above 1200

Options
I can never keep my calories <1200 I get so hungry, but I try to exercise everyday even if it's just a brisk walk.

Replies

• VialOfDreams
    Options
    Your body needs at least 1200 calories to survive. If you exercise, it is okay to go above 1200, just make sure you still have a calorie deficit, and watch your sugar intake and sodium. Also, drink plenty of water, as that will help with cravings too.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Why are you trying to stay under 1200 calories per day?
  • Paulette56
    Paulette56 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Can't see your diary, but you may need to replace high carb processed food with fresh foods with more bulk ie: Whole grains, fibrous vegies, etc. Don't try to cut out all fats--just the bad ones. If you cut out processed foods, most of the bad ones will be gone. Good fats: avacadoes, olive oil and the like help you feel full and aid in vitamin absorption. Hope this helps. Hang in there.
  • pretty_fit
    Options
    i didn't mean to go below 1200 I just meant to stay around that range and have a calorie deficit. I usually have more than 2500 a day but I'll try my best to cut out processed food
  • x98peterson
    x98peterson Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    WHAT! You usually have 2500, and you are trying to stay at 1200? You should never cut your calories that fast! Your body is in starvation mode! Only cut by 25% of total each MONTH! So cut to 2000 calories for a month, then the next month cut to 1500. Maybe that was a typo? Have you calculated your BMR?
  • pretty_fit
    Options
    my BMR is about 1450-1600 I am guessing...
  • runswithkats
    Options
    Yeah, I did the same thing. Didn't know about cutting the calories each month. Was eating about 2k a day and then cut to 1200. It just wasn't enough and I was soo tired. 1300 seems more realistic. I know I'll figure it out, just starting my journey too. :)
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    my BMR is about 1450-1600 I am guessing...

You don't need to guess. The Tools tab will tell you your BMR.

The Goals page will tell you how your goals were calculated.

MFP takes your BMR, adds a calorie allotment for the 'activity level' you chose (which is supposed to represent your workday-not workouts) and then subtracts calories from that number (BMR+activity level calories) to get your daily calorie goal.

If you set a goal of 2lb loss per week, the deficit will be 1000 calories per day. This is only meant for people with 50 pounds or more to lose.

If you have less than 50 pounds to lose, set it at 1lb per week and a 500 daily calorie deficit will be created.

If you have 15 or less, you may want to drop it to a half a pound per week and get a 250 calorie deficit.

When you do puposeful exercise-things not accounted for in your 'activity level'- you log them and MFP adds those calories back to your goal for that day. This maintains the deficit that MFP already calculated for you. For example, if your daily calories goal is 1300 and you exercise for 500 calories, MFP will change that day's calorie goal to 1800.
  • pretty_fit
    Options
    Ok my BMR is 1,351 calories a day.