I need support..mom with fibro - can I do this?

Options
Hi Everyone :) I am 32, very happily married mom of 4 young kiddos. I need to lose close 80-100 lbs and quite frankly I have no clue how to find the strength to do it. I know there's no other way - I need to get in shape because I can't keep up with my kids, because I am tired all the time and it's also harder and harder to find nice clothes to wear. I don't like the way I look and I hate the way I feel. I also have fibromyalgia which complicates things even more - I barely have energy to get done with houseworks etc. let alone exercise. I know once I start to get in shape it will get easier - even the physical pains will be so much easier to bear than now. I just don't know how to start. I am a carb junkie, I am still breastfeeding and I have endless appetite especially in the evenings :(.
I really would like to find some friends here..I often feel like the whole world consists only beautiful, skinny, healthy women and then there's me, and I feel really lonely. I need encouragement and I know once I put my mind to it I will be able to offer quite a bit of support as well. A year or two ago I've lost 70 lbs within 9 months but it all crept back on me in about the same time or less :(
Anyways, I wish you all good luck and good health :) Thanks for reading my intro.

Replies

• ZaraHatswell
    Options
    Hi,just wanted to say I know exactly how you feel,I am 34 with 3 younge children and also have Fibro plus spine and neck deformalities,I have also lost weight before but always put back on much more than I lose!! I hope you do well with the diet x zara x
  • ChubbyCatapiller
    Options
    Welcome to MFP, this is a great site, not only is it easy to monitor the food you eat and excerise, it is also filled with really great supportive people. I would recommend joining a support group on here, they help keep you motivated and are also there when you have a bad day. Congrats on taking a step toward a lifestyle change that results in a healthier happier you. You can friend me if you like. : ) Good luck on your weightloss journey.
  • LaineyLuvsChad
    Options
    you can absolutely do this....I am just beginning too but if i have learned anything...I have learned that carbs MAKE you tired! Its time to do something for yourself!! You deserve it lets do it together add me!
  • sturgill
    sturgill Posts: 118
    Options
    Hi rubydrop- welcome - you are not alone- there are some who only need to loose 10 lbs or so but most are in the same boat you and I are. or started there. with your additional health problems it won't be easy but you can do it and there is a lot of support on this site to help you . so good luck - add me as a friend if you want :ohwell:
  • helthymom6
    Options
    Hi I am also A mom. I have about 100+ lbs to lose. You can do this. It might be slow it might be hard at times but in the end it will all be worth it. My brother has fibro- I know it can be difficult to deal with. I have heard that sometimes moving around can make it better. .
  • lizconnor0823
    Options
    Yes you can do this! It certainly won't be easy, but it will be worth it! My my mom has Fibro and I have seen her struggles with pain and energy. Feel free to friend me and I will be as much of a support as I can be!
  • Laurieannfanelli
    Laurieannfanelli Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hi I also have fibro. I am 49 yrs old and started losing at 175 am now at 137. If I wound not have started this weight loss journey I wouldn't feel this fantastic. The excersise makes me feel better, if I don't work out I start to feel bad..So I work out every day taking one day off. Just a little at first, now I am at the stage of being able to do strength training four days a week. I will not stop I know how much pain I am in when I don't, yes I get sore but it isn't the same as the pain I go through when I get a flare up. I still get them,:smile: but not a often as I did before I hope this helped. Good luck with your journey.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 4,999 Member
    Options
    I am 48 and have 7 children the older 4 are adults now and dont live at home. The younger 3 we adopted and are 14,12 and 11. I also have fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome and hypothyroid. I lost 105 lbs about 12 yrs ago I kept it off for 4 yrs and then got sick with fibro and stuff. I stopped exercising and moved less and less as time went on, the meds made me gain weight and I started comfort eating. over time I gained back all the weight plus more. But I started on my weighloss journey and joined here in july 2010 and so far I have lost 60 lbs. I still have a ways to go but I will do it. And so will you. We can do this. Feel free to add me
  • Kellee_76
    Kellee_76 Posts: 91
    Options
    I'm 34 and about to get married (in June) and hopefully have kids as soon as I can. I also have fibromyalgia. I've struggled to lose weight in the past. I lost 80+ pounds and kept if off for years until my FM caused me to reduce my work schedule and be nearly bedridden. I gained a lot of weight with my meds, too (cymbalta + lyrica + others). But mostly I gained more than half of that 80 pounds back because i felt too miserable to cook or to exercise.

MFP has helped a lot! It motivates me to eat right, I'm back on track with my weight loss after a long hiatus (I lost about 20 pounds with MFP about a year ago) and it motivates me to exercise. I feel great! Yes, I may only rack up a few miles walking at a slow pace but I feel like a superstart that I can even do that now. As someone with FM, I know where you're coming from and I really salute you for the effort you're undertaking. It's going to be worth it. Just stick with it! Feel free to add me as a friend :)
  • snookemz
    snookemz Posts: 82
    Options
    you certainly can - 80% of weight loss is in the diet
  • Kimberlybooth
    Options
    Hey there!

I would love to be your friend of offer what support I can.
    So... where do we start?
    First of all lets start with your head - because if your not ready there, you will fail.
    So... the way you think is directly connected to how you feel.
    May I start by suggesting you look at: http://www.psiseminars.com/
    There's a wealth of information about changing the way you think and empowering yourself.
    Anthony Robins has some GREAT stuff as well.

Lets chat again soon!
    Hugs