What's yours?

Options
Hello,
My name's Jordan, and it's my first day here. I've tried since I was in fourth grade to lose weight, and I've lost weight doing some things, but I can't seem to keep it up.
What are your inspirations to lose weight, and keep losing, or what are some tips you could give me?

Thank you (:

Replies

• tknuzum
    tknuzum Posts: 52
    Options
    Take it one day at a time. Its a life change, not just a quick fix. You are in a marathon of life, not a sprint. If you mess up on your daily stuff just back into it and keep going. Find what works for you and have fun with it. Its a lifetime commitment. :)
  • ChantalD75
    ChantalD75 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I take it one day at a time. Don't look at the big picture... I am doing this for myself ... and my kids! I want to be around for them for a long time!
  • RaeannePemberton
    RaeannePemberton Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    my motivation is MY OLD SELF. i am SO much happier now than i was at 254. but it is a CONSTANT battle. i will never be able to throw caution to the wind or i will end up right back to where i was. my issues that got me there followed me through 100 lbs of weightloss... and they aren't going anywhere. :) POWER TO THE PEOPLE !!! ;-)
  • digby765
    digby765 Posts: 163
    Options
    Hi and welcome, I'd say log in here every day MFP is a really boost, and keeps you going Good luck you can do it...:flowerforyou:
  • AndreaWyland
    AndreaWyland Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    What I found that works is exercise! And not just that but finding things you like to do that count as exercise. Hiking, running ( I was NEVER a runner, anyone can do it!, I started out 1 min run/jog 5 min walk and repeat now Im running in a ten mile race this weekend 2 yrs later:) snowboarding, tennis, swimming, etc. And if you can find a buddy, I rounded up about 5 and shout out to them when I need a partner for a run or whatever or my husband works out with me (snowboarding and hiking mountains). If you make activity your daily thing/routine you wont slip up and skip as often, at least thats what I do. Even on my day off (from exercise) I still do something active, garden, walk with my kids, clean the house, etc. and I dont eat back those cal all the time. Good luck! Be consistent and it WILL pay off:)
  • mkennedym
    mkennedym Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Hey good luck with your weight loss. I've always been pretty thing but over the course of thanksgiving and xmas I put on like 25 lbs (which is shocking). Right now I'm just keeping strict track of my calories and working out every day (lifting weights and running on the treadmill) and so far I've lost 10 lbs with 10 more to go before I'm at "beach weight." The hardest part is not falling back into eating crap when I get to 160 (like M&Ms and Pepsi and McDonalds). I'm actually going to try to put on muscle weight once I hit 160 but first I just want to lose all the fat I put on since November.
  • Linda4859
    Linda4859 Posts: 78
    Options
    Huney it is all about taking one day at a time. It doesnt matter what you do as long as you are moving and not grabbing everything that you can and eating it.

Sign into this site whenever you can and talk to anyone and everyone, you have all the support and advice that you will need, we all have the same goal in mind.

Please feel free to add me as a friend.x
  • Sarahr73
    Sarahr73 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Like so many have said, take it one day at a time. If you eat more than your calories one day, don't take it too hard. Tomorrow is a new day and you can just try to do better. Also, you may not always hit all of your nutrient goals (carbs, sodium, protein, and so on). If you go over on one day but met everything else, it's ok.
    And some people will not agree with me, but I love cheat days. I give myself one a week and it usually ends up being on the weekend. I don't binge, but I allow myself a few not so healthy options that I may have wanted earlier that week. It's like a mini reward every week to keep me motivated. If I am really craving something during the week, I tell myself if I still want it on my cheat day I can have it. Most times I forget what I craved and don't eat it.
    Good luck!
  • 321poppi
    321poppi Posts: 24
    Options
    :smile:
    I'm new here too...just started a few days ago, even though I added the my fitness partner app to my phone in the fall.

I think I love the phone app, now that I'm using it. It's really helped me be more conscientious about what I'm eating, because I try to add to my food diary every time I eat. yesterday, I didn't complete my food diary until after dinner and I was over my calorie goals by almost 400!

The recipe tool on this site is awesome too. I am a vegetarian, and eat pretty healthily - whole grains, fresh vegetables, olive oil, ---anyway... I cook a lot, and have no packaging to look at to see nutritional info. Using the customized recipe tool has enlightened me - actually it was shocking. I was totally unaware of how much I was eating - and how many calories I have been consuming.

What ajanae11 says about keeping active is also key. If you don’t have time to formally “workout”, go for a walk after dinner, take the stairs instead of the elevator, just move more. Little things through out the day can add up.

I know, theoretically loosing weight is simple - all we have to do is burn more calories a day than we consume. It’s not rocket science, but it’s not easy.

I'm hoping to find a support system here to keep me honest and motivated. For me, sometimes it helps to be accountable to others.
    Feel free to add me as a friend.

good luck and just keep at it.