bodyfat measurement options

Options
kensky
kensky Posts: 472 Member
The rec. center where I work out has two options for "body composition assessment". They are both reasonably affordable. The first is what they call direct segmental multi-frequency bioelectrical impedance method. This is fifteen dollars. The second is good ol' caliper testing for five bucks. When I googled bioelectrical impedance method, I got two things: The website for the manufacturer of this machine and critiques of the machine. Would I be better off saving ten bucks and getting caliper'ed?

Replies

• taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    The geek in me says to do both and compare the #'s. That said, I see it claimed all the time that caliper-measuring, by a skilled technician, yields extremely accurate results.
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    caliper its more accurate and reliable the other one has to many variables to be accurate.
  • Rocki_
    Rocki_ Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I would agree that calipers are accurate...but only as accurate as the person weilding them!! I think I would go for both and compare, were I you.

Cheers!:smile:
  • Shawnalee0703
    Shawnalee0703 Posts: 1,093
    Options
    I am with taso... do both! :-D I personally get extremely inaccurate caliper results! haha but that is all do to my skin thing... Lots of fun, not! Anyhow, Go for both- and then for the even more accurate, hunt down a submersion tank! :-D
  • kensky
    Options
    Ooh. I'm so tempted to do both and compare, taso! And then report back! Hah! Well, I might need to check in and see if the two schedules mesh well (child care juggling...sigh). I really am tempted.

Rocki, I'm inclined to think that the folks at my place might not bung up the job. I like that where I go isn't a gym so much as a very well funded community/wellness center so it might not be just somebody they pull from the receptionist desk to pinch away at me.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Caliper! The scale is not accurate when if you are dehydrated, have already worked out, time of day, what you ate the day before, etc etc. I'm at 27% on the scale and 24% on the calipers. I've had several different people use the calipers at different dr offices and the answer is always the same. If I step on the scale it can go from 29-25% within 2 hours time.
  • Shawnalee0703
    Shawnalee0703 Posts: 1,093
    Options
    Caliper! The scale is not accurate when if you are dehydrated, have already worked out, time of day, what you ate the day before, etc etc. I'm at 27% on the scale and 24% on the calipers. I've had several different people use the calipers at different dr offices and the answer is always the same. If I step on the scale it can go from 29-25% within 2 hours time.
    I think the OP is refering to the hand help device... it measures slightly differently than the scale (on the scale i am 33% but with the handheld I am under 30% haha). but you are correct that method does have a lot of variables that can change the results. Definately! Unfortunately I have no method! lol
  • kensky
    Options
    Yes, my guess is that it's not a scale. Here is the write up:
    INBOdY 230
    Body Composition analyzer of direct segmental multi-frequency
    bioelectrical impedance method. Measures weight, total body
    water, intracellular & extracellular water, lean body mass, dry lean
    mass, body fat mass, skeletal muscle mass, BMI, percent body
    fat, segmental lean mass (right & left arm, trunk, and right & left
    leg), fat control, lbm control, and basal metabolic rate.
    Customized user information sheets are printed for an easy understanding of your results.

And when rereading the blurb I saw that this was only 5 dollars on the first Tuesday of every month. So now I think I really will do both! I wonder how long each process takes.