C25K Question! GRRRR!

Tiana405
Tiana405 Posts: 270 Member
edited September 25 in Fitness and Exercise
The pace that is given is for a 10 minute mile. I know it says "jog 1/2 mile or 5 minutes" etc etc... but what if we just can't go this fast for the distance? Do I repeat the week until I can??? Please help... argh.

Replies

• Tobi1013
    Tobi1013 Posts: 732 Member
    If you are just starting out, don't worry about your pace. Concentrate on the time. Once you have built up your endurance, then work on your pace.

ETA: I started C25K last summer and stopped it but picked it back up again earlier this year. I am currently sidelined due to an injury but I can tell you from my own experience that working on the time is key. Even after taking some time off from the program (I was still running, but focused on distance) I definitely saw an improvement in my speed when I started it up again this year.
  • tknuzum
    tknuzum Posts: 52
    I don't know about you but I have never been able to run a 10 minute mile. Honestly when I do a treadmill version I do a 3 mile an hour walk, and a 5 mile an hour run. and as long as I can keep up with the intervals ok, I go to the next week when it says to. But I am curious what others say.
  • david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    Yes, I have done the programme and finished it - redo a week if you find it difficult... don't stress over it...

best regards,

David
  • tay_913
    tay_913 Posts: 71 Member
    I'm on week 2 right now where I run 90 seconds, walk 2 minutes. I do mine based on time and how I respond to the running and repeat if I feel necessary.
  • RaeannePemberton
    RaeannePemberton Posts: 382 Member
    don't start doing mileage until you are midway to almost done... go by time now. :-)
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    I'm training for a 1/2 marathon and I can barely eek out a 10 min mile :smile:

Just run concentrate on the time portion of the interval and work your way up to being able to run for 1/2 hr continuously. When you can do that, work on running the full 5k distance no matter how long it takes. Then you can start working on your distance and speed together if you want (or you can just keep running for 1/2 hr or 40 ish min- that is also great)
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    I'd concentrate on the distance and not the speed.

The distance will give you the endurance. There is no point in burning yourself out in the first mile and then being unable to compete miles two and three.

I was always told to slow down to run longer.

As your body gets used to running longer, you can slowly build speed.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    If you are just starting out, don't worry about your pace. Concentrate on the time. Once you have built up your endurance, then work on your pace.
    Agreed. I finished Week 3 Day 2 today. Was amazed by mow much easier Day 2 was than Day 3.

I concern myself with the time, using podcasts. Love the podcasts. My favorite at the moment are the NHS podcasts (http://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/couch-5K-running-plan.aspx). Socialized medicine horror stories aside, they have produced a good set of podcasts. But then again, I could listen to that British accent all day.
  • KTNemo
    KTNemo Posts: 100
    I completed C25K in November with an average mile time of 11.5/minute. I ran my first 5K in 34 minutes, which isn't bad for a person who never liked running before.

I ran my second 5K two weeks ago. My average mile time is now 10.25/mile. I have been running for almost 8 months, at least 2 days/week, and I still don't run a 10-minute mile consistently. All that matters is that you can sustainably run for 3 miles. It doesn't matter how fast you do it. Focus on each week, and only that week. Focus on running 5 minutes straight, then 10, then 15, then 20, and so on. You can do it! Time doesn't matter! You can work on your speed later!
  • oscelyn
    oscelyn Posts: 54
    The C25K program by coolrunnings that I'm doing does NOT tell you to run 1/2 mile. It gives you the amount of time to run. So I'm not sure where you're getting that distance from. The people that wrote that program wrote it for beginners and know dang well beginners don't/can't run that fast.

Just concentrate on going the required amount of time and worry about distance later!
  • kelly_a
    kelly_a Posts: 2,010 Member

i did it this way as well. focus on time, distance can be worked on later. i did the program last summer and started it over again, working on distance. never completed it due to a shoulder injury. do what you feel comfortable with, and push yourself when you feel ready. give your muscles and bones plenty of time to rest and gain strength. good luck!
  • JennS19
    JennS19 Posts: 642 Member
    The C25K program by coolrunnings that I'm doing does NOT tell you to run 1/2 mile. It gives you the amount of time to run. So I'm not sure where you're getting that distance from. The people that wrote that program wrote it for beginners and know dang well beginners don't/can't run that fast.

Just concentrate on going the required amount of time and worry about distance later!

This is what I"m following too and I'm going to focus on time for my first go around and possibly my 2nd attempt as well. No point in getting all stressed out and possibly hurting my body and not finishing at all.

Good luck!
  • Tiana405
    THANK YOU ALL SOOOO VERY MUCH! Very helpful! : )
  • Tiana405
    TOTALLY AGREE! well put...
  • Tiana405

This is what I"m following too and I'm going to focus on time for my first go around and possibly my 2nd attempt as well. No point in getting all stressed out and possibly hurting my body and not finishing at all.

Good luck!

TOTALLY AGREE! well put...
  • Maztastic
    Maztastic Posts: 43
    I'm using the Get Running C25k app on my iPhone and as with coolrunnings it simply asks you to run for a specific period of time. So it seems to me that time must be the most important factor.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Actually... the official program @ Cool Runnings DOES specify distances AND times, beginning in Week 3 (http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml):

"Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then do two repetitions of the following:
    Jog 200 yards (or 90 seconds)
    Walk 200 yards (or 90 seconds)
    Jog 400 yards (or 3 minutes)
    Walk 400 yards (or three minutes)"

Week 4 throws down the 1/2 mile challenge:

"Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then:
    Jog 1/4 mile (or 3 minutes)
    Walk 1/8 mile (or 90 seconds)
    Jog 1/2 mile (or 5 minutes)
    Walk 1/4 mile (or 2-1/2 minutes)
    Jog 1/4 mile (or 3 minutes)
    Walk 1/8 mile (or 90 seconds)
    Jog 1/2 mile (or 5 minutes)"

I believe this is missed by many since the podcasts and apps, that most participants use, are based on time.

I do agree, though, that the best route is to concentrate on time for now, and pacing later.
This discussion has been closed.