Calorie Question for Morbidly Obese

Options
Hello all, I'm Lindsay. I'm 32, 342 pounds and looking for some advice. I have been trying to find out how many calories I should be eating in order to lose weight, and holy moly are there conflicting theories and answers. My BMI is 55.5 and according to my height and weight, in order to maintain, I need about 2800 calories daily (I'm currently above this because I am gaining weight.) My goal weight is realistically about 160, with a net calories (before daily exercise) of about 1800.

So. Here's my issue. I know it takes 3500 calories burned (or a deficit or normal eating) in order to lose a pound. I understand that. The confusion come from exercise calories, weight per week lost by someone with 180 pounds to lose and how to determine how many calories to eat per day.

So here are the varying theories:

2785 calories a day (with sedentary lifestyle) to maintain current weight.

1800 calories a day for someone 5'6 and 160 pounds. In order to get to this weight, eat your goal calories.

Lose 2 pounds a week with a 7000 calorie a week deficit, eat 1000 calories less per day than usual (or eat 500 calories and exercise 500 calories.)

Some say to eat whatever calories you burn off (doesn't this seem kinda counter-productive?)

And some say that for very large people, the body will go into "starvation mode" if it eats less 2500 calories/day for someone my size.

I'm so confused.

I MUST LOSE WEIGHT! I'm serious, determined, and ready to start today I just don't know how many calories I need. I also think 1-2 pounds a week for someone my size is a load of tosh. I was to lose more than that, not only for health but motivation.

Keep in mind I will be walking at a moderate pace at least 30 mins a day.

Thanks for your help! It's just tough to wade through all the crap and find out what you really need to do.

(And yes, I've entered my data here...just doesn't seem low enough.)

Replies

• leafyq
    leafyq Posts: 21
    Options
    The reason there are theories and not concrete answers is that it's something hard to pin down. My suggestion is to not think about calories. Log them and track what you eat, but don't think, "I'm staying under ____ calories." Eat an amount of healthy food that fills you up. Eat more when you're hungry. But make sure it's healthy, lower calorie food.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    For one I'll suggest you've come to MFP let MFP work for you.
    I'm down 20 lbs by following their calorie goal for me.

I set my activity level to sedentary (desk job) and track actual workouts when I do them. With next to no exercise I've lost the 20lbs, my calories given for the day are right around 1990 which is appropriate for my goal of 2 lbs a week of loss, basically 1000 calories a day below what I'd have if I wanted to maintain my current weight.

IF you use MFP's tools the calories it tells you to eat daily are based on your chosen rate of weight loss be that 0.5 lbs 1lb, 1.5 lbs or 2 lbs a week. Exercise makes your defecit larger, I do eat some of my exercise calories when I do workout, keeping my defecit pretty well at what MFP set for me.

Let it work, and work the system, as you read other sites you'll find different info, everyone's got THE secret to weight loss to share, I say form my progress on MFP that I'm listening to basically what I find here on MFP
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Start at where you are or where MFP puts you and continually lower the calories until you get to 1200 per day. Make sure you log all your food and liquid intake and remember PROTEIN first, ALWAYS! Log your exercise and again increase that each time you lower your calories!

Good Luck, I know you can do it!
  • mochama12487
    mochama12487 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I would suggest to follow whatever MFP has given you with their goals. I have followed the calories they have given me (I started at 309* and was allowed 2120 calories) and I have so far lost 21 pounds. Different people do lose differently, but I would just stick with what MFP puts you at for now, and wait for results. If you don't get any, maybe reevaluate what it is that you are eating (I.E. fatty foods, sugary products, things high in sodium)
  • amtietje
    amtietje Posts: 2
    Options
    My tip is to talk to a professional in your area. Most gyms have trainers available and a free week pass to try it out. The trainers I have talked to and worked with all agree with the same thing that bmi is not the most accurate way to measure a persons body fat. The body fat % is the most accurate way. Find a trainer that uses measurements to calculate that number. As far as the amount of calories I would suggest taking a normal day of what you eat and count that up. Take a hundred calories out of that until you start to see results from it, but don't subtract to aggressively because it wont be accurate. Try one week at a time and log the changes in your body. Not just your weight but also the way your clothes fit. You could be putting on muscle mass which weighs more than fat but you will start to show some slimming with muscle. Muscle also burns more calories than fat does as well so having more lean muscle actually helps you burn more calories. I hope I have helped you understand and have not added to your confussion.
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I'm bigger than you. Since joining MFP (seriously using it) I've lost 7lbs ...I know I've lost more but had a cheap stupid scale when I started. The 7lbs is from the good scale that I just recently bought. (WEIGH DAY FRIDAY!). I was originally set to sedentary lifestyle but opted for 1lb loss per week (3x a week exercise 30 mins each time). This past week or so I've changed it to 2lbs per week. I didn't change my lifestyle but I've noticed my exercise has gone up. I do it everyday 45mins +. I generally walk 1.2 miles or do an at home video called Family Walk which is a vigorous 2mi walk. I'm nervous about weigh day friday because this is the week that I changed my weight per week. I'm pretty sure I will lose though as I've been exercising more. Majority of the time I stay under calorie goal that MFP has set for me. Sometimes I eat a little bit of my exercise calories but not all of them (except once which was my birthday last week lol...still didn't go over had 20 left!)

My suggestion is to add a woman named Ladyhawk. She's on my buddy list and she's BRILLIANT. Also, listen to MFP. Stay within your calorie/fat goals for the day. It will work for you if you stay on track and take it serious. Keep telling yourself it's not a diet...it's a forever life style change.

Good luck with your goals! MFP is great and there are some seriously supportive people. :) Feel free to add me if you need a little encouragement.

edit: PS. I started out with 5-15 mins walks a day.
  • MeganH81
    MeganH81 Posts: 38
    Options
    I've watched the show "Heavy" and they use 1200 calories/day

don't know if I really answered your question but I hope that helps
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    If you do something like South Beach Phase 2 that would be a good start. You get low glycemic carbs and veggies, lean protein, dairy, fruit...AND they say DO NOT count calories. All you need to do is follow labeling as to what is a serving. Here is the website:
    http://www.southbeach-diet-plan.com/shoppinglist_p2.htm You can list your food and beverages on here to learn what works for you.
  • waster196
    waster196 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I started out at 340.5lbs and had been stuck there for about 4 weeks before joining MFP (was watching things myself before joining MFP and had shifted a bit of weight previously). I just went with what MFP said from the get go. Whatever advice you choose to follow, there'll always be conflicting advice telling you you're wrong. You can't try everything at once so if you're here on MFP, go with it. If it doesn't work out, tweak it for your individual needs. Personally, I don't eat my exercise calories (here's waiting for the boarders to tell me that I'm wrong blah blah blah), but will occasionally nibble into them - I think this being necessary or unnecessary is different depending on individual people and their needs, you have to see what works for you.

When you have a lot of weight to lose, like us, it's important to remember you are in this for the long haul. You're not going to do this overnight and you're not going to drop 4lbs every week. 2lbs a week is suggested because it's sustainable, when you have 100lbs+ to lose, sustainable is key.

For people of our weight, weight loss is incredibly important but remember - if you don't enjoy doing it, you probably won't keep doing it. Use the first couple of weeks to find what works for you, physically and mentally, and then enjoy the benefits!
  • fcrisswell
    fcrisswell Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Don't overwhelm yourself. Follow what MFP has set for you and as you lose weight then make adjustments. Start by changing one thing at a time. Make batter food choices. try to eliminate processed foods and eat cleaner...proteins, veggies, fruit. You should not feel like you are starving yourself either. 1200 calories is way low for some one in general not to mention someone use to eating 3 times that.

I once weighed nearly 400 pounds. I did have weight loss surgery 4 years ago but that is not for everyone. Do what you can and keep trying. Hell, even I am here because food is still an issue for me...and always will be.
  • tatorbabe26
    Options
    You cant really figure out an exact mathematical equation for it because every body is different. You just have to start somewhere and do it.... adjusting as necessary. I used to be 240lbs and one thing I learned is the more you weigh, the quicker larger amounts of weight will be lost than someone who weighs less. I lost 20lbs in the first month just from adjusting my diet to less high processed foods, drinking large amounts of water, and being more active. My advice would be to figure out how many calories a person of your goal weight would need to consume in maintaining their weight and slowly start working down to that figure. You want to lose a lot of weight quickly for your health, but losing it at a healthy pace is better for your health and your more likely to keep it off.

Good luck!
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    While I am taller and male I did start this at 350lbs. So my calorie requirements are a bit higher because of the difference in muscle mass between men and women. I set mine to lose 2 lbs a week and it put me at just over 2000 calories a day. This has worked just fine for me after I totally revamped my diet to eliminate refined sugar, white flour products, and reduce sodium intake. I eat whole grains like brown rice (even though it gives me gas :laugh: ), lots of fruits and veggies, and lean proteins like chicken breast and seafoods. In the two months I have been doing this I have nearly dropped 40 lbs.

I eat at least 1/2 of my exercise calories back, sometimes all of them. The reason I do this is to fuel my body, I want to eat back what I burn because I already have 1,000 calories deficit a day. I don't want to lose weight faster because I will start losing more muscle than normal, not something I want. Look at the point of exercise as building muscle tissue instead of 'burning calories' Then maybe the 'eat your exercise calories' makes more sense.

I would just use MFP as your guide, it work pretty well.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    First, I'll say that MFP's formula works. Some people may need some tweaking at some point, but for the vast majority the calculations MFP uses are accurate. The reason it works is that it gives you a moderate deficit that allows for healthy, reasonable weight loss AND teaches you to eat a healthy amount of healthy food. Just arbitrarily going down to 1200 cals doesn't take into account YOUR body (height, weight, age, etc) and is, in effect, for a lot of people a "crash diet". And we know those don't work because eventually you go off the diet and go back to your normal eating habits. Eating too little will likely only lead to feeling deprived, bingeing and weight regain. MFP promotes healthy weightloss that is sustainable. So I can't recommend enough that when you're starting out, use the guided goals, enter your info accurately - and then follow the plan.

You MAY do ok not eating your exercise cals for a time since you have that much to lose (if you don't understand why we say to eat them, read the threads - MFP uses different calculations than other counters/most trainers). As you get leaner, it becomes more important to eat them. But be aware, again, that you're not JUST trying to lose weight - you're trying to build healthy habits and fueling the body properly is part of that. Just because you see it on Biggest Loser or somewhere, does NOT mean that what they're doing is healthy or sustainable. Most of them regain at least some weight, and there are testimonials about the VERY unhealthy things they're encouraged to do to "make those big numbers". Do it the healthy way.

Also, I'd recommend reading these threads that will help explain how MFP works and help determine a healthy, realistic goal/deficit. Good luck to you!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/186814-some-mfp-basics

Edit to add: You will see a lot of weight loss shows, etc that have people on 1200/day or less (ie Heavy, which is actually a good show) - but PLEASE remember that the people doing this are being monitored by docs and have EVERY meal planned by a dietitian. Unless you have the benefit of that, you'll often be missing some nutrients.
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    ^ She's amazing.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    ^ She's amazing.

Awww shucks :blushing: Thanks.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,164 Member
    Options
    The more obese you are, the better your body can handle a large (2 pound per week) deficit). At this point I will concur with those who say follow MFP's suggestions on calories. As to eating exercise calories back, that is an area where I am not sure which way to go. There are good arguments for both approaches for obese people. When you get out of the obese category I would say eating exercise calories and reducing your pounds per week goal to 1 or ever .5 pound a week would be a good idea as is eating your exercise calories. That will likely be a while for you, and if you keep reading here, you will learn a lot in that time.

Most of all, be patient. It took time to put it on, it will take time to take it off.

Remember this is not just about losing weight, although that is where most of us start, a large portion of it is getting healthy and fit so you can enjoy doing things and have energy to do things. Every once in a while I pick up a weight of the amount of weight I lost and think, this is what I used to carry around 24/7, no wonder I would run out of energy all the time. It is realizing that sort of thing that will help you when you hit plateaus where you don't lose weight, but other measures of health and fitness are improving.