    1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
    6 cups cubed peeled butternut squash (about 2 pounds)
    2 1/2 cups cubed peeled sweet potato (about 3/4 pound)
    3/4 cup (1-inch-thick) sliced parsnip
    5 (10 1/2-ounce) cans low-salt chicken broth
    1 cup skim milk
    Preparation
    Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add onion and next 8 ingredients (onion through red pepper); sauté 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook 5 minutes or until onion is tender. Add squash, sweet potato, parsnip, and broth. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, partially covered, 30 minutes or until tender.

Place one-third of vegetable mixture in a blender or food processor; process until smooth. Pour puréed vegetable mixture into a large bowl. Repeat procedure with remaining vegetable mixture. Return puréed mixture to pan; stir in milk. Cook over low heat 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated, stirring occasionally.

Nutritional Information
    Calories:128 (26% from fat)
    Fat:3.7g (sat 0.8g,mono 1.1g,poly 1.4g)
    Protein:3.6g
    Carbohydrate:21.7g
    Fiber:2.5g
    Cholesterol:0.0mg
    Iron:1.5mg
    Sodium:172mg
    Calcium:69mg
    Cooking Light, JANUARY 1997