BMI Question

Options
Are BMI calculators accurate for women with large breasts?

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    It's body differences like that which cause so much controversy around BMI calculators. Body builders, for example, are usually classified as obese because of their increased muscle mass. You really need to combine your BMI with your waist size. If I remember correctly, it's over 40" for obese but don't quote me.
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    BMI is a general rule of thumb. One takes it into account, but doesn't treat it as gospel.
  • LaDiablesse
    LaDiablesse Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    BMI doesn't actually measure the percentage of body fat. It's based on your height & your weight plain & simple. As sfoust66 said, body builders are classified as obese which obviously isn't correct.

I'm large breasted, and they don't go away when I lose weight. So I wouldn't rely on a BMI calculator alone to determine anything.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    I dont like BMI's for the fact that it doesnt take into account Lean body mass..meaning muscle mostly. those who have lots of muscles can register high BMI's..if you want to judge anything you need to find your body fat %
  • VialOfDreams
    Options
    Are BMI calculators accurate for women with large breasts?

Yes and no. Yes, if you use a BMI calculator that takes into consideration your body frame. Also, remember that breasts will shrink with weight. I always thought I had big boobs (measuring 36DD), until I lost the weight and turns out my 'normal' boobs are much smaller.

But I hate BMI calculators. Which is why I also said "no". They do not take into consideration body-fat percentage. Body-fat percentage is the most accurate way to determine whether or not one is too lean, lean, just right, overweight or obese. You can buy the equipment to measure it (there is a digital machine that does a really good job at it), or you can just have it measured at your local gym for an accurate result.
  • david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I don't think you should place too much emphasis on BMI - how you look is the important thing. Standing in front of the mirror naked is a pretty good measure in my opinion - we know when we look good... mostly, and for those who don't, I'm sorry for you...
  • Taith
    Taith Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I wish there was something that would take into account my bust (I got stuck with and I cup).
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    I wish there was something that would take into account my bust (I got stuck with and I cup).

What's the point? If you're fat, you're fat with big boobs. If you're lean, you're lean with an I cup (...). I'm guessing you're not lean. And BMI says you're overweight or obese or whatever it says. Body fat analysis might put you at 32%. Some of that is breasts, too, of course. But so what?

What matters is your health and how comfortable you are with your body. If you have fat rolls you want to get rid of, eat a decent amount of protein, exercise, and eat at an overall calorie deficit.

Maybe you'll be the way you want to look and feel in 10 lbs. Maybe 40. Everyone has different objectives.
  • A_nori
    A_nori Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I use my BMI as a guide. It is not the end-all, be-all but is something I look to for an idea of what I should weigh. I have never weighed in at a healthy BMI - my chest is way too huge even at my smallest - and I think that would be way too thin for me. But I would like to be closer to that number. My Dr said she doesn't get concerned unless you are classified as obese or higher.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, the cosmetic surgeon who I want to remove my extra skin DOES rely on it. I have DDs they definitely add 5-10 lbs to my frame. I am also 5' 3". She won't do surgery unless my BMI is under 35. I'm at 38. with big boobs and a LOT of extra skin.

How did you even find this thread to comment @cyndibussey?
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    The only way that I can see a reputable cosmetic surgeon doing skin surgery at a BMI above 30 is if it is a preliminary surgery to get rid of a physical impediment to movement, such as a low-hanging panniculus.

Also if the loose skin is causing pain, infections, or lymphedema. Many weight loss shows I watch feature skin removal surgery on patients nowhere near goal weight.